(MarinSunFarms.com)

On Thursday, Pt. Reyes cattle rancher David Evans announced that his company would purchase Rancho Feeding Corp., the embattled Petaluma slaughterhouse that recently recalled nearly 9 million pounds of beef. Evans, founder of Marin Sun Farms and a fourth-generation rancher, says keeping the plant open is critical to the survival of small Bay Area beef producers. We’ll talk to Evans about his vision for a local, sustainable food system, and about challenges like the current California drought and the consolidation of the meat industry.

Guests:
David Evans, founder and chief executive of Marin Sun Farms

• Chris Scruton

Please ask David Evans how he can reduce water consumption of beef production.
    It takes 1800 gallons of water to produce a pound of beef. That’s 4 times what it takes for a pound of chicken and 7 times a pound of soybeans.
    Is there something that can be done, or should we just eat less beef?

• Christopher Scantland

All I’ve heard is that “diseased” cattle were processed. What disease? Was it Mad Cow?
    On a lighter note the best burger I’ve ever enjoyed was at Marin Sun Farms Cafe at Point Reyes Station before the flood. Homemade mayo: yum!

Christopher Scantland, Cazadero

• Kathleen

Thank you David Evans for keeping agriculture viable in Northern California. We can now continue to buy local food. Well done! Kathleen Bianchini von Raesfeld

• Agnes Lord

I think that $8 eggs and $8 ground beef only seems expensive when compared with the factory models that destroy our health and the health of our planet. I’d glady pay $8 for eggs rather than thousands for some illness later on in life.

• Bob Fry

We have the same food cost by eating less meat and more veggies, fruits, and carbs; but the meat we buy is better quality.

• Mic

Mr Evans Thank you for coming on to A Bay Area Radio Program to talk about this…

I am a daughter and Grand-daughter of Ranchers I know how hard you work. I appreciated what you had to say.

I want a unique animal to meat processor in the area – to be a leader in humane and healthy animal to meat processing – as California is a leader in the environment in other ways.

First I am glad you are re-newing the Animal to Meat Processing so animals do not have to travel more than necessary.

I give thanks for any minimal animal flesh I eat, and any humane treatment they received. This a precious food source and it has been not valued for what it is enough. Higher prices healthy animals and safer/healthier food they give us is what should be the norm.

Thank you for not wanting to waste the bones it is terrible waste – it is a travesty to the animals who’s lives were sacrificed. It was a tragedy when that warehouse with tons of Buffalo meat became unusable.

Would you please consider more humane ways of slaughter such as:

1. when unloading injured animals not using cattle prods to make them get up – but some kind of lifts like they use in Hospitals..

2. not hooking animals until they are completely un-consious

3. Not slaughtering in front of other animals (an halal ideas fr a friend of mine)

4. taking care of workers so they will not be so stressed dealing with animals and inspiring them to respect the beings they are killing for food – these people do not get enough breaks, or benefits…

5. maybe even include an Ecumenical team of religious leaders such as Native American religious leaders ministers, Halal Vets, priests, etc, to honor / pray for animals and humans who work with them. There are many seminaries with intern students in the area you might be able to tap into.

6 Encourage your animal producers avoid ill animals and conditions that cause ill animals –

And to be willing to use antibiotics as a treatment (not preventative) if necessary and allow weeks or months to allow the antibiotics to leave the animals systems.

BTW How long does that take? And good for you for not approving of low level of anti-biotic use in feed.

I appreciate that you are bringing in ideas of Temple Grandin but
    please also consider bringing in the ideas of Will Tuttle in the The World Peace Diet ?

Also please consider seeing the movie “Speciesism” which is coming out in theaters – This Thursday in Cupertino 2/27 7p is one!

Thank you

• Catherine Cronquist Browning

My husband and I are Marin Sun Farms CSA subscribers. Hearing David Evans on this program was very helpful in addressing our questions and concerns about the Rancho recall. We feel very confident in the quality of MSF products and will continue to subscribe. I understand why some felt this piece didn’t show multiple perspectives, but there were some hard-hitting listener questions and I think overall it was very balanced. After all, since the USDA is not commenting on their ongoing investigation, there is no opportunity to interview an official with more info on the reasons for the recall. I hope KQED will continue to follow this issue as it unfolds. Thanks to David Evans for being transparent and committed to sustainable practices.

• Stacy Loeffler Gradman

Kudos to David Evans! Living in the Pt. Reyes community I am a supporter of Sun Farms and their sustainable practices. I was concerned when I read the article about Rancho, fearing I would be stuck buying beef from who knows where.
    Moving from Texas seven years ago I had sticker shock when I went into Sun Farms and saw the prices. Now, when I go back to Texas, and have to endure the flavorless beef, I realize how fortunate I am to have local grass-fed beef available right around the corner. Yes, the prices are higher, so we eat smaller portion sizes, but oh what wonderful smaller portions they are! Thanks David for pulling Rancho’s fat outta the fire! 🙂

• Yuko

What David Evans is trying to do is laudable, and I’ve purchased Marin Sun Farms meat in the past. However, I have to wonder what would cause an entire year’s worth of processed meat to be recalled regardless of the producer. Prions that cause Mad Cow is virtually indestructible. You can’t kill it with chemicals or heat. If animals with the disease were processed using the same equipment as the healthy animals, meats from healthy animals would be contaminated. If Mad Cow were the cause, this facility should be shutdown and encapsulated forever like the British government did with the ash remains of their diseased cows. Until I know what really happened, I won’t be eating beef in the US.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor