California is challenging President Trump’s second attempt to severely restrict travel into the U.S., on Monday joining an amended lawsuit — along with the states of Washington, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York and Oregon — that seeks to have parts of the March 6 executive order invalidated.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the narrower travel ban issued last week was a “victory” for lawful permanent residents and current visa holders, who were targeted by Trump’s first order but excluded from the second. But in a statement on Monday announcing that California was joining the next legal fight over the issue, Becerra said the second ban — which still temporarily halts the nation’s refugee program and blocks travel from six Muslim-majority countries — was unconstitutional.

“Last month, our courts put a lid on the unconstitutional and un-American Trump Muslim travel ban because Americans stood up and demanded it. … But the fight for fair and lawful treatment of all who would seek permission to enter our country is not over,” Becerra said.

The second ban is scheduled to take effect Thursday, and the attorneys general are asking the courts to halt the order before then. The first ban went into effect for about a week before a judge stopped it.

“The Trump administration may have changed the text of the now-discredited Muslim travel ban, but they didn’t change its unconstitutional intent and effect. It is still an attack on people —women and children, professors and business colleagues, seniors and civic leaders — based on their religion and national origin,” Becerra said.

In their legal challenge, the attorneys general claim the new executive order will hurt residents, colleges and universities, health care providers and businesses. They also contend that it will cause the states to lose tax revenue and “undermine our sovereign interest in maintaining the separation between church and state, in upholding our non-discrimination policies and in remaining a welcoming place for immigrants and refugees.”

Author

Marisa Lagos

Marisa Lagos reports on state politics for KQED’s California Politics and Government Desk, which uses radio, television and online mediums to explore the latest news in California’s Capitol and dig deeper into political influence in the Golden State. Marisa also appears on a weekly podcast analyzing the week’s political news.

Before joining KQED, Marisa worked  at the San Francisco Examiner and Los Angeles Times, and, most recently, for nine years at the San Francisco Chronicle where she covered San Francisco City Hall and state politics, focusing on the California legislature, governor, budget and criminal justice. In 2011, she won a special award for extensive and excellent work in covering California justice issues from the National Council on Crime and Delinquency, and also helped lead the Chronicle's award-winning breaking news coverage of the 2010 San Bruno Pacific Gas & Electric explosion. She has also been awarded a number of fellowships from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York.

Marisa has a bachelor's degree from the University of California at Santa Barbara. She and lives in San Francisco with her two sons and husband. Email: mlagos@kqed.org Twitter @mlagos Facebook facebook.com/marisalagosnews

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor