censor

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor

Welcome to Do Now’s Special Series on “The Press, The Presidency & Propaganda”. We live in  a controversial and confusing political climate where there are daily disputes about what is factual and true, and what is not. We think it is important to have the vocabulary and media literacy background to  think critically about different ways the nation and its leaders speak and write about issues that matter to us.

Join us here on Wednesdays in February for Do Now questions exploring different aspects of the press and propaganda as it relates to the presidency and public knowledge.

February 1: Lying Politicians & Propaganda
February 8: Censorship
February 15: The Fourth Estate
February 22: Citizen Accountability

Censorship

Censorship is “the suppression of ideas and information that certain persons — individuals, groups or government officials — find objectionable or dangerous”. In extreme cases, those in power have censored their opposition by banning literature, silencing the media, and even causing physical harm to detractors in an effort to control the dominant narrative.

Censorship takes on many forms.

A high school principal prohibiting the student newspaper from running an article about drug use; a college campus canceling a speaking engagement based on objections to the guest’s work; and barring government agencies from publishing data, are all examples.

In these cases, the perceived impact of the information on the audience outweighs the speaker’s right to share that information in the first place.

In one such example, a high school principal decided that a student article exposing the practice of “dabbing”, or smoking the distilled version of marijuana’s active ingredient,  on campus was unsuitable for the school newspaper. While the author claimed that many students already knew about the practice, the principal and other school administrators were unaware of the activity. Did their lack of knowledge, or perception of danger warrant censorship of the article?

How does this translate to a White House administration whose stance on scientific issues differs from that of the agencies it oversees?

Does the administration have the right to determine what information is shares with the media, and subsequently, the public?

Trump and the EPA

The Trump Administration barred the Environmental Protection Agency from sharing data about tax-funded research, and mandated that studies or data be reviewed by the administration before it’s released to the public.

Critics have called the move an attempt to censor environmental data. Others have dismissed it as common practice of a transitioning administration.

Describe a time you or someone you know was barred from speaking their mind or sharing information? What was your reaction?

Respond in the comments below or on Twitter using the hashtag #DoNowCensorship.

Also, this…

What Being a Journalist in the Middle East Taught Me About How Censorship Really Works [Vox]

Free Speech Advocates, Publishers Wrestle With Questions of Censorship [NPR]

• Ciana Bell

Propaganda is seen everywhere on a daily basis, we cannot even walk down the streets without seeing a form of propaganda. With that being said, the most recent form of propaganda that I have witnessed, aside from the recent Presidential election, is the women’s march protests. When I first witnessed these protests I was aggravated, yes what they are advocating for is extremely important, the way they are going about it does nothing but create an uproar. By protesting, they are advocating something that they are bias for, not allowing for others to form their own opinions, you get this feeling of you are either in or you’re out. This form of propaganda is done to sway the audience in one direction or the other. Attached is an article addressing the women’s march protest, showing a vast amount of propaganda that the protest is consisted of. http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/23/14354434/womens-march-on-washington-social-media-twitter-app
    #donowpropaganda #MyCMSTArgs

• Tt

I know the question isn’t asking us to identify our stance on Trump’s censorship but I first would like to touch on that. Trump’s mandate that the EPA must send through their data on tax-fundended research for review by his administration is censorship and it violates our first amendment rights. His administration should not have the right to pick and choose the statistics they want posted for the country. We as citizens fund these programs and deserve to know the full truth of the EPA’s investigations. The idea of censorship is not a new idea. My high school had policies in place to restrict free speech of the students to protect the “safety” of others. While I understand that most students in high school are still under the age of 18 and not viewed as full citizens in the United states, I don’t agree with the censorship. The school itself is government property funded by taxpayers’ dollars and the federal government which should allow the future citizens and leaders of this country to discuss ideas and topics with out fearing for repercussions from the school. Very similar stories happen across the country, many involving the silencing of students discussing relevant topics to their day lives and those of their peers (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/a-principal-yanked-a-drug-article-from-a-student-newspaper-so-it-ran-online/2015/04/05/26588068-d4ce-11e4-ab77-9646eea6a4c7_story.html?utm_term=.05d38e544b92). I definitely do not agree with any form of censorship. #DoNowCensorship

• Carly Campbell

I agree with you, I don’t think we should censor anything. But at the same time, people should know when it’s not appropriate to say certain things. So, with that being said i’m pretty wishy washy on this subject because I do believe we should have some kind of speech codes. You actually might be the girl I was debating in class on this topic.. Its hard to draw a line and if we did implement censorship and speech codes it could probably get out of line and people would be finding loopholes to twist things. So overall, I think you’re right to say that speech codes and censorship isn’t ideal. #DoNowSensorship

• Estrella Perez

I agree with you, the first amendment speaks about giving us freedom of speech so we can’t violate this law, were contradicting ourselves on our own laws. Its understandable that no one wants to abused verbally by there race, color, gender, or other things that people find to pin point to attack. We as people have the right to respond or act differently to these negative outcomes and think of strategical ways to avoid hate. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Seryna Valencia

Before answering the question about barring information, I first want to respond to the article. I think that living in a free country, “free” should include the freedom to know all information without censorship. If three is information to know then I think that we the people have the right to know what it is. According to https://www.aclu.org/other/what-censorship censorship by the government is unconstitutional. A time when I witnessed someone being stopped from sharing information was back in high school. One of my peers was not allowed to be nominated for twirps king because he was not a positive school role model. Myself being in student government (the group in charge of putting on the twirps dance) witnessed plenty of back lash from the student body. The student government class knew why he was not able to run, even though he was nominated, but were not allowed to tell others. The reason he was not able to run, in my mind, unfair. He had the votes so he should have a chance because nowhere in the nomination rules did it say that you had to maintain a certain GPA or have a clean detention slate, yet he was taken off the list. I was so frustrated that we were not allowed to explain why he was taken off the list to other students. They were the ones who voted to nominate him and they should have the right to know why he was not there. I felt like I was breaking a law or something by keeping quiet witch felt gross. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Yasmin Gonzalez

I agree with your statement that free should mean free, we are contradicting what our country stands for by censoring. We are entitled to know information and to give information without restrictions, policies and rules. We don’t realize how embedded censorship is in our everyday lives and we don’t do anything about it. We earned this right and we deserve it with no “protection” from this information. Those who are applying the censorship will say that it is for our protection but who are they to choose what we are protected from. Your experience is a good example of this, I am sure that the school would say it was for the students protection but whether it was in reality or they had another reason behind it is unknown. It should ultimately have been the student who was was taken off the list to be the one to choose whether they wanted the reason to be known or not. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Yasmin Gonzalez

We always read about how in places like North Korea the government censors whatever they please. What we don’t realize is how censored the u.s. is as well. We are so censored to the point of not even seeing it when it is right under our noses and part of our everyday life. For example, church, we are censored in the way that we aren’t allowed to cuss and use God’s name in vain. In schools we are told what to learn and have to abide by a dress code. One big form of censorship which I have been learning about in my communications and debate class is speech codes in universities. These codes are established in order to prevent hate speech but none the less they are taking away from our freedom of speech right by censoring our thoughts and ideas regardless of whether they are hateful or not. “FIRE defines a “speech code” as any university regulation or policy that prohibits expression that would be protected by the First Amendment in society at large”. https://www.thefire.org/spotlight/what-are-speech-codes/ Living with three roommates there is bound to be differences in opinion especially when it comes to politics, we can’t always have the same views. During this recent presidential election three out of the four of us are democratic and were voting for Hillary Clinton, while our other roommate was republican and voting for Trump. This caused some awkward tension and when we attempted to talk to her about why we believed that she should vote for Hillary she refused to listen and became enraged. She didn’t want to hear it because she didn’t agree. She then went on to tell us that she didn’t want us speaking about politics in our apartment because it annoyed her and just brought tension and irritation. My reaction was that what she was asking was ridiculous, we wanted to know why she was going to vote for Trump and teach her why we thought that was the wrong choice and despite tension and confrontation it was something we were passionate about and wanted to discuss with her. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Carly Campbell

When I was in high school, I noticed that the dynamics of the classrooms were quite interesting. Males mostly dominated the talking points, but this was because a teacher or teachers would allow them to. When a female were to speak (not always), a male usually had a “better” or my accurate answer to the question. Although teachers allowed males to talk over us a silence us, they wouldn’t necessarily let women talk over men. Now, i’m not saying this is for every classroom and every teacher. But I believe that men silence women everyday in the workplace, on tv and in the classroom. We then get used to this type of behavior because it happens so much and and then it becomes the norm. After being silenced in the classroom I felt shocked, but then after the second and third time I started to feel disappointed and felt like I wasn’t smart like many other women that face this issue. Here is an article about silencing women in the classroom by Vanderbilt University: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/litspace/p193_s.pdf #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Edward Lampkin

I’m very sorry to hear that Carly. Although this is not the same thing, I do feel like this is somewhat related. I often notice “mansplaining” in the news or on talk shows. I recognized it even before I knew the term or looked up anything on it. Sometimes it’s as basic as a man using a softer tone but the one that really gets to me is when they use “honey” or “sweetheart”(I like those words just not when they’re used like that). No one should feel belittled or unintelligent in the classroom, it doesn’t promote growth or create a positive learning environment. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Ciana Bell

Hi Carly, I have had very similar experiences as you did in high school, and to be honest there are times where I experience this in college as well. I also completely agree that men are continuously overpowering women in many aspects of life. I think it is extremely important that everyone is more aware of the censorship that goes on around us and I fell as though teachers everywhere need to be more considerate in classrooms and give everyone a fair chance. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Edward Lampkin

While I don’t have a specific example of someone actually barring me from speaking, I do have an example of someone providing an environment in which people were afraid to speak up because of fear. Last semester in one of my classes I remember someone asking a question and the professor responded in not only a condescending tone, but was just generally unhelpful. I wasn’t the only one to notice this as it because a constant topic of conversation before the professor would arrive. A few weeks passed and it happened a couple more times leading up to what I call “The great silence”. Everyone came to class and wouldn’t say anything at all. The professor actually called us out mistaking our silence for not doing the reading but of course no one was going to explain that. Being afraid to speak out is horrible, especially when it’s in the classroom. http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-national-park-service-tweets/ (this is a link to a recent event on the topic) #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Owen Smith

I appreciate how, when not being able to directly respond to the question with a personal example, you were still able to deliver an answer that satisfied all of the requirements the question set forth. I can also agree and relate to the scenario that you listed. When a teacher is overly opinionated it can stifle a student’s need to speak their mind.
      #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Kelsey Bridewell

This seems to happen quite frequently on not only our campus but all educational institutions across the nation. Teachers and professors are constantly shutting down new perspectives of other students so that we only see one perspective, their’s. I know for a fact that I’m not going to offer any of my opinions in class anymore in one of my classes this semester. I was the only one to raise my hand and answer a question in class just last week, and he made me feel completely belittled and quite frankly stupid. Yes, my answer wasn’t quite correct but it was close, and he asked a question that could have had multiple answers! It’s just not ok for educators to make their students feel as though they can’t speak their mind in these amazing learning environments that we call universities. College campuses especially need to find a cure for the above mentioned, “great silence”.

• Estrella Perez

I remember a student in high school in my health class was stopped from

speaking any further of a certain topic. We were learning about effects
    on drugs and a student wanted to share what they have seen from
    experience and curious what the professor had to say as feedback. She
    refused on the topic any further and to not bring up personal
    experiences. I understand that its something we do not want to share to
    everyone but the more someone becomes educated in effects of drugs, will
    have better safety precautions and get to learn necessary things. It was a topic we were covering and my peer went more in depth than expected and got upset because she couldn’t answer the question. Article :https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/a-principal-yanked-a-drug-article-from-a-student-newspaper-so-it-ran-online/2015/04/05/26588068-d4ce-11e4-ab77-9646eea6a4c7_story.html?utm_term=.ce696900af66#comments

#MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Joanna Aguilar

I totally agree with you, I think its actually better to apply personal experiences, and stories to have a better understanding of how these drugs may effect or have effected other people.

• Eric Ascencio

Estrella, I think the student should have been aloud to continue talking and express his view point, i dont think there should be any censorship in the classroom because we are in a learning environment and we should all be open to learning new things and hearing peoples views and experiences #MyCMST #DoNowCensorship

• Dollie Partida

When I was younger I had a friend that was really shy. They told me about their experience in one of her classes. I don’t remember exactly what the topic or class was. Basically she was telling me how hard it was for her to speak out and the her words were being buried. She’s a person of color and also very introvert. The others were speaking on the topic loudly and intimidated her to speak about how she really felt. I remember my reaction was anger and empathy. I was angry that she was silenced and unable to speak about things she felt really were important. I also felt bad for her and it sucked seeing her have all the passion about the subject but was unable to speak and project it.

• Joanna Aguilar

I am a type of Christian that not a lot of people know about, and I remember one day I was with a group of people talking about what we’re doing for the holidays (I can’t celebrate holidays other than 4th of July and birthdays), so as everyone was talking about what they were doing, I just said I don’t celebrate and everyone was asking like why not. I was trying to explain to them what our beliefs are and for the most part everyone I was telling was interested that they kept asking questions and I didn’t mind at all, but there was one person who was not interested and just made the statement of how it wasn’t an appropriate subject because they all do celebrate. I was not nor do I judge people because of what they believe in or do based on their values, so I was shocked because I was only answering these questions and got into the subject because people asked.
    #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Owen Smith

Trying to think back on a time when I, or someone I knew was censored, brought me back to my time in high school athletics. As a student athlete, there was a document which was a mandatory component of competing, that needed to be signed in order to participate on the team. The document included a lot of information, but most notably forbade any student athletes from speaking of the team, players, or coaches, in a negative light. While this particular form of censorship did not necessarily change my life in any meaningful way, at the time I felt as though this infringed on my rights to speak my mind. While this particular incident was non-consequential, oftentimes censorship can be a very serious matter with real consequences. I believe, that in many situations, including Trump’s current censorship of the EPA, barring information can be extremely negative, and begins to come into conflict with our right to freedom of expression, granted to us by the first amendment of the Bill of Rights. I have a hard time believing that in all cases of censorship, the things being censored are always either extremely offensive, or would put people into unwarranted danger. In this particular case, the Trump administration seems to be choosing to silence one opinion simply because it discredits or goes against their own. It is my opinion that in very, very rare cases censorship can be a helpful and necessary tool when implemented correctly. However, in the vast majority of scenarios, there should be no silencing of opinions or promotion of close-mindedness.
    https://www.aclu.org/other/what-censorship
    #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Kelsey Bridewell

When trying to remember a time when someone I know has been censored, I think of my junior year of high school. I had this know it all history teacher that wasn’t necessarily open to other perspectives. When professors choose textbooks it’s sometimes because the school has required them to do so, but it is also because they have read the textbook and are in agreement with the viewpoint of the author. One day, a student brought up some new perspectives on the topic of slavery, that he had read in a book on the specific topic. He had all these facts to back him up, but our teacher wasn’t having it. He cut the student off and asked him to stay after class. I was bummed because I was intrigued by their argument. This story end in a happy one though, because the next day our teacher announced to the class that he had gone home and done some further research on the specific section of the book they were discussing and came to the understanding that there were two sides to the story. I was bummed out though, because we never heard anything further on the topic. The teacher apologized to the class and the student and we continued.

• Eric Ascencio

i cant really think of a time someone has been censored but I really disagree with censorship, I think you should be able to say whatever you want whenever you want. That is our right as an American. People these days are so sensitive you have to be so careful about what you say around people and in public because you never know who you are going to offend. I think this is a generational issue because in the past it has not been like this. People say crazy stuff all the time but i think people take it out of context and blow it out of proportion. I think society as a whole has become so sheltered and soft that we cant say certain things because it will offend someone somewhere. I think people have to much time on there hands to be able to protest and complain about what people say. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs http://library.sonoma.edu/about/news/censorship-united-states

• Carrie Requa

I completely agree. In a perfect world everyone would be able to say whatever they want and wouldn’t be judged for it. Unfortunately, our society has shaped us to either be silenced or silence ourselves due to the fear of being judged or might offend someone. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Neve Roby

I couldn’t think of a time that I’d been censored either but I agree that censorship is whack. I agree that people should be able to say whatever they want, whenever they want thats what the first amendment is for. I agree that people are pretty sensitive these days and it seems like everything someone says is going to offend someone for one reason or another. I think society is becoming more sheltered too. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Carrie Requa

I think throughout my every day life I personally face some type of silencing. Although a majority of the time I may not even notice it, I know that I do face it every day. An example that I could think of relating to censorship would be conversations that are and are not considered “appropriate”. I have found myself in many situations while at school etc. where there is a group of people discussing a certain topic and I feel as if I can’t join because of certain factors; such as my sex, status, or nationality. Although this isn’t someone silencing me, it is a form of self silencing where I feel as if I will be judged for comments that I may make. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Lee V

I totally understand what you’re saying! If your opinion is the minority opinion , even among friends it can be suppressed. If one brings up a counter point to an argument a group is making, sometimes they can be very dismissive and gang up on that opposing position and then, no matter how factual or logical the point may be, it gets rejected and silenced.
      #MyCMSTArgs

• Lee V

I feel like censorship is apparent in a lot of settings. A personal memory of mine is writing for my high school newspaper as a senior. I was involved in leadership as well and was trying to write a piece about the difficulties getting the school district to help fund our senior events. I hadn’t even composed a draft yet when the administration came into our journalism class and asked to see me. They took me outside and told me I was not allowed to write my piece, and how inconsiderate I was being of them. They said it put them in a difficult spot having to explain to the superintendent why there were articles about them in our newspaper. I hadn’t even written a draft yet, there was no evidence I was going to critique any person, or even the system. But the administration felt they had to use their authority to save themselves from what they perceived would be an awkward meeting and censor me and my newspaper.

• Seryna Valencia

I can unfortunately see this happening. Schools do a very good job at keeping what might make them look bad on the down low. Because you were in high school you were probably seen as a minor threat, yet one that needed to be censored because you have a voice. I think that you should have written your piece anyway and at least let the story be known even if it was not in your schools news paper because your seniors had the right to understand why they were lacking funding. High school is a time of growth and a place where students should not be censored because that can scare that person from never saying what needs to be said for the remainder of their years. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Katrina Bjork

Censorship can be a difficult issue for schools and universities. Writing a paper about how it is hard to get funding from the school district to help fund senior events could be offensive for the school to run since the paper is criticizing the district. At the same time you are writing that paper for the senior class to get the school district to realize how difficult it is to get funding. You are simply stating the opinion and facts for the senior class. Censorship is what stopped that paper from running.
      #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Jacob Catala

On Trump giving out information on tax-funded research is insane! If we the people are paying for it then then how can he say that it needs to be reviewed before being shared to the public. For him say that administration needs to review it before being released to the public sounds like to me that he has a lot to hide or possibly could cover up what is wrong from the american people. To me I feel like this a violation of our rights as citizens because as naive as it sounds I believe that there is no reason why our government can not be as honest and forth coming as possible with us. #MyCMSTArg

• Ciana Bell

I have fallen victim to and seen censorship everyday and everywhere. Whether it is someone overpowering me with their speech or being dismissed for mine. With that being said, there was a time in my life where I can remember being censored and it was with regards to the news. As many are aware the news is extremely censored, and more often then not we do not get the full story or even the true story. Therefore when I began to express my feelings and point of view regarding the news that contrasted the individual I was speaking too, I was immediately shut down by those around me because what I said opposed the news station we were watching. Simply because my point of view opposes another should never be a reason to censor an individual. Also, censoring our news creates for a naive society. In all, individuals everywhere need to practice avoiding censorship on others along with pushing to not let censorship affect our free speech. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Lizet Ortega

I Agree with you, I honestly feel like there’s plenty others out there who have shut down for the same reason, for speaking up. A person should never have to experience this just for sharing their beliefs, we live in a country where the word “freedom of speech” is written in the first amendment of our constitution, therefore you are right, simply because someone’s point of view opposes another it shouldn’t be a reason to be censored. Censorship will only encourage opposition among different groups of people simply because they don’t want to be a part of a naive society, as you stated above. Really good post! #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Justis Haruo Kusumoto

Ciana, I both agree and disagree with a number of your assertions. How is the news being censored? Can you provide any evidence that it goes beyond what your article suggests? The way you word your assertion seems to imply that media is censored beyond just the names of rape victims, graphic images, or of sensitive, classified materials. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Mackenna Neal

I really like your example of the news. It is such a great example of censorship that many people overlook today. It is important to watch news stations that may go against our beliefs, so that we can expand our knowledge and have thought through each side of the argument. This will prevent idealogical polarization amongst us and contain the notion of “us vs them” that we have stuck in our heads. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship @2ndheartmom

• Katrina Bjork

Censorship is a huge topic these days because of all the political and social situations happening throughout the world right now. I find censorship in everyday life just around the campus alone. I have been told by professors that on certain topics I should keep my opinion to myself and not state my thoughts on a certain subject if it could potentially conflict with someone else’s belief’s. In my opinion, no matter what you say about a certain subject, your going to be conflicting with someone else’s beliefs. I was told to censor my response. Censorship has become such a topic on universities that according to California State-Santa Barbra student government, “The student government at the University of California–Santa Barbara, for example, passed a resolution requiring trigger warnings on every syllabus with no penalties for students who skip a trigger class or assignment” (Klugman, 2015, p.1). https://psmag.com/trigger-warnings-on-college-campuses-are-nothing-but-censorship-a71cf8de272e#.bf0naxfe0 #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Tt

I agree with you that college campus’ definitely should not censor free speech, especially on public, governmentally funded universities. We will be the future leaders and we while we have a right to speak freely I also think its an important time to begin learning how to speak to classmates, faculty, and larger public audiences of a multitude of different races, genders, sexualities, and nationalities. It is also an important time to learn that speakers have a right to speak and we have a right to listen to what we choose to as well. Listening and responding to these possibly negative arguments and learning to make constructive remarks in return is something you don’t learn in other settings. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• gen

I Agree professors have been telling people to keep opinions to themselves as the conversations can escalate.

• John Potiris

I supported Trump and voted for him but it is a shame to see tax funded research be silenced. The research he silenced was climate change and it is controversial but needs to be heard. He is our President now but we must speak out in what ways we can and not stand for silencing voices even if they are opposing views. How are we supposed to have a discussion if we don’t have the facts. Pbs does a great job giving a brief history, description, and discussion of censorship along with some great quotes provided by the article. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/whodecides/definitions.html #MyCMSTArgs

• Braden D

I agree with you! I am an avid trump supporter and republican but that sort of behavior by our commander in chief is unacceptable. We deserve the right to know whats going on in this country. Even in the Obama administration the Flint Michigan water crisis seemed to just “disappear.” We deserve to know what is going on in this country.

• Lizet Ortega

I’ve seen this kind of behavior my entire life, it’s in our history books! The government doesn’t like individuals who try to speak their minds, in fact, they hate those who speak against them. It is such a shame that the year of 2017 we are still dealing with censorships of cultures, beliefs and traditions just because we have no knowledge of them. In my opinion, as a social institution, a university or high school should be open to all opinions, specially those who come from their own students. We live in a society that teaches their students to encourage an artificial reality and it prevents students to tolerate diversity or beliefs that they don’t agree with. Instead of teaching our students to reject everything that goes against what they believe in, we should teach them to be open-minded, understand that there’s a world out there full of diversity, capitalism, religions, cultures, traditions, democracy and even dictatorships. They need to realize they live in a country that supports freedom of speech, in a country where many people don’t agree in many things whether political, religious or cultural- a country build on diversity!
    Now, I am aware there are subjects that are considered “inappropriate” to many institutions but, why don’t we stop teaching students what’s considered inappropriate and focus on teaching them how to deal with a situation like this if they ever experience it? Also, one thing is to censor something but now our Environmental Protection Agency is barred from sharing data from tax-funded research? How are we even sure this fund is being used to do research? I mean, didn’t he say he doesn’t believe in Global Warming? I honestly don’t even think he is using any of that money to fund a research on something he doesn’t believe in…#MyCMSTArgs

• Melanie Funk

I can’t recall a specific time I was censored, but I don’t agree with censorship at all. What will we learn from only hearing censored information? Give the public all of the information and let them do with it what they want. We’re left in the dark about so much because we’re only receiving censored information. This site (https://sites.psu.edu/worldwidewomen/censorship-effects-on-society/) goes into greater detail as to why censorship is not a positive thing. If we’re not given all of the information or false information, we become an uneducated society. Censorship is a way of controlling what we know. #MyCMSTArgs

• Neve Roby

There hasn’t been a specific time that I can think of that I’ve felt like I was being censored. In high school we weren’t allowed to wear certain brands like huff socks or anything with swear words on it but thats about the only time I can think of being censored. I don’t think censorship is necessary a lot of the time that its used, I think its used when people put out unpopular opinions or opinions that go against the government and such. With the way that politics is right now I think people can expect a lot more censorship happening; President Trump likes to call any new site that posts something about him that isn’t positive “fake news”. The New York Times has a well written article about how the media is beginning to be censored https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/business/media/trump-era-media-censorship.html?_r=0. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Braden D

As a United States citizen we are given a large number of freedoms, which include freedom of speech. I have been blessed to never be forced to say or not say anything that has been on my mind. Being on a college campus some students may feel like their thoughts and beliefs make them feel outcasted on that campus. As a conservative I could not agree more to this statement. On college campuses there has been a recent attack on college republicans. Within one night of having a “Make America Great Again” sign in my front yard, my car managed to get egged and the sign get shredded. Most teachers will bash Donald Trump and the majority of the class will agree. I do not feel silenced at all but I feel uncomfortable in many situations to express my beliefs. With that being said no one has gone out of their way to shut me up.

I attended an all boys highschool so naturally we were extremely talented at sports, but also competitive. Our basketball games were the best to go watch because our student section was huge and always loud. Each year we would do a patriotic themed student section. Long story short the other school we were playing against thought that U.S.A stood for you suck ass. There was a massive ordeal and essentially our principal banned anyone from wearing red, white and blue to basketball games. The day after this email was sent out texts started flying and it was planned, everyone was going to wear their most patriotic attire to school. Flags were rigged to trucks, kids panted mini flags all throughout the quad, it was awesome.

If you read my previous paragraphs you probably already know that I am a Trump supporter. I do not agree with his motion to keep the EPA all hush hush. I also believe that the highschool made the right decision to not publish that article. There are some things that are just plain silly to do and publishing an article about smoking pot is extremely unacceptable for a school news paper to talk about. I believe the school does have this right especially because not all of its students are of legal age to smoke pot. I find it quite ironic however that the school was not aware of dabbing and choose to remove the article. If it was something much less controversial than marijuana I believe the administration should be required to learn about the subject before making a decision like that. The white house should be operating the same way but sadly politicians are all dead set on party loyalty and fairly close minded.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/conservative-liberal-college-campus/story?id=23443117

• gen

I would love to say that censorship does not exist and we all have freedom of speech in the United States but truthfully speaking we are limited. There have been many occasions where consequences and punishments were given to people who state opinions or beliefs that contradict someone of higher power. We think we are free but really we have limits everywhere we go, some schools have dress codes and speech codes limiting students. Even restaurants and stores have some form of dress code and adequate standard people have to live up to. Those who have tested the idea of free speech have quickly discovered that we really aren’t as free as we like to think. Some things are protected by the first amendment but some are not it just depends.Many people say they haven’t experienced censorship, but they secretly have. We see people who protest get in trouble all the time just for strongly believing in something and trying to fight for what they believe in.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bryton-mellott-flag-burning_us_577be671e4b0a629c1aadb96
    #MyCMSTArgs

• Kanako

Actually, I couldn’t come up with any examples of censorship at first because I had an impression that we are assured by freedom of speech. However, your examples made me think that censorship is everywhere. What you raised is very common to happen, and I realized that I am also forced to be silenced without noticing such a thing. #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship @2ndheartmom

• Justis Haruo Kusumoto

I was once barred from speaking my mind by criticizing Russian foreign policy because I offended an unnamed employee at my school by reciting a poem mocking Putin’s policies. I found this hypocritical as this same employee had used his position to make a number of controversial assertions. I responded by demonstrating this hypocrisy to administrators, and was allowed to continue with my speech in the future so long as it would be outside this indivdual’s purview.
    I always oppose censorship in learning environments because it is a recipe for abuse, propaganda, and limiting discussions on critical topics. I especially find it hypocritically that people on the far right, particularly evangelicals, make fun of PC culture and safe spaces and censorship when they often are the worst offenders. Take Jerry Falwell at Liberty University, who recently censored an anti-Trump column at the pre-eminent institution of higher learning for evangelicals and conservatives: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjXyaDE_rHSAhVI0mMKHakABQoQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politico.com%2Fstory%2F2016%2F10%2Fjerry-falwell-donald-trump-liberty-229964&usg=AFQjCNFHZaF8mWaEOMYCbWinr-tWBGUUFQ&bvm=bv.148073327,d.cGc

#MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Kanako

We had a very big election last year, and all the American people around me always complained about Donald Trump. It is true that his statements and policies are extreme. However, I sometimes wondered how Donald Trump supporters felt in this situation… I guess some of the supporters had no choice but being silenced or pretending that they were also against Donald Trump, or they might have been blamed just like him. Anyway, it was very interesting to observe American people during this season. #DoNowCensorship #MyCMSTArgs

• Zachary Trovatore

Kanako, I agree with you that this election held high emotional influence on most voters! It seemed very black and white, as in, you were either a Trump supporter, or a Clinton supporter. No-one seemed to be in between as there was much controversy about the character of both candidates (especially Trump). This election was definitely one for the books as it really divided our nation.

• Juan Benitez

Kanako, I completely agree with you. I’ve never seen an election divide the country as much as this last one did. Especially living in California, I noticed the most hate and anger towards Donald trump. It was almost impossible for a Donald trump supporter to comment in his defense, without being shunned or accused of being just like him; during the many classroom debates that I experienced in my college.

• Zachary Trovatore

I remember at the time of the election I was barred from speaking my mind by my fellow co-workers. During break three or four of my co-workers were conversing and eating when the topic of politics arose. I classify as an independent and at the time I wasn’t choosing either side, rather weighing out the pros/cons of each. My co-workers are all republican however, and after I tried to challenge an issue about Trumps potential foreign policy, I was immediately shut down from the conversation, and my rebuttal was ignored, this is known as cognitive dissonance – http://www.simplypsychology.org/cognitive-dissonance.html. I ended up exiting the conversation and area immediately. The moral of the story is that in order to uphold a belief, you need to accept all points of view in order to justify your reasons logically.
    #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship

• Mackenna Neal

The idea of being silenced relates directly to the communication theory, The Spiral of Silence, by Elisabeth Noelle-Nueman. This theory suggests that people with a minority viewpoint on a subject will not openly discuss or ‘admit’ the way they feel. This silence is caused by the overpowering majority viewpoint, that will berate the person with the minority view. The question of whether someone has ever been silenced is one that most people can answer yes to. Rather than being silenced by one individual telling you “no”, most people are silenced by society and the fear of being isolated. This fear of isolation keeps an opposing argument from ever gaining traction. We need to overcome this barrier and realize that more people might have the same view on something with you than you think. Speak up! #MyCMSTArgs #DoNowCensorship @2ndheartmom

• Juan Benitez

I have personally witnessed censorship my whole life, whether its been from my parents or my teachers; Someone almost always has something to say. An example of this was when one of my classmates in high school wanted to come out as being gay. After he had come out to his family and close friends, they pressured him to not come out to his teachers and peers at our high school. They had suggested this, because our high school was catholic and they feared that he would have been treated unfairly by them. Therefore he did not come out to everyone else, until he had finally graduated high school. I thought this was a form of censorship, because he did not get to express himself.

Author

Chanelle Ignant

Chanelle is the Youth Participation Coordinator for KQED Education. She has worked with various Bay Area youth media organizations and is an independent media maker.