YAB Flyer V2 final final

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor

Are you a high school student who likes sharing your opinion? Do you believe in the power of media to educate and empower? Do you want to be part of building something new and exciting? Then join the KQED Education Youth Advisory Board!

[Applications for the 2016-2017 school year are currently closed.]

What is it?

KQED is a public media organization that delivers important news and stories to Northern California on TV, radio and the web. We also create interactive tools and content to help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms. And we want to hear from you.

We want teen voices to help us better serve young people with meaningful media content in and out of the classroom. You can expect to:

• Hear pitches from KQED staff on new products and media // Questions like, what do you think of our new web series? What topics are interesting to you?
  • Analyze and discuss ideas on how to improve media use in the classroom // This is our plan to get more students making media, what are your ideas?
  • Provide feedback on current and future KQED media and education tools // Here’s a new product we’re designing for students–what works and what doesn’t? How would you design it?

Your ideas and opinions will make an impact on KQED’s work, which is seen and heard nationwide.

Who are we looking for?

All high school student voices are welcome! You can be someone who enjoys using media and following interesting content, or someone who makes media yourself. We love creative thinkers, people who don’t necessarily fit in a box, those who can represent non-mainstream, underrepresented voices, and anyone who’s curious and excited about all kinds of media–social media, video, podcasts, blogs, and more.

Whether you’re outgoing or on the shy side, comfort with working in a group and a willingness to share your opinion is essential (and we’ll provide the tools and support to do that!).

Why get involved?

Youth Advisory Board members gain valuable leadership and communication skills, experience going behind-the-scenes of the media making process, and exposure to different career paths in media. It’s a great opportunity to build community with other Bay Area teens, learn more about media making, and use your voice to help KQED provide better programming to students and the KQED audience as a whole.

Requirements:

• High School Student in Grades 9-12
  • Interest in media or media production, and/or at least one of our key areas of interest: News, Arts, Science, Education
  • Interest in advising and giving input on various KQED programs, products and initiatives
  • Attend after-school meetings every other week at KQED in San Francisco

When is it?

• The Youth Advisory Board meets every other Tuesday from 4:30pm to 6:30pm
    • Orientation meeting is Tuesday, October 25, 2016
    • Regular meetings begin Tuesday, November 1, 2016 and conclude May 2, 2017
    • Meeting Dates:
October 25** January 10 March 21
November 1 January 24 April 4
November 15 February 7 April 18
November 29 February 21 May 2
December 13 March 7 **Orientation

Where is it?

KQED is located at 2601 Mariposa St in the Mission District of San Francisco.

Compensation

Youth Advisory Board members will receive a $400 Visa Gift Card for their participation. Plus, yummy snacks during meetings.

For those where travel to and from meetings would pose a challenge, we have some needs-based funds for transportation.

*There’s also an opportunity to apply for a part-time, paid internship after completing the Youth Advisory Board term, which would look great on your resume or college application.

Join us!

APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2016

Eligible applicants will be notified no later than the first week of October to schedule an in-person interview.

Author

Chanelle Ignant

Chanelle is the Youth Participation Coordinator for KQED Education. She has worked with various Bay Area youth media organizations and is an independent media maker.