upper waypoint

Bakari Sellers Reflects on ‘My Vanishing Country’ and Systemic Racism

23:50
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Bakari Sellers, author of "My Vanishing Country"

Bakari Sellers says the most important day of his life happened before he was even born; February 8 1968 when highway patrolmen opened fire on students protesting segregation in South Carolina, killing 3 and wounding 28, including Seller’s father. Sellers, who became the youngest person to be elected to the South Carolina legislature, writes about how the trauma of the incident permeated his childhood in  his memoir, “My Vanishing Country.”  Now a lawyer and CNN political analyst, Sellers joins us to talk about the effects of systemic racism and what the killing of George Floyd by police, more than a half a century after his father’s shooting, tells us about the state of America.

Guests:

Bakari Sellers, attorney, CNN political analyst, former South Carolina state representative and author of "My Vanishing Country"

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Inside Mexico's Clandestine Drug Treatment CentersWhat’s Next for Pro-Palestinian Campus ProtestsViolence Escalates in Sudan as Civil War Enters Second YearCity Lights Chief Book Buyer Paul Yamazaki on a Half Century Spent “Reading the Room”NPR's Sarah McCammon on Leaving the Evangelical ChurchKQED Youth Takeover: We’re Getting a WNBA TeamRainn Wilson from ‘The Office’ on Why We Need a Spiritual RevolutionForum From the Archives: Remembering Glide Memorial's Cecil WilliamsErik Aadahl on the Power of Sound in FilmKQED Youth Takeover: How Can San Jose Schools Create Safer Campuses?