They say timing is everything. Author Daniel Pink dug into the science of scheduling and timing for his new book, “When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing.” Pink joins us to talk about building ideal schedules, when to get married or switch careers and what we can do to lead more engaged lives.

Daniel Pink Reveals the ‘Secrets of Perfect Timing’ 13 February,2018Michael Krasny

Guests:
Daniel Pink, author, "When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing," "To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others," "Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us"

• Noelle

Maybe we should all take advantage of afternoon siestas!

• Ben Rawner

I read, even timing court dates can effect the outcome.

My question is how does sleeping, time and amount, effect performance?

• William – SF

When is the best time to make a sales call?

• Vern

No amount of selling will help save the democrats.

• Bogo Mips

How about never? Forgive me, you are probably referring to a professional context. But looking at your question, my mind went immediately to receiving telemarketing calls (with fake IDs) at the most irritating moments. timing indeed.

• William – SF

Indeed, unwanted sales calls are the worst. And yet there are products that are worthy of consideration but go unknown without some effort.

• Bogo Mips

🙂 Ok. I’ll bite. try me. What might I be interested in buying from you? Genuinely asking.

• William – SF

Oh, I develop and sell specialized software for engineers, not consumer products.
            I think the answer to my original question is “now”. 🙂

• Bogo Mips

Wait…no. Did you make note of my handle and decided to deliberately troll me? I don’t actually do much work with Linux, but if say your software is related to electronic design or automation/mechatronics, I’m gonna flip.

• Bogo Mips

The idea of peak, trough, and recovery is a nice guideline for mental work, but how do you fit physical exercise and fitness into a well rounded lifestyle? Is there a optimal time to work out and condition your physical as opposed to your mental workings?

• Vern

I think Pink may be late to the game on this topic… it’s hardly new.

• Noelle

There was an Indian romantic dramedy about the food delivery system he mentions, a guy gets someone else’s lunch and eventually develops a relationship with the cook…worth watching. Aha it’s called the Lunch Box.

• Vern

What does Mr Pink think about so called polyphasic sleep?

• Tony Nguyen

Now you know why African Americans are so poor. Timing.

• Shalini

I’m curious about research around Kindergarten start cut off dates and how it impacts academic success. Kids born after September 1st start Kindergarten and before then go to transition Kindergarten.

• Edward

is it time of day or calories that boosts performance at certain times? http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html

• Robert Thomas

As an example, this guy has thrown out the word “variance” a couple of times. Variance, σ², is a technical term, equal to the square go the standard deviation. Or, it’s a word meant colloquially to suggest some imprecise excursion from the mean. When the word is used in a quasi-scientific context, it’s hard to guess how it’s being used. He’s used “deviation” in the same off-hand way.

Man, sociology is really hard. In this haphazard way, mingling statistical results from a lot of different “studies” of vastly different quality can easily lead to upside-down and backward meta-conclusions that are worse than useless. Several of Mr Pink’s strong assertions are probably nearly right.

Remember biorhythms?

• codym

Now you know why African Americans are so poor. Timing.

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor