U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the press in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC on February 9, 2018.

In this hour, we’ll get two perspectives on the latest political news. First,  Republican National Committee spokesperson Kayleigh McEnany joins Michael Krasny on the program. Then at 9:30, we will check in with former California Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer.

GUESTS:

Kayleigh McEnany, national spokesperson, Republican National Committee; author, “The New American Revolution: The Making of a Populist Movement”

Barbara Boxer, Former Democratic U.S. senator from California

Monday Political Roundup with RNC’s Kayleigh McEnany, former Sen. Barbara Boxer 12 February,2018Michael Krasny

• Skip Conrad

Did the FBI really bug Trump Tower?

• Curious

Yep.

• Because Trump operatives were dealing with the Russians. That came out long ago.

• Curious

Nope. False. Hillary was dealing with and being paid by the Russians.

• Not worth further discussion.

• Curious

You certainly aren’t.

• BioMeister

Oh, great, here’s our least-favorite troll again. Please ignore him. He is here only to deflect and disrupt intelligent discussion..

• EIDALM

What a big giant mess we have in Washington, for the sake of the country, and us all we must must find resolution to the dark clouds and conflicts surrounding the Trump administration as soon as possible.

• Curious

Yeah, this economic boom after the 8 disatrous years of the Obama regime is jst terrible.

• Bubble.

• BioMeister

Oh, great, here’s our least-favorite troll again. Please ignore him. He is here only to deflect and disrupt intelligent discussion

• William – SF

Did DJT and Republicans in Congress really pass a tax bill to borrow $1.5 trillion from the U.S. Treasury to give to their wealthy friends and donors, and corporations already rich with historically high profits?

Did Speaker of the House Paul Ryan really brag about giving $1.50 more a week in take-home pay to average Americans?

Will DJT and Republicans in Congress really use “we can’t afford it” as an excuse to decimate the social safety net, consumer and environmental protections, education, and health care, yet insist on more money for the military?

• Noelle

If the Dems are smart they will need to hammer at your last point, or else there are really bad times ahead. I really worry if they are able to effectively communicate this.

• marte48

and we will just see more military in the streets – mostly black streets.

• I have heard this referred to on Pacifica Radio, which still has the guts, as “The Creeping Coup”: destroy the CIA and FBI, repurpose them as “consigliere,” and then have the military assume an ever larger role in our society. Seems to be in the cards. Who will stand against Trump then, when he is the Il Duce himself?

• Noelle

Yes, I laugh when people cite NPR as left wing.

• Another Mike

That’s because you are surrounded by left-wing folks, and think they’re moderate. Try spending a weekend in Turlock or Merced.

• Another Mike

William, this meme of “corporations already rich with historically high profits” is irrelevant. Corporations will always want “more.”

Right now, and for the past 30 years, “more” has meant operating overseas, largely because of tax advantages. Consider that Indians are trained in the Anglo-American legal system. They are trained physicians. They are trained accountants. Do you really want more legal briefs, radiology work, and tax filings to be performed by Indians living in India, instead of by Americans living in America?

• Noelle

Is it true that part of the infrastructure plan is to sell our highways to private toll road companies which can charge whatever the “market” will bear?

• That is rumored. We’ll see today.

• Noelle

“Exciting” public-private infrastructure plan according to her. I can’t wait.

• Noelle

But wasn’t Porter sued for divorce so he did have due process?

• Curious

Being sued for divorce makes you guilty of assault? Are you really that dumb or can you lefties not help it?

• Depends how the verdict turned out. If abuse was an issue, he had his day in court. Or would you rather he be arrested and tossed in the clink?

• Curious

What verdict are you referring to?

• Granting the divorce.

• Curious

There is no verdict in a divorce case. And the onus in civil cases and criminal cases are quite different. Your allegation that he “had his day in court” is drivel.

• Go to law school.

• Curious

Got nothing, huh? Got it.

• I wrote laws dealing with abuse. You have only opinions. You are crapping on the board. Bye.

• Another Mike

Nowadays any married couple can split up without explaining why, just about anywhere. No need to have photos catching the husband or wife in flagrante.

• Noelle

The person who called in about that is smarter than me about this. I have some talents, but am not a lawyer.

• Curious

Odds are good that anyone who could dial a phone is smarter than you.

• Noelle

Not nice.

• e mckay

Noelle – Curious is not nice.

• BioMeister

Oh, great, here’s our least-favorite troll again. Please ignore him. He is here only to deflect and disrupt any intelligent discussion.

• BioMeister

Oh, great, here’s our least-favorite troll again. Please ignore him. He is here only to deflect and disrupt any intelligent discussion

• Another Mike

Divorce in DC, which is where I believe Porter was married to first wife Colbie Holderness, at least, is completely no-fault. She could have called the police at the time, or sued him civilly for damages, but the divorce process would not look at physical, mental, or emotional abuse.

• pm05

Well Kayleigh is certainly full of it and seems to be able to lie with the best of them.
    One more Trump liar.
    Why do you have these very obvious liars on?

• Maria

I would prefer that he push back on her lies.

• Noelle

So she is citing biblical precedent for men behaving badly?

• marte48

it’s so that the right wing can’t accuse NPR of being biased.

• Another Mike

Why not? I caught Adam Schiff telling a big fat lie last year.

• What a waste of an hour. If there was even a hint of sincerity rather than press briefing in this woman’s voice, perhaps she might be worth a listen. But no, there is none. She comes across as just another Trump automaton.

Her connection to populism — the will of the people — is a joke.

• Curious

So canning the guy is not enough? Trump has to totally trash him too?

Where was Krasny when Hillary was destroying the lives of her sexual predator husband’s victims?

When she was condoning sexual harassment by her campaign staff?

• Your defense of gross villainy is touching.

• Curious

I am not defending Hillary.

• marte48

wives never blame the women who are seducing their husbands.

• Curious

Seducing? Bill Clinton raped and abused women.

• marte48

I’d like to ask your guest whether Trump supporters still believe that President Obama was a Muslim?

• Curious

Do Obama supporters still believe that Bush was behind 9/11?

• Are you the official robo-Trump today?

• Curious

Are you the town idiot?

• Guess you’ve run out of platitudes. See ya.

• Darthmaul

Don’t be critical! This is a Trump supporter, so the bar has to be set low.

• BioMeister

Curious is a serial troll here. He is here only to deflect and disrupt any attempt at intelligent discussion..

• Tom Scott

My taxes being lower isn’t a win for me. Sure, my taxes will be lower but taxes don’t bother me. Why do people want stuff for free?

• marte48

and now they want the states to pay for infrastructure.

• Noelle

What about Mick Mullvaney running CFPB dropping the Experian data breach probe?

• Julia

What does Kayleigh think of Trumps support of men accused of sexual assault….Porter, Moore, Ailes, etc?

• pm05

sure sounds like she approves

• Curious

What does she think of Hillary destroying the lives of her sexual predator husband’s victims?

• marte48

HAHAHAHA!

• Curious

You think that’s funny? Sick.

• Tom Scott

Fight for “your values.” Lol, if Trump represents your values, you can have them.

• Maria

She is vile.

• marte48

Why doesn’t Donald Trump give Obama credit for repairing the economy after the Bush administration caused the collapse?

• Curious

Because Obama did not repair the economy. And Bush did not cause the collapse. It was Clinton.

• BioMeister

Curious is a serial troll here. He is here only to deflect and disrupt any attempt at intelligent discussion.

• Julia

He’s always on here, probably paid.

• Curious

No one would pay you, for sure.

• SA

Everyone here is not a paid troll like you.

• Robert Thomas

This psychopath just compared President Trump to King David, Moses and the Apostle Paul.

• Jon Latimer

lol I literally choked on my coffee hearing that. Unbelievable.

• William – SF

Why was Jesus left out?

• EIDALM

This woman comes from the dark ages of human history.

• Curious

Why do dems hate intelligent, successful women?

• BioMeister

Oh, great, here’s our least-favorite troll again. Please ignore him. He is here only to deflect and disrupt intelligent discussion.

• Yes, I fell for his nonsense this morning. Then I realized that he’s either a bot or a bottic human. Either way, a waste.

• BioMeister

Anything even vaguely political, and he appears here to try to deflect discussion into shouting matches. Tempting though it is to point out his obvious lies and stupidity, it just plays into his hands.

• Darthmaul

We don’t, we just don’t like political hacks that will do and say anything to explain away the dishonest and reprehensible behavior of the current president.

• BioMeister

Curious is trolling here, just trying to deflect and disrupt. It’s your choice, of course, but simply ignoring him is usually the best strategy. Nothing to be gained in responding to his “points” — it’s exactly what he wants.

• pm05

my gawd this women is even saying that Trump’s golfing is the best thing that ever happened to the country!
    What is this woman!!!!

• chriswinter

A Republican spokeswoman in the mold of Phyllis Schlafly, who defended Trump to her dying day.

• William – SF

Apology meter peaking!

• Jon Latimer

Ugh. This is just gross. Don’t think my stomach can handle this much BS this early on a Monday. Is Krasny going to call her out on any of these “alternative facts” she’s regurgitating?

• Noelle

Sometimes it’s good to hear the other side, so we can understand why so many people believe this.

• Do you now understand? I don’t, unless they share her nutty worldview.

• Noelle

Sort of, but when the majority of the country only gets right wing talk radio, Sinclair Broadcasting, Alex Jones etc this is how it happens.

• pm05

Okay okay okay – we know Kayleigh lies and lies A LOT!

• Tom Scott

Right on caller re: due process. Totally on point.

• Diana D.

I’m curious why you allowed Kayleigh McEnany to come on and lie over and over again about issues and details that have been thoroughly debunked.

• Curious

They had Dan Rather.

• marte48

Do your Christian supporters believe that Jesus Christ considered taking care of the poor “discretionary spending?”

• rtuko

Did McEnany seriously just compare Trump to King David?! Proof that Trumpers/evangelicals are utterly deluded and unable to think critically about even their own religion.

And as always, wish Mr. Krazny would quit softballing these interviews and push back on the more egregious claims.

• pm05

she sounds a bit nuts doesn’t she….

no.. I edit – the woman IS nuts

• No, just Trump Republicanish. Or maybe … yes.

• BioMeister

Trump is the greatest example ever of the hypocrisy of the so-called “Christian” Right. They are simply against women’s rights, immigrants, and brown & black people in general, and they don’t care how despicable their standard-bearer might be. Roy Moore another recent example, but you never have to look far with these deluded despicables.

• Curious

Just full of left wing memes, aren’t you?

• BioMeister

Ignored.

• You don’t know the meaning of the term “meme.” I wouldn’t go there if I was you.

• e mckay

BioMeister, you speak the truth. It is as simple as that.

• Mason Gibb

Lots of people on the Christian Right disagree with Trump on immigration. It is the moral opposition to abortion that forces them into the Republican camp. Dems have responded by running an increasing number of anti-choice candidates:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrats_for_Life_of_America

You know, nothing like the extremely progressive Democrat party to stand up to conservative values.

• BioMeister

Your pathetic, crazed, anti-NPR rants are well known. If the best you can muster is an attempt to deflect this conversation to your own bizarre hallucinations, you’re clearly off your game.

• marte48

Michael Krazny is obligated to be as impartial as possible, even playing the devil’s advocate. Republicans have threatened to shut down NPR for decades.

• Curious

“Republicans have threatened to shut down NPR for decades.” Absolutely false.

• BioMeister

Trolling. Ignored.

• e mckay

The declaration by Curious is absolutely false.

• Curious

Nope.

• BioMeister

In effect, they have done their best to do so. NPR’s Federal funding is now a tiny fraction of its total support, thanks entirely to Republican cuts over the years. Fortunately, listeners who support the truth, Foundations who do likewise, and Corporations who at least channel SOME of their philanthropy in that direction keep it going strong. And as is so often the case, Trump has been a great boon to NPR, since his execrable lying and propagandizing makes it all the more obvious why NPR is still relevant, and badly needed.

• Mason Gibb

NPR has shown it is all too willing to take corporate money, so perhaps federal funding should be cut as they’ve already betrayed their audience. How many spots by ANGA have been played over the last 5 years–yet in their stories promoting natural gas as a more environmentally-friendly alternative, or in their coverage of pipeline protests, they never acknowledge this funding. Basically all music reviewed by NPR comes from companies that sponsor NPR, but you never hear any disclosure of funding. NPR had a multimillion dollar development deal with Facebook that just ended. Over half the stories about Facebook and its news algorithm did not mention this deal.

Instead of NPR paying Car Talk about $11 million dollars over the last four years (Tappet Brothers Inc. on the tax returns), or paying the host of Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me $400k in FY2014…
          or the CEO $500k+/year, or the disgraced sexual predator and head editor of the newsroom Michael Oreskes ~250k/year, or Weekend Edition newsreader Scott Simon $400k+, Robert Siegel $400k+, Melissa Block $400k+, Inskeep and Siegel also at $400k+/year apiece. We are talking about PUBLIC radio. Should NPR really be spending this type of money? I don’t think any NPR donor wants several million spent on Car Talk reruns. If NPR has any problems with their budget, there is a LOT of fat that can be cut. How many will stop listening to ME/ATC/Weekend Edition if they bring in new talent at $120k/year. My guess: not a one.

• BioMeister

First of all, NPR would prefer NOT to take Corporate money, but since they won’t pander to the GOP, they have seen public funding cut year after year to the point where the HAD TO take Corporate money as the only resort to liquidation.

And people get paid what they are “worth” in this society. If you are the Right Winger you appear to be . . .don’t you think Goldman-Sachs could get talented people for a fraction of what they pay today? ExxonMobil? Apple? I’d like to see those salaries come down across all endeavors, public and private, but don’t blame the NPR guys for joining in the game, and at a significantly lower pay scale than their private-sector colleagues, despite what you think are too-high salaries.

In general, Executives pick Board Members and set their compensation, and Board Members select CEOs and set their compensation. Any surprise that Board Members get large salaries for doing virtually nothing, while CEOs and other Execs get paid a small fortune for doing work that others would gladly do, competently, for a fraction of that loot?

• Curious

False. Federal funding has never been reduced.

Many Republicans vowed to eliminate subsidies in 1995, but the effort fizzled. In 2005, Republicans controlling the House tried to cut subsidies for PBS, National Public Radio and hundreds of public radio and TV stations by $100 million, igniting an outcry from fans of “Sesame Street” and other defenders of public broadcasting. That bid failed, as did the most recent effort in 2011.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

• BioMeister

More trolling. Ignored as always.

• Curious

Trolls are so easy to be shown to be liars:

When GOP last held control, funding for public broadcasting remained steady

http://current.org/2016/11/when-the-gop-last-held-control-funding-for-public-broadcasting-remained-steady/

• BioMeister

Trolls are easy to ignore. Done!

• Mason Gibb

Really? you have proof they don’t want corporate money? Please explain the pages long list of corporate sponsors….

Instead of taking corporate money, what about paying ATC/ME/Weekend Edition/Wait Wait/Car Talk a fraction of what they are paying them? Do you think Car Talk reruns are worth in excess of 10 million dollars?

What sort of progressive are you to suggest that a dead guy and his unfunny brother are worth over ten million dollars to air reruns? Is that a PROGRESSIVE stance? Give me a break.

Corporations pay people a very large salary. I think it is ridiculous compared to what their entry-level employees get. But NPR is “public” radio and claims to be a non-profit. Yet a host of a 1-hour/week comedy program on PUBLIC radio gets in excess of $400k? And a bunch of newsreaders? You think that’s defensible? Please, let me know why PUBLIC radio should be paying out these salaries (I guess you want them to compete with Clear Channel?).

• BioMeister

This is complete nonsense. It’s is not remotely PUBLIC in the sense of government support, ca. 15%. By that standard, you could almost call Fox News “news.” If Fox would restrict its programming to the very small proportion that is actually balanced and factual, I’d send them a donation myself. But my purse is secure on that count, I am sure.

• Mason Gibb

Yes, it is not PUBLICLY funded, either by the government or by individual donors. Instead, it is funded by corporations. National “Public” Radio is a misnomer. 20% of revenue comes from corporations, and a good amount of the station carriage fees originate in corporate sponsorships with those member stations. Another good chunk of NPR and member station funding comes from explicitly partisan non-profits (which, lo and behold, also employ the talking heads they regularly feature)–from the Ploughshares Fund, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (exactly how many NPR stories have you heard that really investigate the ramifications of either of these?). Also the Ford Foundation, the Walton Family Foundation. Also “Credit Karma,” AT&T, and two different divisions of the FOX empire.

Think of how many station promos state “listener-supported.” They may as well state “corporate-sponsored,” considering the amount of funding.

• Mason Gibb

BioMeister defends taking money from ANGA and not following NPR’s own standards by disclosing this relationship. The sign of a true neo-liberal. You have a lot to be proud of.

• BioMeister

Oh, and BTW, congratulations! You have now qualified to join Curious in the waste-of-time-auto-ignore club, except to be sure to issue warnings whenever you pollute a discussion space in which I find myself. Ta ta!

• Mason Gibb

If you ignore/block me, I don’t see your posts….Good luck with that.
            If you want to ignore the truth about NPR paying Car Talk, its comedians, and its newsreaders millions of dollars, or if you want to ignore NPR’s ever-lengthening list of corporate donors, that is very easy to ignore. Just don’t bother reading their annual reports or their tax returns.
            -from a former donor to KXJZ

• BioMeister

I ignore the CONTENT of your posts, but I want to be able to see them, so I can warn others not to waste their time on your provocative nonsense.

• Curious

There have been no cuts. Get educated.

Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) gets nearly half a billion dollars a year of federal funds. Do you support Fox getting the same?

• Curious

Tiny fraction???

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) receives its funding through federal appropriations; overall, about 15% of public television and 10% of radio broadcasting funding comes from the federal appropriations that CPB distributes.

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RS22168.html

• Another Mike

NPR is funded through donations. What the federal government does is fund tiny rural stations across America. These tiny rural stations take some of the annual funding and buy programming with it, from npr among others.

• Another Mike

King David had the hots for this babe, but he knew he could never pry her away from her husband, so he made sure that during the next battle, the chick’s husband would be stationed where he would be sure to be killed. And then David could add this babe to his collection.

As far as we know, Trump never had a guy killed so he could have sex with his wife, so here Trump actually comes out ahead of David.

• marte48

The right wing has always hated NPR.

• Curious

Because they hate lies.

• BioMeister

Troll. Ignore.

• Vern

The left also has no use for the lies skewed by Npr.

• Susan Wilde

This woman Kayleigh sounds like a cult member who has swallowed the koolaid. Thank you for trying to fact check her. It upsets me that we have to hear such deluded speech again and again. Real Christians would never support such grotesque and inhumane behaviors and policies, so many lies.

• BioMeister

Professional liar “Kayleigh” dissembling about the “memos” is detestable. OF COURSE the Republicans wrote a short memo without confidential information. They intended to fraudulently imply that the FISA Warrant was obtained without sufficient grounds. When you INTENTIONALLY OMIT most of the justification on grounds of confidentiality, you can make it look like the justification was inadequate. Leaking the lies and suppressing the whole truth id “Dictator 101.” Trump 2018 = Hitler 1928.

• Tom Scott

This lady isn’t worth the time. She’s an outlier. Lier being key to her worldview.

• pm05

THANK GOD! She is gone….

• marte48

I was hoping she would have to deal with SF callers.

• Curious

Hillary is gone?

• Julia

CNN dumped her a long time ago, I guess KQED is trying to appear bipartisan but really? She is a Trump cult follower and that’s about it.

• pastramiboy

well she is spokesperson for the RNC.

• Jon Latimer

Claiming that “fact checkers” are biased because they more frequently fault republicans vs democrats… That is probably the dumbest rationalization I think I’ve ever heard. She is completely turning logic on it’s head.

• Julia

As all Trumpers do…

• Carole

Yelling ‘fake news’ and calling truths ‘so-called’ when the story doesn’t go their way is, unfortunately, hitting home with the folks who are glued to Fox news.

• Darthmaul

No collusion? Witch hunt? How many of Trumps associates are under indictment or have pleaded guilty to crimes? Four and counting.
    Kayleigh spent almost all of her time explaining to us dumb people why we shouldn’t “believe our lying eyes” about the mess that is the Trump administration. Other facts, such as Trumps pathological lying were Trumpsplained as fact checkers that were part of the dishonest media. Trump playing 3x as much golf? Oh, he was really working. These were “working” golf outings.

• chriswinter

Another thing she expects (or hopes) we’ll forget is that at one point Trump promised he would be too busy to play golf.

• Curious

Nothing to do with collsion, which is not a crime in any event. Obama illegally spied on Trump. Clinton worked with the Russians to discredit hi.

• BioMeister

Ignore. Curious – Troll

• marte48

The Russians hated the Clintons for decades.

• Curious

That’s why they were paying them tens of millions of dollars.

• BioMeister

Ignore this troll.

• Julia

He is a troll, always on here with unoriginal ideas.

• Curious

As opposed to your ignorant ones.

• chriswinter

Kayleigh McEnany claimed Trump does not want to stop the Mueller investigation. She expects us not to remember that he boasted to Russians that firing Comey has solved his Russian problem. She expects us to forget how many times Trump called it a witch hunt — even though she herself admitted on air he had said that. If he thinks it’s a witch hunt, he wants it stopped.

• nutrod42

I’m not sure there’s a point to having someone like Kayleigh McEnany on the show, except possibly to give us a window into the idiocy and hypocrisy of these people (which we probably get enough of in other ways). I’m a liberal progressive, but this is not a liberal vs. conservative thing – it’s truth vs. lies.

• Noelle

Yes, we need to hear this. Read David Cay Johnston’s work, he really calls them out.

• marte48

He will be on next.

• Noelle

I hope so, but they have not said in this hour that he will be on.

• nutrod42

OK, but in that case, call her on her BS. I guess Michael did a little bit, but he could have challenged her a lot more.

• chriswinter

I’ve got it on order. I’m working on Allan Lichtman’s The Case for Impeachment right now — also a good read.

• Noelle

I wish Clinton resigned, maybe Al Gore could have won in 2000.

• Vern

Al Gore lost because Jeb Bush illegally removed 50000 Democrat voters from the voting rolls. And the mainstream media deliberately buried this fact but the bbc did not.

• BioMeister

Conspiracy theory B.S. Florida was carefully examined, for all practical statistical purposes a tie.

It was awarded to Bush by the Supreme Court. Were the five votes for Bush “political?” Of course. But the four votes in opposition were JUST as political. The Supreme Court is the MOST politicized branch of the Federal Government, and only by winning in the other branches can we shift the balance there.

• BioMeister

Clinton was in many ways a detestable human being. Not so bad as Trump, but that’s a bar set VERY high. But whatever Bill Clinton was, he is no longer in public office. Trump is. The Trump Trolls constant reference to 20-year-old Clinton misdeeds is just the “Squirrel!” strategy in what passes for political debate with these morons.

• Vern

Ask anyone in Haiti whether the Clintons helped them. So much money disappeared into crooked Hillary’s and Bill’s pocket.

• BioMeister

OK, so Vern is the conspiracy-theory troll. Tighten up your tinfoil hat, dude, and wait for the Black Helicopters to arrive, OK?

• Curious

Nearly five years after a 7.0 magnitude quake killed hundreds of thousands of its citizens, Haiti’s recovery efforts remain muddled and confused, with the whereabouts of the billions of dollars pledged by the international community an apparent mystery to the country’s leaders.
            “We don’t know where the money has gone,” Raymond Joseph, former ambassador of Haiti to the U.S., said Friday in an interview on Bloomberg’s “Market Makers.” …
            Joseph then recalled an event in 2012 when former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton, the U.S. envoy to Haiti, personally attended the launch of an industrial park that promised to create hundreds of thousands of jobs for Haitians desperate for work. That industrial park today has created only a fraction of the jobs promised.
            “For example: The former Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton, went down to Haiti in October 2012. Her husband was there and he was the U.S. Envoy to Haiti. The president of Haiti was there, all of the dignitaries were there, and they inaugurated the Caracol industrial park,” Joseph said.
            “That Caracol industrial park was supposed to bring in 20,000 jobs in five years and 65,000 eventually. Well, Caracol only has one big company there. It’s a Korean textile manufacturer and only 4,000 jobs. So, you know, I take Caracol as the real example of how bad things are,” he added.

• BioMeister

More lies and trolling. Ignored.

• Noelle

I agree about this. But they aren’t the only bad actors here, it’s a systemic problem that has been happening for years. This is what happens when there is extreme inequality, when the elite try to get away with looting their own country, and then they use international donors to help them.

• Curious

Bill and Hillary Clinton have hailed the factory churning out Old Navy sweatshirts in an industrial park here as a shining achievement in their efforts to rebuild this island nation after a destructive earthquake in 2010.
            But the garment factory has underdelivered on projected jobs. Haitian workers have accused managers of bullying and sexual harassment. And an ABC News investigation has found that after opening its factory in the Haitian industrial park — built with $400 million of global aid — the Korean firm became a Clinton Foundation donor and its owner invested in a startup company owned by Hillary Clinton’s former chief of staff. …
            The post-quake projects nurtured along with $10 billion in international relief and hefty support from the U.S. government and the Clinton Foundation have, at best, had mixed results, experts told ABC News. Several of those initiatives have benefited Clinton friends and foundation donors as much as Haitians, Johnston said.

• BioMeister

More lies and trolling. Ignored!

• Noelle

I totally agree with you on that!

• Another Mike

Clinton was not too far away from a President Harvey Weinstein. Hillary should have disavowed/divorced Bill once Chelsea turned 18.

• BioMeister

I agree also. Just as the so-called Christians hold their noses and accept Trump in return for anti-abortion judges and rhetoric, Hillary held hers and showed that political ambition overcomes feminism every time. Bill was a lifelong lech, and sticking with him beyond his political career and Chelsea’s childhood was just one more example of Hillary’s willingness to do literally anything to become President.

• marte48

Bill Clinton’s behavior was not condoned – it was just not considered an impeachable offense.

• pm05

He WAS impeached.

• Vern

The democrats made a deal with the immigrant devils on behalf of the rich devils.
    The republicans made a deal with the corporate devils on behalf of rich devils too.
    As a result, workers and environment suffer.
    Both parties are corrupt.

• marte48

It’s never helpful to refer to people as “devils.”

• Vern

Self dealing unethical power seekers, then.

• Only, real. They (the rich) refer to the rest of us as undeserving and unappreciative of their largesse. (I think Vern mean “immigration” devils, not the “immigrant” devils. Immigrants these days are victims of the immigration hawks, their sworn enemies (who consider the immigrants “devils”).

• Senator Boxer was always a welcome firebrand. But making excuses for the corporatist Democrats dims her appeal.

…And, Barbara: a call for impeachment — when one finally comes — will be the surest reason I vote Democrat in the fall. Not a clever ad.

• BioMeister

As despicable and ridiculous a liar as Kayleigh McEnany was, must we represent the contrary view with BARBARA BOXER? She was so out-of-touch extreme on the liberal side that she was ultimately completely irrelevant to the political process, and nothing more than a convenient whipping boy for the Republican Right Wing-Dings.

• chriswinter

Kayleigh McEnany compared Trump to the flawed people in the Bible whom God chose to advance his agenda. For Christians, that should amount to furthering the teachings of Christ. I notice that the flawed people in the Bible changed and began to “walk the talk.” We’re still waiting for Trump to get there. However, today’s evangelicals have convinced themselves he’s already there. Sad!

• Noelle

Fair point. I think it explains a lot. Plus they voted because of

Supreme Court appointments, which sounds like the #1 reason for them to hold their noses & vote, if they were less forgiving of DJT’s behaviors.

• Noelle

DJT learned a lot about how to defend himself from Roy Cohn: attack, attack,smear opponents relentlessly.

• Jon Latimer

Amazing. Boxer just brilliantly exposed the problem in the Democratic party: they think 40 year olds are “young people” (LOL). They are way behind on the issues, they are still governing like it’s the 90s. It’s long time all these corporate-funded, neo-libs get out of the way, and let the progressives lead.

• BioMeister

Agreed. I despair when I see Joe Biden and John Kerry weighing bids in 2020. And both Bernie and Hillary, despite the former’s surprising appeal to young voters, are septuagenarians as well. Part of Obama’s appeal was youth and vitality, as well as significantly more personal connection with the lives of people under 60. The Dems need a young(er), charismatic candidate who can appeal to moderates and secure solid, vocal endorsement from Sanders and Obama.

• Problem is, the Democratic Party doesn’t vet younger potential candidates and preen them on the way up. It’s a scattershot organization, so no one knows her or his future prospects, and thus no one will help someone lower on the ladder to climb higher, lest the helper become redundant. It’s become a party of self-congratulatory sinecures who — and this I can’t figure! — don’t mind losing every majority across the nation and thereby becoming impotent, so long as its electeds can retain the trappings of power (and salaries and post-career lobbying and academic jobs: new sinecures).

• BioMeister

I agree. Considering the stakes, it’s a little tough to comprehend how BAD they have been in so many cases. But Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were not unbeatably popular, yet the GOP failed 4 times out of 4 to do it. Carter, Clinton, Obama, and Trump all came out of nowhere, really. And quite a few of the Presidential election losers were certainly not the ones the guys in the smoke-filled back rooms would have picked, either. The Primary process, along with its inevitable need to pander to the extreme wing of one’s Party, plus the corrosive influence of money (especially since “Citizens United”) seems to favor charismatic outsiders and political hacks who are bought and paid for.

Say what you want about Trump, but a dozen GOP rivals failed spectacularly against his childish-bully tactics, and the Dems put an EXTREMELY flawed candidate up against him. And now we all pay the price 🙁

• Another Mike

Don’t forget that Perot really split the Republicans and Independents the first time Clinton was elected. And then Clinton buddied up with Speaker Gingrich from 1995 on.

Given LBJ, Carter, and Clinton, for a while it looked like a Democrat would have to come from the South to be electable.

• BioMeister

Yes, and whatever tiny vestige of respect I might have had for the Christian Right disappeared when they abandoned their principles to support Trump rather than standing behind them by backing a truly Christian 3rd candidate. Better an anti-abortion Satan than a pro-choice Saint, I guess.

• Another Mike

If you want the Progressives to lead, time for California secession.

One of the main reasons Obama won, besides his charisma, is that he was center-right.

• De Blo

Bigotry on the basis of age is in no way less destructive than racism or sexism.

• Tristan

Kayleigh McEnany is one of the dumbest person I’ve ever heard on this amazing show. It was Jaw-dropping. But it’s good to give a voice to everybody over the air… So we know…

• If NPR, currently dependent on the CPB and supporters, is to survive the right-wing assault on its legitimacy.

• diamond

OK, but in that case, call her on her BS. I guess Michael did a little bit, but he could have challenged her a lot more.

• Carole

She hasn’t done her homework obviously. The people she mentioned were redeemed and spent the rest of their days doing gods work; Saul, St Paul, etc..they lead a holy life. The charlatan Trump is using the Christian Right to his advantage and the fake-Christians such as Ms. MacEnany, Breitbart, Pence and the whole lot of the GOP are using trump to get their agenda rammed through.

• Another Mike

They did God’s work but they were not redeemed. At no point do they ask God’s forgiveness. And God punishes them all the same. The consequence to David, who had Uriah killed so he could marry the widow, with whom he had committed adultery, was the killing of the fruit of this liaison, Absalom, once he grew to manhood.

After 40 years wandering in the desert, Moses disobeyed Our Lord, and struck a rock with his staff to make water come out, instead of merely telling the rock to produce water. In consequence God did not allow Moses to enter the promised land.

And Paul — a Pharisee’s Pharisee — had been persecuting Christians before God selected him to keep things going.

• De Blo

Trump is unquestionably one of the most dishonest, incompetent, corrupt, wimpiest, and stupidest people in this nation.

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor