ichelle Mead, Warning Coordination Meteorologist National Weather Service and Courtney Obergfell, General Forecaster National Weather Service assist Frank Gehrke Chief of the California Cooperative Snow Surveys Program with the second snow survey of the 2018 snow season at Phillips Station in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

More than two months into what’s supposed to be California’s wettest season, the state’s snowpack stands at 27 percent of its historical average, according to the Department of Water Resources. We’ll explore whether the dry conditions may portend another drought. We’ll also discuss the state’s decision to scale back Waterfix, the controversial, multibillion dollar water distribution project in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

California’s Snowpack Well Below Average, State Scales Back Delta Tunnels Project 9 February,2018Mina Kim

Guests:
Dan Brekke, editor and reporter, KQED News
Jeff Mount, senior fellow, Public Policy Institute of California; emeritus professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences, UC Davis

• rhuberry

Let’s just keep adding jobs and building housing and welcoming the swarms of illegal immigrants and ignore water issues. We had one wet year in the last several and water shortage seems to have disappeared as a concern. We don’t seem to learn. Politicians like growth, no matter what. Maybe we’re past our carrying capacity.

• Vern

I wonder if Dems will ever admit that all the obese illegal immigrants driving around in huge old SUVs are a part of the human caused global warming.

• At end of show, someone ask why we can ship oil long distances, but not water. Time ran out before an answer, but my guess is that the volume of water needed is far greater than the volume of oil. It’s much more costly to send huge volumes of any fluid down pipelines. On another show, about water, I heard that it takes 13 gallons of water to produce one gallon of oil. Water used in the refining process, drilling and so forth. Even greater volumes of water needed in agriculture.

It would just be too costly to send the amount of water needed from, for instance, Texas to California.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, there was some talk of piping Columbia River water to California, but I have childhood memories, from the 1960s, of people saying “as long as Senator Jackson remains in office, he will sit on that water.”

I enjoy KQED’s educational podcasts. Thanks for Forum.

• De Blo

When will it rain?

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor