machinery in place to clear debris after mudlsides in a residential area

At least 17 people have died and 43 remain missing after heavy rain caused massive mudslides in Santa Barbara County on Tuesday. The slides also destroyed at least 50 homes and damaged 450 more in Santa Barbara County. We’ll get the latest on the disaster and find out how burned out areas of the North Bay can avoid a similar catastrophe.

Mudslide Kills 17 in Santa Barbara County as Search for Survivors Continues 12 January,2018Mina Kim

Guests:
Kathryn Barnes, producer, Santa Barbara
Laura Sullivan-Green, assistant professor, civil and environmental engineering, San Jose State University

• EIDALM

I do hope to God that the miser( Roland Reagan clone) Jerry Brown start immediately to use what he called rainy days 30 billion dollars money that belong to people of California to help all of the victims to rebuild their homes and the state infrastructures as well as spend more money in implementing preventive measures against all potential disasters facing all people of the state of California before they happen as it was in this very sad case with the loss of so many precious lives and extreme wide spread property damage.

• Kamila Kownacka

Thats really sad 🙁

• Noelle

the Santa Barbara TV station KEYT has good coverage on their website, I was looking at their live feed.

• Noelle

They always warn about landslides after fire, but this shows how bad it can get, with so many homes in the flood’s/mudslide’s wake.

• Kurt thialfad

It should be noted that home insurance policies do not cover ‘movement of earth’. If mud enters your home, you are SOL.

• Skip Conrad

How much of California is stable enough to support permanent human habitation?

• Bob Henderson

My friend and client in Montecito shared that the real estate agent referred to by the SB radio lady, was a former ballerina with ABT in NYC. and that she was enormously successful and wonderful as a person

• Sar Wash

My prayers go out to all of the homeowners of Santa Barbara.

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor