A hand filled with green marijuana.

Starting Jan. 1, the commercial sale of recreational marijuana will be legal in California. But what will that actually look like? Marijuana businesses will be required to get a local and state permit. Are local jurisdictions ready for the change? And will there be pot DUIs? We open the phones to answer all your cannabis questions, as the date for commercial sales approaches.

Guests:

Steve DeAngelo, founder and executive director, Harborside

Beau Kilmer, co-director, RAND Drug Policy Research Center, co-author, “Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know”

Brad Branan, California weed reporter, The Sacramento Bee

Related: 

NPR: California Prepares For Recreational Marijuana Sales On Jan. 1.

Commercial Pot Sales Become Legal in California Next Week 28 December,2017Rachael Myrow

• EIDALM

Big mistake, now not only have to worry about all of the drunk drivers we share on the road with so many accidents including numerous fatalities as it was the case few days where a drunk driver rear ended a high way car killing 32 young highway patrolman and seriously injuring another patrolman, now we also have to worry in sharing the roads with the untold thousands of stoned head drivers, that is very serious issue as this adds real more concern about us and our family of added accidents with stone head drivers.

• EIDALM

While the effect of consuming alcohol can last few to several hours, smoking weeds can last of days or even weeks. it is also accumulative, so we are going to face a much greater danger sharing the roads with marijuana smokers whose driving abilities are impaired at different levels which can be real serious to each and all of us and our families, by.

• EIDALM

Long term use of marijuana is far more damaging to the human body than cigarettes, specially the lungs and heart, as beside all of the toxic gases inhaled by smoking cigarettes, far more toxic gases are inhaled by smoking marijuana, and what is even much worse is that the long term of using marijuana will always lead to permanent brain damage, physical disabilities including droopy dark hazy eyes. and speech slur………You can observe that easily if you travel to old countries where the drug was available for centuries, where you can observe a subclass of the society who are permanent marijuana users, who shows all of the physicals permanent ills of their addictions, and most end up poor, sick. and homeless.

• EIDALM

By the way some years ago I was rear ended on highway 880 by a drunk driver, who was traveling at very high speed which near caused my BMW out of control, but manage to stop, he was arrested on the spot by the California High Way Patrol,……This incident happened near the same spot where this beautiful young Highway patrolman was killed by speeding drunk driver two days ago…….Sad

• Mohammed

Big mistake, now not only have to worry about all of the drunk drivers we share on the road with so many accidents including numerous fatalities as it was the case few days where a drunk driver rear ended a highway car killing 32 young highway patrolman Andrew Camilleri Sr and seriously injuring another patrolman, now we also have to worry in sharing the roads with the untold thousands of stoned head drivers, that is very serious issue as this adds real more concern about us and our family of added accidents with stone head drivers

• GN

Didn’t you think to at least wait until a few other people had posted before posting this again? Your other profile posted this just four hours ago and three comments down.

• Curious

He is deranged.

• EIDALM

Who is Mohammed, this is a fraudulent unauthorized copy of my post……….

• CAPTAIN

Didn’t you think to at least wait until a few other people had posted before posting this again? Your other profile posted this just four hours ago and three comments down.

• GN

look, my own douche bag bot.

• geraldfnord

Neither the Weedpocalypse nor Doparadise. Cannabis is a real plant containing real drugs that have real effects on real bodies and minds, but overlaying all that is decades of propaganda, first all negative then with a predictable overlay of overly positive such, e.g. one person enjoying or getting health benefits from marijuana aggressively believing that everyone should smoke it all the time.

(Just because the government tells you that something were entirely evil, that doesn’t mean it’s entirely good.)

As I boringly repeat: in an amoral universe that cares nowt for us, technologies are good and ill and neutral, and the balance is determined by how we use them. Plants that we have co-evolved to be more beneficial can go off-beam when they’re bred to maximise drug content….

Maybe, just maybe, now we will be able to see cannabis a little bit more for what is really is, and for what it can do for and to us.

• Noelle

Is this strictly cash-only? Since it’s not legal federally, the dispensaries can’t have bank accounts, and therefore, no credit card transactions?

• Anthony

Seems like they could sell you a token with your credit card; then you could redeem your token for your ‘tokin’

• Noelle

ha!

• geraldfnord

I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve spent enough time listening to them and to the news to be concerned that that plan—though an admirably stupid play on words, truly a weed-head ‘Dad joke’—might fail under the legal principle of ‘Non quis inludens’ .

• C tucker

What is known about the long term effect of weed on the personality? I have witnessed a friend change from an ebullient extrovert, to a withdrawn, passive person.

• Noelle

I’ve recently heard that it can help you sleep, however, it disrupts REM sleep so it’s not totally benign.

• geraldfnord

See my earlier comment: nothing is completely benign for everyone.

Legality at least may mean that more people will be honest with doctors and friends and the more reasonable run of authority figure, any of whom at some point say, ‘Hey, maybe you ought to consider cutting-back some.’.

As for your friend, best of luck to them: tell them, if you will, that a sympathetic fellow-user suggests paying close attention to what it’s actually doing for and to them, as this is real life.

• Robert Thomas

Prohibitory federal scheduling that forces this commerce exclusively into cash accounting cannot help but invite the strangling tentacles of debauched Eastern seaboard-style organized crime – tax evasion, extortion and by definition, money laundering – to infect the body politic and private commerce up and down the state to a degree never seen during the days of the piddling California Cheese Co. mob.

• geraldfnord

Hey, show some local pride: West Coast organised crime, Mexican-American, Vietnamese-American, motorsickle, cracker,…—they’re no slouches either.

• Robert Thomas

I count the traditional sort from the time when they buy their first Cadillac dealership.

• Robert Thomas

Has someone thought to send Attorney General Sessions a letter asking him to please remove cannabis from schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act? What’s up there?

• Noelle

He’s been pretty quiet lately…he is on the record as a strident anti-MJ voice. I would not count on this administration to remove it from schedule 1.

• Robert Thomas

That’s not my expectation either but maybe if California sent along a nice fruit bouquet or a particularly savory Hickory Farms gift basket? Maybe that would help.

• Robert Thomas

“… [I]t would be hard for [the feds] to shut it down but they could wreak havoc …”

What an imbecile.

How many life sentence convictions would federal prosecutors have to win in order to induce 95% of retailers to run away like little children? Two? Three? One?

• Mason Gibb

They can go after landlords as well. No one’s going to rent retail space if the federal government seizes the assets of a few landlords.

• oscar

I’ve recently heard that it can help you sleep, however, it disrupts REM sleep so it’s not totally benign.

• Sherif

Who is Mohammed, this is a fraudulent unauthorized copy of my post……….

Host

Rachael Myrow

Rachael Myrow is KQED’s Silicon Valley Arts Reporter, covering arts, culture and technology in San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties. She regularly files stories for NPR and the KQED podcast Bay Curious, and guest hosts KQED’s Forum.

Her passion for public radio was born as an undergrad at the University of California at Berkeley, writing movie reviews for KALX-FM. After finishing one degree in English, she got another in journalism, landed a job at Marketplace in Los Angeles, and another at KPCC, before returning to the Bay Area to work at KQED.

She spent more than seven years hosting The California Report, and over the years has won a Peabody and three Edward R. Murrow Awards (one for covering the MTA Strike, her first assignment as a full-time reporter in 2000 as well as numerous other honors including from the Society of Professional Journalists, the Radio Television News Directors Association and the LA Press Club.
Follow @rachaelmyrow

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor