Nestled in San Francisco’s Mission District is Dandelion Chocolate, a small batch chocolate factory started by a couple of friends with a passion for the craft. Now, they’re bringing their bean-to-bar ethos to the home cook. Their new cookbook describes the process of sourcing, roasting, and grinding your own beans and features a few recipes for what to do with the chocolate once you’re done.  We’ll dive into the world of home chocolate making and taste the fruits of Dandelion’s labor.

Guests:
Todd Masonis, co-founder and CEO, Dandelion Chocolate
Greg D’Alesandre, co-owner, vice-president of research and development, Dandelion Chocolate

From Bean to Bar: Making Chocolate at Home 15 December,2017Mina Kim

• Rafał Dymarek

That home chocolate is amazing. It really tastes good.

• Noelle

this looks very labor-intensive. Plus you have to get the specialized mixer.

• Noelle

ah this guy sold his high tech company, had a lot of extra time and money. so this book is for people like that.

• Noelle

I do like making my own kimchi and, most recently, sauerkraut with caraway seeds.

• VALERIE M PIERCE

Hi, These guys remind me of the founders of Scharffen Berger Chocolate factory who made their money during the dot.com era, They researched old world chocolate making processes, went to Europe and bought the finest German machinery and started their factory. My friends and I took a tour in Berkeley, and it was fascinating. Scharffen Berger was acquired by Hershey a few years ago.

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor