Yalom Irvin

Stanford psychotherapist Irvin Yalom has built a career trying to understand the minds of other people. But in his new memoir, he turns the lens on himself. Yalom joins us to talk about his new book “Becoming Myself: A Psychiatrist’s Memoir” and about his groundbreaking work in group psychotherapy.

Guests:
Irvin Yalom,
professor emeritus of psychiatry, Stanford University; author most recently of “Becoming Myself”

Irvin Yalom Shares ‘A Psychiatrist’s Memoir’ 20 November,2017Michael Krasny

• geraldfnord

I enjoyed Dr Yalom’s When Nietzsche Wept. I was wondering what might, in the course of his research, had struck Dr Yalom most about standard 1880s medical and psychological theory and practice—and what he might think would most strike Dr Breuer about our day’s?

• Another Mike

In Chicago, the numbers racket was run by African-Americans — the whites in organized crime thought the sums involved were insignificant. I wonder who ran it in DC.

• Ben Rawner

What does your guest think about the advancement of MRI and brain scanning technology? Does he think they worth the hype in regards to psychotherapy.

• Another Mike

I’m looking at the 1940 Census. Dr. Yalom’s family lived in an attractive two-flat off Rhode Island Ave, NW, the same place they lived in in 1935. His father was the proprietor of a liquor and grocery store while his mother was assistant manager of a grocery store. (The same?)

Their neighbors were mostly Italian. His sister reports that her mother tongue was “Jewish.”

• William – SF

Re: Mr. Krasny’s quote …the drain gets closer?

• Robert Thomas

Recently, my excellent podiatric surgeon has repaired a problem in my right foot and with careful attention and follow-up examination and therapy, he’s returned my foot to good operating order.

He did this without expressing concerns about his relationships with his family members and without extemporizing on his opinions about Being and Nothingness; without declaiming on Heideggerian hermeneutics; while spending none of my valuable time – neither while billing me for time spent – expatiating on the umwelt of von Uexküll and Sebeok. All went well and I’m very satisfied.

How well insured or alternately, how financially secure have Dr Yalom’s patients been, typically?

• BDN

Reminds me of the two psychiatrists who passed each in the hall and said “hello”, and both thought to themselves walking away “wonder what he meant by that”.

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor