Chris Matthews

Chris Matthews, the longtime host of MSNBC’s “Hardball” is known
for his political analysis and combative style. He joins us in the
studio to talk about the Republican tax bill, the latest developments
in the Russia investigation and his new book on Bobby Kennedy.
We’ll also explore how politics and the media have changed since
the Kennedy era.

MSNBC Host Chris Matthews on Robert Kennedy’s ‘Raging Spirit’ 15 November,2017Michael Krasny

• brian199511

Is Bobby’s speech the night Martin Luther King Jr was killed quite possibly the greatest speech in history? Cleveland I believe and it was the only major city not torn by riots that evening. PS: You should come to PDX for book signing.

• ldemelis

Was that the speech where he quoted from the ancient Greeks? Today that would be considered elitist and condescending. But it came across as the thoughts of a man struggling to understand the inexplicable.

• William – SF

And now the inexplicable is considered the acceptable.

• brian199511

Perhaps you should see the film or listen to the tape of the speech and you might understand how inaccurate your comment really is. The city in which he gave his speech was the only major US city not rocked by racial riots that night. Elitist? Condescending? It was precisely the opposite and still resonates today.

• Pontifikate

Idealess said “today” it would be considered elitist and condescending. God forbid anyone quote Aeschylus today when we elected a populist president who can barely speak and make any sense. “It came across as the thoughts of a man struggling to understand the inexplicable” is exactly right. I’ve played that speech every term for my young students and every time I hear it, I’m stirred by its authenticity and a cry out for understanding.

• jakeleone

It seems odd to me that the CIA could have so much intel on Oswald, even knowing that Oswald had discussed killing President Kennedy with the Russians, and not be able to keep the President safe in Dallas. Is this a case of willful omission on the part of the CIA, still reeling after the Bay of Pigs?

And when will we start supporting religious plurality in the Middle East? Why do we support a country where kids grow believing that harsh punishment for practicing the wrong religion is the normal and correct way? When are we going to realize that certain countries, that we support, are the source of 90% of the world’s terrorism? You said this after 911 Chris, “Creeps”. Those creeps grew up in a society where people are commonly executed for religious infractions, should we have expected a different behavior?

• Noelle

I was born in the mid 1960s so I have never experienced having a great president in office. But I still wonder if JFK was that great, that due to his assassination he has a halo of goodness around him. And would RFK have been a good president?

• Pontifikate

I was a teen when JFK was president, but by the time Bobby was running, I was 20 and if ever I felt that this was the “real deal” it was seeing Bobby run and how he was changed by his run. I truly felt he would have made a great president and I’m not for family dynasties. One of the saddest days of my life was when he was killed.

• Ben Rawner

Does your guest think that these politically dynastic families are a good or bad thing for the American democracy? It seems it concentrates power into the hands of a few and their cronies, but at the same time this power can be used for good.

• Noelle

I like your question!

• Robert Thomas

I honestly don’t understand the vogue for the flippant invocation of “elites” that Mr Matthews and other poondits echo. What are reasonably well educated, liberal-minded communitarians supposed to do? Get lobotomies?

• William – SF

For years I watched television political pundits and shows about politics. 10+ years ago I killed my TV. I’ve never owned a flat panel TV; never will. The pattern of political discourse is predicable and repetitive. What I’m interested in is actual policy and their affects on society. For all the political thought out there, this country has been decimating the middle class for decades and even quicker now, and has long ago given up on addressing poverty, and conveniently turns it back on the working poor. But who cares, as conservatives point out they all likely have flat panel TVs.

Mr Matthews, can you enumerate the ways your show has benefited society?

• reich.jonathan

I’m afraid any respect I might have had for Chris Matthews went away first in his memorable encounter with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show and second, today when I heard him repeat the B.S. about Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation and “Uranium 1.” Could it be possible that FAUX news’ maverick, Shep Smith, actually has a more accurate take on the “Uranium 1” B.S.? Check out the very surprising and unusual Shep Smith report that lays out the case about why there is nothing to the “Uranium 1” so-called scandal:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnsAZzsdI1U Seriously, I did not see that coming.

• MarinaKina

Hey, Chris Matthews, who took that photo that you referred to of RFK’s funeral train? The one that made Stephen Colbert choke up? My dad. Paul Fusco, that’s who. And BTW he is alive, lives in Marin, and has a show opening in March at the SFMoMa of the RFK story. He would love to hear his name associated with his important work 😉

• Vladimir G. Ivanovic

Chris and Michael, and in fact, everyone else as well: Please stop identifying somebody as “liberal” or “consevative” or whatever. What counts are their ideas, their policy proposals, their voting record, their speeches, their press conferences, not if whether they are black or white or a Western Republican or a progressive or a white supremacist. Those are just labels like fat or gay or evangelical or ugly. Not doing so just perpetuates the identify politics, the us-vs-them false choice that got Donald Trump elected. What matters are their ideas, not the label they’ve been assigned.

• Curious

Poor old soak.

• Curious

I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.

• jakeleone

I found Chris Matthews to be intellectually bankrupt. Can we please have someone come on who can really change our horrid pattern of foreign policy motivated by hysteria, dollars, and political expediency? Can you please have some one who actually is willing to chance at what the pattern is with our foreign policy. You had a professor on, former navy seal, who stated we are having problems in the middle east because we have treated it like a gas can.

And while that is true, it doesn’t give us anything that we can engineer a solution on.

The Neocons are going to bleed the country dry, in war after war. Have they not already done this? 20 trillion in debt. The U.S. State Department offers us nothing, they are a bunch of cowboy peeling out on innocent people while they spin donuts in the parking lot at taxpayer expense.

I am sorry, you cannot be silent in the face of such idiocy. John McCain made serious mistake in Syria, and it cost hundreds of thousands of lives, billions in expense to stop an ISIS regime that was initially financed by us or our so-called allies. Come on people, the villainy isn’t the “Evil” it’s the utter stupidity by which we attempt a completely misguided foreign policy.

We Americans are not learning from history, we are senile, and that senility must be called out, completely, at every opportunity.

We cannot laugh and say hah, look how we took care of ISIS. When in fact our own policies are enabling such regimes to occur over and over again. That stupity, is our villainy. We are the villains if we do not call it out.

• jakeleone

Serving without thinking is the perfect resume for a an Auschwitz guard.

Making the same mistakes, over and over, is the definition of insanity.

Tell me, in what way is thinking that war, even a war for Democracy (before the war for religious plurality), not an entirely evil undertaking?

I have reached the inescapable conclusion that war first mentality, such as that of John McCain, is the inherent evil in our country.

We are stuck in a horrible pattern of aiding anyone who will say they are our friend in the Middle East, but never change their pattern of genocide against people of other religious faiths or intellectual view points. The very people, that will, if handed a Democracy at U.S. taxpayer expense, as their first democratic act, outlaw all other religious groups.

We should be rating these countries on how well their encourage religious and ethnic plurality.

We cannot rate them on how much they want Democracy, Democracy in the hands of the genocidal, will result in genocide. Did we not learn this from WWII?

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor