The U.S. Capitol building.

President Trump talks trade in China; possible action on the Senate and House tax bills; and the scandal surrounding Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore. Forum discusses the latest political news with a panel of experts.

Guests:

Michael Warren, senior writer, Weekly Standard

Clara Jeffery, editor-in-chief, Mother Jones

Political News Roundup: Trump on Russia, GOP Tax Plan and Roy Moore 13 November,2017Michael Krasny

• EIDALM

The most serious and dangerous issue facing the U S today is the great unbalanced trade deficit with China, in the year 2016 China sold the U S 478.9 billion dollars, while only importing only 169.3 billion dollars, mostly agriculture products, with a total imbalance deficit of 309.6 billion dollars, and that deficit getting greater each years, this amounts in economical terms of the loss of tens of millions of American jobs, as well as adding hundreds billions of dollars to the U S national debt to China which according to some is in excess of 22 trillions dollars, which at some point in the future may end in breaking point and may lead to war……Very dangerous indeed.

• jakeleone

Yes it is uncanny how much the people of China value the the U.S. dollar. I can understand the initial high value of the dollar in China, when they were coming out of total-communism. But I can’t understand the current high value. Part of this is the huge oversupply of labor in China, part is the desire for the Chinese government to keep people occupied (eh I mean employed), and another big part is the desire for wealthy Chinese to park their wealth offshore.

It really is odd but wealthy citizens (partly due to the fact that they have no place to flee to when in tax-trouble), often prefer to park their money away from the control of their own government.

China has done a great job we just need to realize that we can’t even break even in a trading competition, because their are too many reasons why the Chinese currency will underperform the dollar.

• jakeleone

The trade deficit probably won’t lead to war, it might actually decrease it. Think about it, with many Chinese business people, even the Chinese government holding bonds and U.S. assets, they wouldn’t want to see those assets degraded. But also, the U.S. government is dependent on trade, in that it moves dollars, every time a dollar moves within the United States, it gets taxed.

I could see a trade war and tariffs leading to a war, that would occur if we tried to cut-off or cut-out the Chinese from ANY needed natural resource. The U.S. generally doesn’t do this, unless we feel existentially threatened, or we have an administration politcally bent to stop/hurt the Chinese. Trump isn’t out to do this, Trump loves the Chinese, he loves India, he loves Russia. The guy has a temper, but he still has great love. The only real danger would if the love turn to anger, then watch out.

• EIDALM

Trump visit to south east Asia, was more like a circus, than that of the president of the most powerful country, in the World, I did not hear any progress in any serious subjects, facing the U S including the extremely high trade deficit with China, Japan, and other countries, as well as peaceful solution to the North Korea very dangerous nuclear conflict, or any other matter to speak off, in fact Donald Trump in this trip appeared more like a clown than a statesman..

• EIDALM

As I said before, this so called tax bill, is nothing less than a criminal act, daytime highway robbery of the American middle class and the poor, to enrich and shift more wealth to the super rich, billionaires, Wall Street, and multinational corporations

• jakeleone

Can’t anyone see that countries in the Middle East need strong governments, in order to prevent religious genocide?

And that we are the villains, because we gave arms to rebels in Syria who in turn recruited groups/members that wanted to start a religious war?

If a country has a religious faction, that doesn’t except religious pluralism, and thaty faction takes power (even Democratically and especially when Democratic) that faction will use the national government to outlaw all other religions. And it is only a despot that can hold all such genocidal factions at bay.

• SteveS

Trump says he believes that Putin believes he did not meddle in the election. Trump doesn’t seem to realize that if Putin sincerely believes that, unless he is suffering from some kind of amnesia, then he didn’t do it. So Trump is saying he believes that Putin didn’t do it, at the same time he says he is siding with US intelligence (now that his people are in charge) that he did do it. So it makes no sense at all.

• Noelle

That’s for sure.

• Another Mike

At the moment, I believe Trump thinks that Russians did it, without Putin’s involvement.

• Another Mike

Judge Moore apparently dated a 17 year old and an 18 year old. Does Ms. Jeffery believe these females were mere children, incapable of agreeing whether to date a grown man?

• William – SF

When Leigh Corfman was 14 years old, this is what she thought…

“I wanted it over with — I wanted out,” she remembers thinking. “Please just get this over with. Whatever this is, just get it over.”

• Another Mike

Corfman says she gave him her number. How did that phone call go? “Hello, Mrs. Corfman? Can I speak to your little girl?” And she said she met him a block away from her house, when it was dark and cold. Did neither parent wonder why she was out that time of night? Finally, at one of their two encounters, Corfman says he gave her “alcohol.” Beer, wine, or something from a pint bottle with the skull and crossbones on it?

• Noelle

Blame the victim.

• Another Mike

She may have been somebody’s victim, but what ties her to Moore? The majority of molested children were abused by a family member.

• Noelle

Maybe he was hanging out at high schools?

• William – SF

Read the Washington Post story. Roy Moore targeted the 14 year old, and followed through with his desire to sexual assault the child.

• Another Mike

Ri-i-i-ght.

Actually, what Corfman accuses Moore of doing sounds like what an agemate might do. “Second base” in the baseball metaphor.

• William – SF

So your defend Roy Moore’s right to make it to second base of a 14 year old?
            You are not a safe adult.

• Another Mike

Dude, likely she was groped by a 15 or 16 year old guy in actuality.

• William – SF

Likely you have a sick sense of sexuality. You are not a safe adult.
            Please try to defend child.

• ldemelis

He was representing her mother in a child custody case.

• Noelle

that’s creepy.

• Another Mike

No, he wasn’t. Read the original WaPo article.

• ldemelis

You are right. He was working in an an office down the hall when her mother was in court for a child custody case. According to that same article, though, the girl was sitting with her mother outside the courtroom when Moore offered to “watch” the girl when her mother went into court.

• William – SF

We will know we’ve made a tiny amount of progress on sexual assault when the aiders and abettors of Roy Moore’s behaviors go to jail too, and when the victims of the sexual assault crimes are being protected and others are standing up on their behalf.

• William – SF

Jesus dude, stop blaming everybody else but Roy Moore for his criminally sexually predatory behavior.

• Another Mike

Stories have to hold water.

• William – SF

And you’re going with Roy Moore’s and not a sexually assaulted 14 year old. That’s disgusting! I hope you don’t have children.

• Another Mike

I’m fairly certain that somebody, somewhere, some time, groped the 14 year old Corfman over her underwear.

• William – SF

Wow, that’s a despicable thing to write! You are not a safe person.

• Another Mike

What Ms. Corfman said happened to her has the ring of truth. But who did it to her? Probably some adolescent school mate.

• William – SF

You are not safe to and for children. Siding with sexual perpetrators only serves to continue sexual abuse.

• chriswinter

The age of consent in Alabama at that time was 16. Therefore it is the allegations regarding the 14-year-old that are the issue.

• Another Mike

If only.
        Everybody who discusses the matter blows it up to all four teens that Moore allegedly approached.

• William – SF

Leigh Corfman was 14 years old…

“I wanted it over with — I wanted out,” she remembers thinking. “Please just get this over with. Whatever this is, just get it over.”

• Robert Thomas

Blows it up“?

• Another Mike

Inflates

• Robert Thomas

The way that the charges of murder against Charles Manson were “inflated”, when these crimes were really committed by his acquaintances?

• Another Mike

Do you agree that an 18 year old woman is too immature to date a grown man?

• Noelle

Well, his 10 Commandments monument fight is barely being mentioned, which makes me question his judgement too.

• William – SF

Political recap:
    – DJT wants more Russian laundered money to buy his condos, therefore Russians did not hack the Presidential election; U.S. intelligence agencies have evidence Russia did hack election.
    – DJT applauds strongmen Putin and Duterte
    – DJT congratulates China for taking advantage of United States
    – Republicans condone dating 14 year olds since adult Joseph dated teenager Mary and we miraculously got Jesus https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/9/16630464/supporters-defend-roy-moore-mary-joseph
    – $1,7+ trillion dollar tax giveaway to the wealthy and corporations by Christmas

• Another Mike

How many cases did Sandra Day O’Connor try, before she became a judge in Maricopa County? Was she likewise unqualified?

• Robert Thomas

Strom Thurmond, 56 years a member of the United States Senate, was a child rapist.

In the context, it’s hard to believe that the sclerotic Republican leadership in the Senate have rejected Moore only because of these alleged indiscretions.

Thurmond, an acme of debauched hypocrisy within the white supremacist sewer of the pre-WWII Democratic Party, had impregnated a (barely) sixteen-year-old “colored” family maid in 1925. There’s no way that he held himself in check waiting for the girl’s sixteenth birthday. Everyone in South Carolina politics, at least, knew this fact and when throughout the 1950s the Democratic Party became too contrite about racial matters to comfortably tolerate his presence, the Republican Party became sufficiently broad minded to welcome the oily, leering monster with open arms. Roy Moore is a pale TV show clown in comparison (if no less degenerate), reflecting the banal flavor of dissipation characteristic of today’s GOP.

Were he alive today, would any sentient adult believe for a second that Senator Short Eyes hadn’t “interfered” with other young girls during his loathsome century?

• chriswinter

“The Life and Times of Judge Roy Moore — Lawlessness East of the Pecos”

I hear tell Moore is going to sue the Washington Post for committing journalism.

• Another Mike

“If you were a teen girl who Judge Moore approached as an assistant district attorney, call 1-800-JERRY uh WaPo”
      “WaPo! WaPo! WaPo!”

• William – SF

When Leigh Corfman was 14 years old, this is what she thought…

• Noelle

And to those who say why didn’t she complain about this 40 years ago, how many 14 year olds would come forward? I know I wouldn’t.

• Another Mike

Roy Moore has been in Alabama public life for four decades, running for Supreme Court justice not once but twice. Why does she tell her story now?

• Noelle

So he wont be elected? Once you’re in public life you need to be prepared for anything to come up. Probably why so many people don’t want to go into politics at all.

• Another Mike

But he has been elected, again and again, fearing no skeleton in his closet.

• Noelle

Powerful people think they are like teflon.

• Another Mike

The WaPo beat the bushes, and found one possible criminal offense.

• William – SF

They found more than one criminally sexually offensive behavior by Roy Moore and one 14 year old who voted for Trump willing to speak out.

How many 14 year olds would you like to hear tell their stories of being undressed, watching a thirty year old Roy Moore undress himself, and grope them?

How many would work for you?

How many?

• Another Mike

If there’s one thing we know about child molesters, it is that they are repeat offenders.

• William – SF

So how many children does Roy Moore have to sexually assault to make you believe the assaulted children? What percentage of sexually assaulted children later in life confront their perpetrators?

Nice job siding with the sexual predators.

• Another Mike

How improbable a molester does Moore have to be before you would admit he probably did not molest Corfman?

• William – SF

I believe Leigh Corfman. I believe all the women who described a 30+ year old Roy Moore pursing their teenage selfs. I believe all the woman who didn’t want to come forward and make their stories public because they fear they would face the punishing deniability you so readily promote.

Spend some time with children who have been sexually assaulted. Spend time with adults who as children were sexually assaulted.

Spend time with the aiders and abettors of sexual predators so you know how this vile crime continues to exist.

Then ask your question.

• Another Mike

I knew 16 year olds who dated guys 50% older than they were. When I asked how they managed the men’s expectations, they were quite self-assured that they could handle them. My grandmother married at 18, the age of one of the women considered too young to date Moore.

I do know women molested as children. They are messed up. A friend of my sister was raped at least weekly by her dad. He stopped when she started to menstruate, because he did not want to have a mutant child. She suppressed it for several years, then told her mother during her senior year of high school.

• William – SF

And yet you can deny Leigh Corfman’s account, and deny the accounts of the others? How?

Reread the accounts of predatory Catholic priests. Pattern: find vulnerable single moms with underage children, offer the women assistance of some kind, when the trust is affirmed molest her children.

I believe Leigh Corman.

• Another Mike

So why is it unimportant when the alleged incident does not match this pattern in any way?

• William – SF

Apparently you’ve decided to divorce yourself from the facts of Leigh Corfman’s story. Roy Moore offered Leigh’s mother to watch her. He convinced Leigh that it would be okay to be with him. He molested Leigh.

• Another Mike

Sure, for an afternoon. But what about the incidents, where kisses were exchanged in the deepwoods retreat of the district attorney. And where Ms. Corfman went for a return bout in which she was fondled?

• William – SF

All of those are crimes against a child, what about them?

• Another Mike

I’m trying — really hard — to make sense of your posts. You seemed to be saying that the district attorney molested the girl the day they met, while Mrs. Corfman entrusted her to his care. So I asked how it happened that Ms. Corfman returned to be molested again and again.

• Elizabeth Finkler

Re: Judge Moore: I’ve got a proposition. Why don’t we decide that behavior that is despicable and/or illegal in a teacher, sports coach, doctor, or celebrity is just as despicable and/or illegal in a so-called Christian politician or pundit?

• Another Mike

We don’t like Judge Moore, so any discreditable thing said about him must be true. Because 40 year old memories are never wrong.

• William – SF

Nice job siding with the sexual predator.

• Another Mike

Circular reasoning is circular.

• William – SF

Making excuses for offensive and criminal acts by adults on children is unconscionable and despicable.

• Another Mike

There is no excuse for a grown man to grope a 14 year old girl.

• William – SF

There is no excuse for a grown man to tell a mother that he’ll watch over her daughter while his real motivation is to sexually assault the woman’s 14 year old daughter.
            There is no excuse for a grown man to ask that 14 year old girl for her phone number.
            There is no excuse for a grown man to call that 14 year old girl and arrange to meet her around the corner from her house.
            There is no excuse for a grown man to pick up that 14 year old girl in his car and drive her to his house.
            There is no excuse for a grown man to give that 14 year old girl alcohol.
            There is no excuse for a grown man to undress her and himself at his house.
            There is no excuse for a grown man to grope that 14 year old girl.

• Another Mike

What kind of alcohol did Moore give the girl? Grain? Rubbing?
            The details that would give this story verisimilitude are sadly lacking.

• William – SF

Right, a 14-year old can tell the difference between Jim Beam and rubbing alcohol. WTF?

• Another Mike

Girls do not like most forms of alcohol — that’s why alcopops were invented.

• William – SF

I really hope you don’t have children.

• Another Mike

“Hon, that man is on the phone again. He wants to know if you’re going to be busy Thursday night. He plans to ply you with alcohol and see how you look in your undies.”

• William – SF

Geez man, I’m astonished. So he never called and hung up when the mother answered? He can’t tell the difference in voice between an adult woman and a 14 year old? He couldn’t figure out when the mother wouldn’t be at home to call?

Spend a moment to imagine what it must have felt like to be the 14 year old Leigh Corfman.

• Another Mike

Right, because it’s not suspicious when somebody calls and hangs up when they hear your voice. Did Mrs. Corfman suspect it was one of her husband’s floozies? Or did she suspect it had something to do with her little teen angel? Did Leigh make a beeline for the phone every time it rang? Did she abruptly stop talking when her mom entered the room?

Why wouldn’t Mrs. Corfman be home 24/7, except for going to church and the grocery store? Spend a moment to imagine what things were like in the Corfman house.

• pastramiboy

why are you imagining and trying leigh corfman for her behavior ?

• Another Mike

My assertion is that her story is improbable, and I was supporting my assertion by listing and describing the improbabilities in her story.

• William – SF

It’s not difficult to imagine Roy Moore being very effective in his sick and twisted and criminal pursuits of underage girls.

With the addition of recent evidence and acknowledgement of Roy Moore’s sick sexual predilection for underage girls, I hope you reconsider supporting adult sexual predators over children.

• Another Mike

The first paragraph is a naked assertion, without factual support.

Insofar as the second paragraph refers to the statement of Beverly Young Nelson, which stands on its own, it is true. The age of consent in Alabama is 16 while the age of majority is 19, so as in most states, adults there are free to have sex with minors above a certain age.

• William – SF

Got it. You’re fine with children being sexually assaulted. We’re done.

• Another Mike

Can you even define sexual assault?

• William – SF

Clearly doesn’t matter. You’ve already made up your mind that a 14 year old child can be sexually assaulted by the 32 year old Roy Moore.

• Another Mike

This comment is an offensive misrepresentation of my position, which is that the 14 year old’s story of molestation by Moore is improbable, while a 16 year old girl can legally consent to sex with an adult in Alabama.

• William – SF

Not a misrepresentation of your position. You’ve made absolutely no comments defending the 14 year old. None. You have, though, only offered excuses for Roy Moore.
            You are unsafe. You don’t choose to defend children. You choose instead to defend the sexual predator.

• Another Mike

I find the described scenario improbable:
            “Hon, that man is on the phone again. He wants to know if you’re going
            to be busyThursday night. If not, he’ll pick you up at eight and take you to the house in the woods. He plans to ply you with alcohol and see how you look in your undies.”

• William – SF

Why put quotes around words that were never said? That’s sick!

She remembers that Moore kissed her, that he took off her pants and shirt, and that he touched her through her bra and underpants. She says that he guided her hand to his underwear and that she yanked her hand back.

“I wasn’t ready for that — I had never put my hand on a man’s P e n i s, much less an erect one,” Corfman says.

The legal age of consent in Alabama, then and now, is 16. Under Alabama law in 1979, and today, a person who is at least 19 years old who has sexual contact with someone older than 12 and younger than 15 has committed sexual abuse in the second degree. Sexual contact is defined as touching of sexual or intimate parts. The crime is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail.

The law then and now also includes a section on enticing a child younger than 16 to enter a home with the purpose of proposing sexual intercourse or fondling of sexual and genital parts. That is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/woman-says-roy-moore-initiated-sexual-encounter-when-she-was-14-he-was-32/2017/11/09/1f495878-c293-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html

• Another Mike

The mother was fighting to retain custody of her child. Yet she turns around and lets the child wander off for an entire evening? Not only once, but twice. And what about when the child came home? “Where have you been?!? Doing what? With whom?”

• William – SF

You are unable to see how hard you try to defend his actions, and question her accounts of Roy Moore’s pursuit of her and his felonious crime. It’s shocking! That behavior makes you unsafe around children. Children cannot rely upon your judgment to protect them.

• Another Mike

I’d like to know what actions I am defending.

I just can’t picture a world where a woman lets a strange man babysit her 14 year old daughter. Where a district attorney has an entire afternoon free to babysit. A world in which nobody thinks it’s untoward that the district attorney is spending his afternoon with a cute eighth grader, and nobody interrupts him.

A world where the mother never answers the phone, and she never notices that her nubile teen daughter has left home for the evening. Or questions the daughter the next day on the preceding evening’s activities. A woman who had recently gone to court to fight for the right to retain custody of this teen girl, who presumably was motivated to take extra care of her.

A world where a 14 year old girl sneaks off to ride with a grown man. And is so impressed by the evening’s kissing that she agrees to a return bout. A bout where she drinks some generic alcoholic beverage. Even Muslims know the difference between wine and beer.

• William – SF

It is offensive that you describe a 14 year old as cute or nubile.

You are completely blinded by your view of sexuality that you can’t consider the innocents of a 14 year old and the predatory behavior of a 32 year old man. Spend some time with that thought.

• Another Mike

I do so because that should have been a red flag for any passerby. Yet apparently no one reacted.

I have no doubt that Ms. Corfman was abused, but by whom?

Half of all child abuse victims were abused by a family member. Only one victim in ten is abused by someone known to them, that is neither family nor someone in a position of authority (like a coach or schoolteacher). Twenty percent are molested by total strangers.

The Corfmans were getting divorced at the time. They had one child. Little Leigh met Moore the day of the child custody hearing that was to determine whether she would live with her mother or her father.

Although Mr. Corfman remarried, he had no more children.

While I’m not Sigmund Freud, I would think it’s not impossible that the little girl recast the district attorney as her abuser, because speaking about the person who really abused her would be simply unthinkable.

• William – SF

Why are you looking for a reaction from a passerby???

Her story doesn’t matter, you have your own.

You place yourself on the side of the perpetrator, and that makes you unreliable to children and those that need an adult to protect them.

I hope the moment never comes when a child has to rely on you to protect them.

• pastramiboy

get off with that sexist bs-plenty of women love to drink-alcopops are about being accessible to kids!

• Another Mike

I cannot understand how this post responds to my comment: “Girls do not like most forms of alcohol — that’s why alcopops were invented” i.e., to provide alcohol in a form that girls would like.

• Another Mike

Another point: none of the assistant district attorneys I have known have had oodles of free time during the work day. So while I believe that Moore met the young Ms. Corfman and her mother, in front of the courthouse, I doubt that he could have volunteered to stand outside chatting with the girl during an entire child custody hearing, which could well have taken two hours or more. Anybody looking for him would have raised his eyebrows when he found Moore standing outside the courthouse, talking to a little girl. So it seems reasonable that he would have parked Corfman with a secretary or court clerk.

• William – SF

Wow dude, you are still making excuses for Roy Moore. Stop it!! Read the bloody article.

• Another Mike

I read it. It is a near total smear.

• William – SF

Thoughts of a 14 year old…

• Noelle
      • pastramiboy

Mike i expect more from you-you often offer reasoned cogent posts-but not this time. Those “40 yr old memories” have been corroborated many times i believe-i just heard the latest woman t step forward say she told her husband, her mom, her mom, her best friend. Moore is the worst kind of religious hypocrite. And you’re right, i don’t like him.

• Another Mike

While the 14 year old’s story was rambling and highly improbable,* the 16 year old’s story — “kindly” middle-aged man who offers 16 year old girl a ride home suddenly becomes all hands — was all too likely, full of specific details

But I would like to hear the “many times” the 14 year old’s story was corroborated. Those details were not in the WaPo story..

*I can point out the unlikely parts if you’d like.

• pm05

RE: “trickle down”; heard on an earlier NPR program – companies have tons of money that they are hoarding. They aren’t spending it; they are increasing wages. They are just hanging on to their money. So… if they get more money? There is/will be no “trickle down”; companies want the money for themselves, their shareholders and nobody else. They will just hang on to even more profits.

• jakeleone

So True. The rich get richer, by having more money then they know what to do with. So they turn it over to a money manager, who invests conservatively or buys bonds that are as safe as can be.

The best you can do is to cut taxes on the poor and middle class, and raise taxes on the rich. This causes money to flow in the U.S. economy, for things that are needed.

BTW, there is really no short-term economic difference between a tax and spend Democrat and a borrow and spend Republican. More conservative values tend to give breaks to investors, and this can have a long term positive affect. Democrats can counter this by spending in the right areas to increase human capability and productivity.

• William – SF

When government spends (invests) money in projects that support society there is a multiplier effect, like with infrastructure spending. Democrats don’t decide to hand corporations and the wealthy tax cuts of $1.7+ trillion paid for with the efforts of 98% of Americans, Republicans do.

• chriswinter

Roy Moore’s law professor Guy V. Martin remembers:

That said, when you vote Tuesday, you might consider the following:

One: Roy Moore did not get along with his colleagues in law school or on the Supreme Court. The arguments were not over Christianity.

In law school, the arguments arose from what Disraeli called “falling into a deep groove of illogic and being helpless to allow reason to
    pull you out.” If Moore’s analysis of a case was tantamount to thinking 1 + 1 = 3, and his classmates reasoned otherwise, there was no backing down by Moore. The class was willing to fight to the death against illogic that no legal mind but one in America would espouse.

Moore never won one argument, and the debates got ugly and personal. The result: gone was the fulfillment a teacher hopes for in the still
    peace of logic and learning. I had no choice but to abandon the Socratic method of class participation in favor of the lecture mode because of
    one student: Roy Moore.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/09/a_lesson_on_roy_moore_from_his.html

• Another Mike

What subject did Martin teach Moore?

• chriswinter

The title of the linked article makes that clear:

A lesson on Roy Moore from his former law school professor

• Another Mike

God bless you Chris, but there are individual classes in law school, not Law I, Law II, and so on. First year contains Contracts, Property, Torts, etc. These, if any, are the Socratic Method classes, the “mind full of mush” Paper Chase classes. Second year has some core courses and some electives, while third year is all electives around a theme. (hopefully) Once the student has gotten past the core, the Socratic Method goes bye-bye.

Moore started U of A Law School the year Martin graduated, 1974. Martin was an adjunctt from 1976 to 1978. So what would Martin have taught more? Not his essential coursework from 1974 to 1975. Not the transition coursework from 1975 to 1976. (Most likely as an adjunct he would have started with the new academic year.)

So Martin likely taught Moore some meaningless elective in the 1976-1977 academic year, when most students are bored, praying for graduation, and dreading the upcoming bar exam.

So I repeat, which subject did Martin teach Moore? Critical Race Theory? Advanced Negotiation? Antitrust?

• Jessica

Looks like last week they restored the adoption credit

• Ehkzu

If you want to understand why right wingers defend Roy Moore and Donald J. Trump, and why they seem to have little or no connection to what the word “conservative” should mean, the answer is that these people aren’t conservatives. They’re authoritarians. Consider the main authoritarian traits, and you’ll see how well they fit the GOP in 2017:
    * Conventionalism
    * Submittion to authority figures
    * Authoritarian aggression
    * Superstition and stereotyping
    * Concern with power and toughness
    * Destrictiveness and cynicism
    * Projection
    * Obsession with sexual goings-on
    * Hostility towards imagination

See how well this set of traits fits both Trump and his followers?
    Which means that when we argue with them and are incredulous about their support for Trump, Moore etc., we need to realize that they’re working off a different playbook.

• Another Mike

The story Beverly Young Nelson related in today’s news, of having been a 16 year old waitress having to fight off Moore’s advances in the car he promised her a ride home in, seems dispositive. He needs to withdraw from the Senate race now.

• pastramiboy

Finally!

• John

Interesting that the Bible thumpers are often the biggest pervs. Maybe they turn to extreme religion to help them deal with personal guilt over their perversions.

• De Blo

It is absolutely horrifying and disgusting that Republicans are actually defending a serial child molester, pedophile, and sexual predator. We already knew that Moore opposed consensual adult marriage and healthy romantic family relationships, so perhaps it is not surprising to hear that his opposition to the Constitution, to love, and to the rule of law is motivated by his own sexual depravity.

• Another Mike

You’ll be shocked to learn that last week, San Francisco honored a man who, at age 33, not only dated 16 year olds but actually shacked up with one.

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor