Homeowner Martha Marquez looks over her burned home in Santa Rosa, California on October 10, 2017.

Losing a home or fleeing from a wildfire can be a traumatic event. And for many people, monitoring news about the North Bay wildfires and keeping track of loved ones is stressful as well. Forum discusses how to recognize the signs of burnout and trauma, methods for taking care of yourself and the mental health services being offered at evacuation centers as wildfires continue to burn.

Guests:
Michael Kennedy,
behavioral health director, Sonoma County Department of Health Services
Alan Siegel, psychologist and associate clinical professor, UC Berkeley
Alexa Stone, mental health clinician, Sonoma County Department of Mental Health

Resources Mentioned on Air:

More Information:

Coping with the Stress and Trauma of Natural Disasters 13 October,2017Mina Kim

• EIDALM

The deadliest earthquake in recorded history happened in Egypt in 1201 AD, where near 1.5 million people were killed, that always have been back in my mind since I have been living in the Bay Area for long time, from the 1970’s were we had swarms of many earth quakes, as well as the 1989 Loma Prieta magnitude 7 earthquake which caused near one death and the collapse of many structures, buildings, roads, as well as section of the collapse of the upper section of the Bay Bridge, and the pancaking and total collapse of the upper section of the Cypress freeway which trapped and buried over 100 cars under massive concrete, and over 60 drivers were crushed to death…..With all of that mind, I always have in the back of mind when the big one will hit us, and if it is 8 magnitude or more that happens on the Hayward fault, the death and destruction may be parallel to that happened in Egypt in 1201 AD……The Hayward fault eruption have an average cycle of 140 years for magnitude 7 or larger, and the last one was magnitude 7 happened 1n the year 1868, so we are overdue for another eruption, that may bring far bigger disaster for the Bay Area, specially the extremely heavy populated the East Bay.

• Skip Conrad

Yes, and they want to bring even more people into the state. Doesn’t make sense.

• Noelle

Let’s check our home disaster supplies now. When the earthquake happens, don’t expect help for at least 3 days.

• educated_from_Idaho

Seems to me local hand crafters could come volunteer, bringing donations of yarn, needles, hooks, and the patience to teach, if any of these people in shelter want to experience the soothing effects of handwork. I would do this.

• Jessica

Me too…. And origami!

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor