A deal was reached Monday on Senate Bill 54, the so-called sanctuary state bill, which was crafted to prevent California law enforcement officials from cooperating with federal immigration agents. We’ll discuss what the amended bill looks like, including a compromise between Governor Brown and bill author Senator Kevin de Leon to allow local police at their discretion to hold an arresteeĀ for federal agents.

Deal Reached Between Governor Brown and Lawmakers on ‘Sanctuary State Bill’ 12 September,2017tlaurberg

Guests:
Marisa Lagos, reporter with KQED's California politics and government desk

• Kurt thialfad

Kidnapping is a federal crime. if my son is kidnapped, and I call the local police will they say , “Sorry, you need to call the FBI”?

• John

Yet again KQED celebrating the protecting of criminals. Illegal immigrants are criminals they are breaking the law. Why not do a show on Drew Rosneberg’s family? The Bologna’s? Steinle’s? etc. NO KQED can’t ever do that. Putting illegal immigrants ahead of legal U.S. citizens is sickening and risking our safety for it is criminal.

• geraldfnord

Okrent’s Last Call makes plain that the oppressive and unrealistic Volstead Act (and the amendment it enabled) fell largely because those states and localities that found it particularly tyrannical and silly refused to aid Prohibition agents.

• De Blo

Please deport all 11 million criminal illegal alien invaders immediately. Why is our state government attacking Californians and harboring criminal invaders who oppose the rule of law and steal from Californians?

• John

Unbelievable Steinle was not a complicated case seriously Shafer! Mariasa Lagos dismissal of her and defending Lopez-Sanchez and his crimes. Wow disgusting how did these two get to be reporters and completely un-objective biased reporting

• MikeCassady

Each time I hear someone say President Obama was the “Deporter in Chief,” it brings to mind a claim that the fact of increased deportations in his term was due to a change in policy, i.e., a paper change, that was to have persons who entered the US illegally registered officially right at the border, then deported immediately, and officially. The prior practice was to simply push such persons back across the border without registtering their existence. Reports I have read say it is that change of border management practice that has shown an increase in deportations under Obama. Your guest used the language “deporter in chief” again this morning: does she disagree that the increase was not just a statistical one?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Regardless of their immigration status, why should I want more uneducated ne’er-do-wells entering California?
    Why is the education level and work skills never addressed? You claim to welcome immigrants — to what? At what point will the state run out of menial jobs? Why is this never studied? That’s what the state office of the legislative analyst should study – without politically correct bias:
    http://www.lao.ca.gov/

• jurgispilis

Kevin DeLoeon’s district in LA is ground zero for forgery of ID documents. I wonder how he ever got elected?

• Skip Conrad

Kevin stated these people have been in the country for years. if that’s the case, then write that is not the bill. Sadly, it’s not. You can be in the US 10 minutes in order to qualify.

• William – SF

My brother-in-law, a farmer, lifelong Republican, and admitted employer of illegal immigrants, says that without them farming would collapse in California. And yes, he checks their paperwork. And yes, he says, the vast majority of times the paperwork is fake yet passes. Maybe he’s just making excuses, and maybe the realities on the ground supersede laws.

Lumping illegal immigrants into one basket, whether as criminals or lacking job skills, is simply specious.

• Curious

“says that without them farming would collapse in California.”

This is patently false.

• anthony

“says that without them farming would collapse in California.”This is patently false.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor