Tibetan spiritual leader The Dalai Lama speaks during a inter faith religious conclave ahead of India's 70th anniversary of Independence in Mumbai on August 13, 2017.

Celebrated Tibetan Buddhist scholar Robert Thurman was 23 when he first met the Dalai Lama, after having dropped out of Harvard to explore the mysteries and complexities of Buddhism. The Dalai Lama made Thurman a monk, a vocation Thurman calls a “life-long MacArthur fellowship.” Heeding his impulse to help others develop spiritually, Thurman left the monastery to become a scholar-activist. Now a professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist studies at Columbia, he joins us to talk about his latest book, ‘Man of Peace: The Illustrated Life Story of the Dalai Lama of Tibet.’

Mentioned on Air:

“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” Dalia Lama Segment

Buddhist Scholar Robert Thurman Illustrates Life of Dalai Lama in ‘Man of Peace’ 11 September,2017Mina Kim

Guests:
Robert Thurman, professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist studies, Columbia University; author of 'Man of Peace: The Illustrated Life Story of the Dalai Lama of Tibet'

• jakeleone

I have to say I really like the Dalai Lama, he’s basically the John Paul II of Budhism, bless his heart.

What is Budhism’s take on the fact that our atoms and molecules are largely replaced yet our spirit remains, or is that an illusion?

Thanks, and while we are all cousins, if not brothers and sisters, you are a closer cousin of our family. I tell people at work this, and they say have you met Uma, I have to say no. But that’s cool, humanity is a diaspora.

• marte48

what does the Dalai Lama have to say about the oppression of the Muslims in Myanmar?

• Bob Stone

Wow, way to stereotype the genders. I guess he gets a pass….

• BDN

best most informative guest you had in a long time

• Colin Kane

what does the Dalai Lama have to say about the oppression of the Muslims in Myanmar?

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor