A small group of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and members of the 'alt-right' face off with Virginia State Police in front of the statue of General Robert E. Lee after the 'Unite the Right' rally was declared an unlawful gathering August 12, 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia. After clashes with anti-fascist protesters and police the rally was declared an unlawful gathering and people were forced out of Emancipation Park, where a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee is slated to be removed

The far right-wing group Patriot Prayer hopes to stage a rally at San Francisco’s Crissy Field on August 26, an event that is expected to draw armed sympathizers and white supremacists. Fearing violence, state and city lawmakers have called on on the National Park Service to rescind the group’s permit. We discuss how San Francisco and other cities are preparing for rallies by far right wing and white nationalist groups, and how citizens, civil rights groups and counterprosters are planning to respond.

Guests:
Seth Brysk,
central pacific regional director, Anti-Defamation League
Jim Dudley, retired deputy chief of patrol, San Francisco Police Department; co-host of “Policing Matters” podcast
John Sepulvado, host, The California Report
Karissa Lewis, executive director, Center for Third World Organizing; member of the BlackOUT Collective and Black Lives Matter

On Heels of Charlottesville, San Francisco Braces for Far-Right Rally 18 August,2017Mina Kim

• Curious

Noting to “brace” for apart from left wing violence.

• geraldfnord

Robot guard #1: Administer the test.
      Robot guard #2: Which of the following would you most prefer? A: A puppy? B: A pretty flower from your sweetie or C: A large properly formatted data file?
      Robot guard #1: Choose!
      [Fry and Leela whisper to each other about the answer.]
      Fry: Is the puppy mechanical in any way?
      Robot guard #2: No. It is the bad kind of puppy.

• Curious

A former community college professor has been arrested in connection with using a U-shaped bicycle lock to violently attack several people during an April pro-Trump rally in Berkeley, California.

• pastramiboy

So what-are you concerned that a former professor was arrested? Wa he a member of the racist right? I’m not sure what you are worried about?

• jakeleone

Why?

• geraldfnord

…or put on a street production of “Springtime for Hitler”.

• jakeleone

ROFL

• John

Jake and Elwood had the right idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCw7RJ5eE8

• Sar Wash

This is a free speech rally organized by folks who are racial minorities. Every speaker except for one is a racial or ethnic minority. There should not be any controversy here.

• Paula

Sorry, they are using their free speech right to promote evil.

• Curious

Too bad. their speech is protected. Just like pro-abortionists and BLM.

• geraldfnord

That’s not how freedom of speech works. Fortunately, given what they want and whom they generally attract, they will readily and frequently actually break the law by menacing, assaulting, battery, fighting words, and even murder—and their leaders will, if history is any guide, frequently defrayd and sexually assault them.

Some of that happens whenever humans group together, but they will be particularly prone to those crimes because those crimes are the essence of their ideology.

• Curious

BLM?

• pastramiboy

bureau of land management? the true terrorists of our time.

• pastramiboy

You know that black lives matter has no platform of violence-they really only want better more just policing.

• Sar Wash

Tell that to the 5 Dallas police officers that Black Lives Matter terrorists killed (and yes I am black and a civil rights activist).

• Sar Wash

All Americans have a right to promote evil or to advocate for any position. That is the right of free speech and free expression upon which our nation is founded.

• Bill_Woods

The police need to take an active role, arresting lawbreakers and keeping would-be combatants apart.
    Rather than standing back and passively observing, as in Berkeley and Charlottesville.

• geraldfnord

A very good point. With the exception of some dictatorships, the State doesn’t even try to have a monopoly on violence: it insists on having a monopoly on the authorisation of violence. (For example, saying when a land-owner may shoot a trespasser, when violence is ‘legitimate self-defence’, or authorising and leading lynch-mobs.) When the police stand-back, that can easily be read as authorisation.

• trite

Stay away. That is the best response to these rallies. Do not pay them the attention they crave. Ignore them–and have your own rallies at another time.

• Jon Latimer

^bump

• AllesK

It’s fuel on the fire but what happens if the Pink Pistols show up — also open carrying? I can imagine a strong, steadfast pink wall demonstrating San Francisco values.

• Chris Boyce

the driver of a murder/bank robbery/assault is charged with the same crime as the one who actually did it regardless, so why do we need to separate these different white supremacist groups if their actions are all in tandem?

• Sean Karlin

While I agree with Karissa Lewis’ underlying point, I think it is a simplification to paint all criminal activity by police, i.e. the recent sex scandal in the OPPD, as being part of the white supremacy movement. This just muddies the issues and allows for mis-information.

• Curious

Karissa is as racist as the KKK.

• William – SF
    • Jon Latimer

The thing the Alt Right wants is more media coverage. That’s what all this is about. Creating a literal “circus environment” at their rallies plays in this, gives them fuel to portray the left as silly, petty, and ignorant, so I don’t recommend it. Stage a larger rally, for a better cause, somewhere else entirely. Show the world how infinitesimally small, insignificant, and unimportant the Alt Right is. That’s how you defeat them. Do NOT engage them.

• William – SF

It’s telling that the Germans don’t allow Natsi symbols or guns at marches – goes a long way to taking the air out of the hate balloons.

• Anthony Lee

I saw a great solution. For every white supremacist that marches, sponsor them by donating money to anti-white supremacist organizations for the distances that they march and go there and cheer them on for helping raise money.

• Eric Dekker

The Southern Poverty Law Center recommends not going to hate rallies to protest. Can your guests comment on this?

• abe1000

What if they gave a war and nobody came. Stay away is the best strategy. Let the police deal with them. The Berkeley police are responsible and will do the right thing

• Chris Boyce

If people would have stayed away in Charlottesville, would we be having this conversation? Would we have taken these groups seriously and acknowledge the threat?

• abe1000

No.

• Chris Boyce

I do agree now though that a counter protest/ demonstration at a separate, but close location could drown out any hate rally. Then the narrative could be look at how much more love there is then hate.

• abe1000

The “No Marxism in America ” rally in Berkeley has no permit. Let the police deal with it

• geraldfnord

Do the police need a refresher—or first—lesson in what constitute ‘fighting words’, which are not protected speech?

• Curious

Like “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon” from BLM. Arrest them now.

• pastramiboy

Again-substantiate this claim. You seem to be chronically unable to back anything up that you say.

• Livegreen

The proof that the media still matters is that KQED and other local media stations still have larger distribution and more cameras and helicopters than individual Twitter handles. The radical groups on the left and radical groups on the right are both getting extra media attention because of their violence and they were happy to do so.

Blaming the police is convenient to both the far left and far right to not accept responsibility for their own actions. It’s simply always the fault of the police. KQED forum is happy to cover and share those most radical points of view, almost no coverage of what makes a functioning society and government, and contribute to the breakdown of orderly society.

• Jessica Stiles

I drew up a list of ideas for citywide, decentralized counter-protests that the City of Berkeley retweeted:
    https://twitter.com/CityofBerkeley/status/898294611826712576

• Paula

For most of my life I’ve wondered how did Germany allow
    Nazis to rise to power. I am chilled by the thought that we are there now in
    our own country.

I had hoped that the generation of white supremacists would
    die out soon and we might make progress as a society. But now I seen this new generation
    of evil. It is truly frightening and depressing to see evil growing.

• Curious

Wow! Giving a platform to a representative of the left wing, racist and violent hate group, BLM! Pull federal funding from PBS NOW!

• pastramiboy

if there were no pbs how would you continue your trolling?

• Paula

For most of my life I’ve wondered how did Germany allow
    Nazis to rise to power. I am chilled by the thought that we are there now in
    our own country.

I had hoped that the generation of white supremacists would
    die out soon and we might make progress as a society. But now I see this new generation
    of evil. It is truly frightening and depressing to see evil growing.

• turquoisewaters

How? One step at a time. One excuse at a time. One “it won’t be that bad” at a time. One “if does not affect ME” at a time. One “maybe some of this will benefit ME” at a time. One “sacrifices are necessary to get to utopia” at a time.

• Curious

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) reports that Jason Kessler, the organizer of last Saturday’s white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, is a former Occupy Wall Street activist and supporter of Barack Obama.

• pastramiboy

key word = “former.”

• Jon Latimer

As much as I normally appreciate the work of John Sepulvado, his casual dismissal of the role and responsibility of the media in lending validity (through coverage) of the Alt Right movement is concerning. I’m not saying NPR/KQED shouldn’t cover it, but we need to be aware of what roll the media has played historically in shaping public opinion, in framing the narrative of current events, sensationalizing controversy, and giving a platform to voices that do not necessarily deserve the legitimacy we are providing them. The media is similarly dismissive of the roll they played in giving Trump a platform for his opinions. The man is literally an idiot. He’s not a successful business man at all – he’s essentially a con artist, a bully, a racist, and a misogynist. I know teenagers with a better understanding of constitutional law, morality, dignity and statesmanship…but at some point the media decided “I wonder what Trump thinks about this issue?”, because he was controversial, and that’s good for ratings, and a decade later, he’s a freakin president. What’s next – why don’t we ask the Kardashians what they think about income inequality, about corporate personhood, or state sponsored racism? The media needs to own their responsibility. Let the Alt Right promote and stream their own events.

• pm05

The clowns and clown horns would be great!
    Glitter bomb them too !

• BDN

“Hate speech is not a term of art” — IOW you can still legally march against and say you don’t like niggas,kikes,ragheads,and muzzies cuz it’s still the American way.

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor