Protesters walk during the Women's March on Washington, with the U.S. Capitol in the background, on January 21, 2017 in Washington, DC. Large crowds are attending the anti-Trump rally a day after U.S. President Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th U.S. president.

The Women’s March broke records as one of the largest protests in U.S. history, with approximately 3 to 4 million participants. But what happened to the momentum after that? We discuss what makes an effective, sustainable protest movement today… and draw lessons from past movements by talking to longtime activists and influencers from AIDS advocacy, Black Lives Matter, the Tea Party movement, the Grab Your Wallet boycott and more.

Protest in a Time of Political Polarization 7 April,2017Eric Westervelt

Guests:
Shannon Coulter, co-founder, Grab Your Wallet
Avram Finkelstein, artist, writer and activist
L.A. Kauffman, organizer and protest movement historian; author, ""Direct Action: Protest and the Reinvention of American Radicalism"
Brendan Steinhauser, co-founder & partner, Steinhauser Strategies
Mark-Anthony Johnson, director of Health and Wellness, Dignity and Power Now

• Kurt thialfad

Some of us are protesting the sf sanctuary ordinance, and the illegal use of government funds for legal defense of aliens in immigration court.

• De Blo

Overpopulation is the cause of environmental degradation and, in America, overpopulation is driven by illegal immigration. So, it certainly makes sense for all environmentalists and liberals to support the immediate deportation of all 11 million criminal illegal alien invaders.

• Evan Stateler

Don’t forget March for Science in D.C. and 425+ satellite cities on April 22. https://www.marchforscience.com/ as part of Earth Day Climate action.

• Kevin Skipper

So, you’re a science man, eh? Good.
      I’d like, as my Earth Day gift, a list of citations in reference to any objective scientific data corroborating the climate change story.

• Robert Thomas

“The Realities of Climate Change”
        Scholastic News
        http://www.scholastic.com/browse/collection.jsp?id=262

• Kevin Skipper

Looks exactly like the climate change articles from the Hoover Institution’s page. Corporate agenda tends to be largely congruent with that of its beneficiary educational bodies.

Scholastic Inc.
          Nasdaq: SCHL

• Kevin Skipper

http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3749276

The first article, ‘Antarctica Breaking’ employs only one piece of quantitative data, the approximate area (rounded to the nearest thousand square miles) of the alleged ice sheet. Informational sources are cited as “satellite photos.” No photos or intensive peer input.

• Robert Thomas

Kevin, I was making a joke. I could have gone with the analysis from My Weekly Reader but that seemed unnecessarily snarky.

• Kevin Skipper

Oh. It did seem funny but I didn’t want to assume. Lol. That’s actually hilarious. Scholastic.

• Evan Stateler

Read this and all citations and get back to me with rebuttal including your opposing citations. Then we can start a discussion.

• Evan Stateler
          • Kevin Skipper

interesting. Chock full of technical terminology that I’m sure would be really useful to the average layman.

Let’s review. In English. The article describes a process by which high frequency electromagnetic radiation in certain parts of the atmosphere is compared to conventional ground-level data. That information is used to create a composite model or projection of THEORETICAL scenarios as related to anthropogenic climate change. Regardless of whether or not one finds these conjectures valid, we must concede the point that they are models subject to the manner and the interests in which the information of which they are comprised is collected, organized, and ultimately programmed into any given equation, corollary or model.

That is, of course, my response after browsing the article. While I review it at length, perhaps you would be willing to provide your interpretation of the results presented therein. In your words, is the data presented sufficient to confirm that the veracity human-caused climate change is, beyond a doubt, exempt from further debate?

• Robert Thomas

Science is a survey journal that assumes a readership inexpert with the subject but that is scientifically educated. The typical reader will recognize his or her own ill-preparedness to draw contrary conclusions and will place guarded faith in the editors and scholarly reviewers to assess the presented methodologies, while awaiting other researchers’ results, either to confirm or contradict the presented work.

“… [W]e must concede the point that they are models subject to the manner and the interests in which the information of which they are comprised is collected, organized, and ultimately programmed into any given equation, corollary or model.”

Well put. That’s what we must do for all science.

• Robert Thomas

I’m certainly no expert on the subject but I see nothing in the article to which Evan Stateler refers that talks about “high frequency electromagnetic radiation” (x-rays? gamma rays?) of any kind. Rossby waves are oceanic and atmospheric waves that are motivated by the Earth’s rotation, tidal forces, insolation and the Coriolis force, among other phenomena. The Rossby waves are generally considered to be traveling waves. I take it that the authors have a model that suggests that anthropogenic activity has contributed to forcing the oscillation of the Rossby waves into resonant (“quasi-resonant”) standing cells with a wave number of six to eight in synoptic (1,000km+ scale) regions of the Northern hemisphere in Summer.

I’m utterly unfamiliar with the idea of Rossby waves (I had to look it up) but after reading about them, I believe I broadly understand the assertions made by the authors.

It occurred to me that there is a recent, very wonderful example of this effect: the startling views provided by the Voyager and Cassini spacecraft of the hexagonal polar storm pattern on the planet Saturn. Google confirmed that there are several theoretical models of gas giant weather that predicted such very large scale Rossby quasi-resonant standing wave atmospheric phenomena, with wave numbers also of five to eight.

Check out:

http://www.cosmicriver.net/uploads/5/3/0/7/5307578/926463793.jpg

Saturn’s hexagon
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn%27s_hexagon

“Exploration of a Hexagonal Structure on Saturn’s Northern Pole”
            By Tianlu Yuan
            University of Colorado Boulder
            http://tquark.colorado.edu/~tianlu/public/saturnHex_paper.pdf

“A laboratory model of Saturn’s North Polar Hexagon”
            By Ana C. Barbosa Aguiar et al.
            Atmospheric, Oceanic and Planetary Physics
            Department of Physics
            University of Oxford, Clarendon Laboratory
            http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~rwordsworth/aguiar2009.pdf

• Kevin Skipper

Read the comments to the article. Just so happens that they’re on Disqus. Seems that all three of those present share my fundamental critique of the climate change premise. I like the last one who points out that the data is needlessly and uselessly presented in Kelvin (theoretical absolute zero) units. lol. Context.

• Kevin Skipper

Eric. Be honest. You’re not going to talk to protest leaders. You’re going to facilitate another pedantic diatribe between the corporate media and certain crisis actors and pseudoactivist imposters.

I’ve been saying it for months. Black Lives Matter is a campaign put together by the same racist, misogynistic info-managers that push distractory and disinformative fake news. The goal is not to inform the public but to polarize it.

Perfidious reporters like Mr. Westervelt are part of a movement in which valid citizen’s awareness and critiques are effectively coopted into contradictory narratives that essentially divide the population by demographics. Ethnic and racial affinity metrics are utilized to selectively funnel information that effectively builds opinions. Half-questions effectively guide homogenized pundits through soft-ball questioning that invariably supports a half-informed, zero-sum narrative.

• Kevin Skipper

“That’s a valid point. Yes, and. Wonky. Yeah.” Hard-hitting interview style, Westervelt. Think you might question the story, anytime soon?

C’mon. Who counted 3-4 million at the Women’s March? It was 12 degrees fahrenheit for God’s sake!

• Bill_Woods

That figure is lumping together events all over the world. The actual march in Washington was more like 0.4 million.

• Kevin Skipper

That’s a pretty significant contextual difference. Seems like listeners would find that detail important when deciding whether or not to view certain opinion-building campaigns as valid or not.

• William – SF

The mega-million women’s march was to take a stand against a misogynist, rapist, and soon-to-be President Trump.
          https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/us/donald-trump-tape-transcript.html

• Kevin Skipper

That’s what the racist, rapist-promoting NYT would have us believe.

• William – SF

No, that would be His own words.

• Kevin Skipper

Who’s words?

• William – SF

Read the link, please.
            “His own words” = “misogynist, rapist, and soon-to-be President Trump”
            “soon-to-be” is in reference to the day Trump’s own words were disclosed, in case that’s not clear.

• Kevin Skipper

Who is “he?” I just read the transcript. Saw nothing that could be construed as rape.

• William – SF

Are we going to argue over the definition of sexual assault or fingers or pen*s?

• Kevin Skipper

Yes. You said ‘rapist.’ Not ‘alleged’ or ‘accused.’ Contextually significant.

• William – SF

Read the transcript in the company of women. It’s not alleged or accused if the descriptions of the sexual assaults are Trump’s own words.

• Kevin Skipper

I’m a man of taste. When in the company of women, I prefer to guide the conversation towards more productive and pleasant topics.

The transcript was of a private boasting session between two wealthy, likely drunk, white men. One of them a Bush. Both of them erstwhile employees of corporate media outlets. I would be a fool, and probably, a BLM leader, if I expected any true statements to be uttered in such a setting.

• William – SF

Re-read the transcript, and sure, aloud, in the company of others. There are no excuses. None.

• Noelle

it wasn’t only in Washington, DC

• Kevin Skipper

All the more reason to question the numbers. I’d argue that most women were too smart to fall for that populist ruse.

• Noelle

What do you advocate for? Real revolution?

• Kevin Skipper

I advocate for the careful questioning of suggested presumptions, especially as it pertains to socio-political and economic discourse. I’m against intellectual laziness and foregoing critical thinking in favor of herd-mindedness.

• Noelle

Good.

• Kevin Skipper

The real revolution: When two citizens of differing views converse with one another and even if they fail to find common ground, recognize that all of our perceptions are born of our humanity and should be treated as such.

“The most wretched condition of slavery is that the slave has no opinion other than that which is provided to him in the interest and to the service of perpetuating his station and protecting that of his oppressor.” -Kevin Skipper, ‘Mein Bampf’

• Robert Thomas

I’ll steal that.

• Kevin Skipper

It’s copyrighted.

• William – SF

Then it’s called attributed theft.

• Kevin Skipper

My genius is open source. My branded offerings are inimitable and cannot be replicated.

• William – SF

The Tea Party want their royalty check. 😉

• Kevin Skipper

I bet they do! I say the same thing about the stolen history and wealth to which they falsely claim a right. I want my cut!

• Ben Rawner

Who are the leaders of these new movements? It seems the protest movements in the past 15 years have been leaderless and therefor rudderless?

• Kevin Skipper

By design. Sets the dissenters wandering aimlessly in a wilderness of confoundment and cannibalistic rationale.

• Ben Rawner

The guests answer to this question is why they seem to accomplish nothing.

• Kevin Skipper

The line that they tow is known, in aviation, as a holding pattern.

• Kevin Skipper

The International Brotherhood of Zionist Social Programmers called.

They want to commend today’s host for his willingness to push blind anti-protest propaganda.

Wait. The Liberal Nationalist Party called. They want to commend today’s host for refusing to question patriarchal mainstream narratives.

• Nadejda Marques

Much of the work of social movements activity takes place beneath the radar of various media, does a successful social movement need to grab media attention?

• Kevin Skipper

Why isn’t Mark Anthony Johnson’s name on the billboard? His coonery is VITAL to this B.S. stage-show.

• Kevin Skipper

Wow. He’s still talking. I wonder if he knows that the racists for whom he’s advocating didn’t even bother to post his name on the show’s heading.

Partnering with police to help improve black communities is like partnering with the overseer to improve conditions on the plantation. It doesn’t change the basis of slavery.
    Fear stories of the LAPD. Tired. Been that way since the beginning.
    Bail reform. Doesn’t address police targeting people of color in the first place.

• Kevin Skipper

I found some footage of Eric Westervelt’s TV journalism for MSNBSea.
    https://youtu.be/lMePJM86Ueo
    same uncompromising journalistic integrity.

I’m really, really proud that my two favorite hosts sat this one out.

• Robert Thomas

The real leaders of new movements that are ultimately successful commence their efforts by getting elected to their school board.

• Kevin Skipper

Or by paying their dues to SAG and/or AFTRA.

• Robert Thomas

Yeah. That’s what got Patty Duke elected U.S. president.

• William – SF

And a tip of the hat to Senator Al Franken … and his recent performance in the Gorsuch mutton bustin’ exposing Supreme Court wink-wink-nod of a nomination process.

• Kevin Skipper

“An air of crisis and conflictation!?!?” Ms Coulter is on that Ol’ Pots & Kettles circuit.

• Noelle

they stole their playbook back. Um, OK.

• William – SF

Tea Party- egotism, hubris, and nonsense … co-opting, and opining on their wisdom and uniqueness … Trump needs to send them a royalty!

• Noelle

isn’t freedom works an astroturf movement?

• Kevin Skipper

Westervelt. Mark my words, I’ll have this narrative deconstructed an explained to each commenter on this board before Seder supper. Check your watch. Sundown is 7:38 PST. What’s your time zone?

• Robert Thomas

I want to know who made that “JOIN THE CONVERSATION” sign for that Pepsi ad. Now THAT’S activism.

• Kevin Skipper

True.

“BUUUURP!!!”

• Kevin Skipper

Reload your page.

Read the posts at the bottom of the comment board.

-banned blurbs project-

• Curious

The left does not protest. It loots, riots and attacks.

• jake3_14

Kevin Skipper is a sock puppet for Mercer’s Cambridge Analytics, designed to troll sites like these to spew tired corporate-sponsored FUD. Code phrases like “crisis actors” give him/her away.

• Kevin Skipper

If that’s the case, then you should be able to provide a coherent rebuttal to my points without resorting to baseless ad hominem attacks.

That being said, if my commentary strikes you as a good fit for analytics, please, insult away. Perhaps you can toss in some contact info or references as to exactly which sock puppet positions MCA wishes to fill.

• jake3_14

I’m surprised that Mark-Anthony Johnson never mentioned one of the key legal shields that CA police use for their thuggery: the CA POBOR (Police Bill of Rights). It needs to be repealed before the public can hold police accountable.

• jake3_14

I’m absolutely astonished that none of the guests talked about the role of social media in protest and counter-protest, e.g., Robert Mercer’s Cambridge Analytics right-wing weaponization of Facebook, creation of sockpuppet networks and disinformation web sites. This is an information war, and the good guys are losing: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-the-information-war-is-real-and-were-losing-it/

• Kevin Skipper

The losers refuse to divest from Twitter. Go figure.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor