FBI Director James Comey (L) speaks as National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers listens during the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence hearing on Russian actions during the 2016 election campaign on March 20, 2017 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.

FBI Director James Comey testified during House Intelligence Committee hearings Monday that his agency has for months been investigating Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election and possible coordination between the Kremlin and the Trump campaign. Comey also told the committee that after looking “carefully inside the FBI” he had no evidence to support President Trump’s allegation that President Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. We review the proceedings and discuss the questions remaining.

Guests:
Ryan Lizza, Washington correspondent, The New Yorker

• Ford

The FBI? Isn’t that the organization that spied on American dissidents under COINTELPRO in the 1970’s and 1980’s and 1990’s?
    Aren’t the FBI the ones who egged on moronic Islamists in the 1990’s and 2000’s and 2010’s to do really stupid things which they then called terròrism, even going so far in 1993 to provide the WTC perps with a bòmb?
    Didn’t they also confiscate all of the security camera footage at the Pentegon on 9/11 from 5 or 6 locations and then refuse to release anything to the public but a few blurry frames, like they were covering something up? Perhaps covering up why the hole in the building was so very much smaller than a plane?
    Do those FBI crooks have any credibility?
    Let alone moral standing to judge anyone…
    I’m all for law enforcement fighting against criminals like gangs, but when law enforcement engage in criminal activity, we must draw a line.

• John

LOL! infowars. Riiiiight.

• Kevin Skipper

Thank You!

• Ford

Your intellectual cowardice is obvious when you reject all my points because of one URL.

• Kevin Skipper

Sounds like you’re getting the FBI mixed up with the Washington Post.

• William – SF

Whatcha got against Chevys, Paul?

• Robert Thomas

Terry Paul Frank Ford?

• Ford

Whatever that means, it sounds cartoonishly paranoid.

• Ford

What are you talking about? Is that SJW code speak?

• William – SF

It takes little effort to recognize you.

• marte48

J Edgar Hoover is dead.

• Ford

Thank you for demonstrating you’re a know-nothing.

• Gene K.

Quoting infowars is all that anyone needs to know about you. LOL! Keep that tin hat on. Up voting your own posts is pretty desperate of you.

• Ford

Your closed mind and immaturity is all that anyone needs to know about you.

• Gene K.

LOL – 3rd grade responses. How mature of you! Keep going, I am loving your dumb responses.

• Ford

I don’t need to demonstrate your lack of quality as a human being, you’re making it clear and your intellectual cowardice is obvious as well by rejecting all my points because of one URL.

• Robert Thomas

In the several years that I have read comments on this board, in particular three Disqus users have in common made it clear that they are resentful of legal aliens who hold jobs in the Bay Area region; that they are sure that Islam is a religion that is in its essence inimical to the basic precepts of the United States; that they are persuaded that American rather than alien actors were the perpetrators of the calamities of September 11, 2001, along with a number of other idiosyncratic opinions.

In the case of each of these users, there came a time when all of the Disqus posts of the user were deleted from the Disqus boards. In the case of each, soon after the deletion of the user-id’s posts, posts using the id of another of the three began appearing. In no case did posts of any of these users overlap, in time. The user-ids were, in order, “Frank”; “Terry”; “Paul”. The comments of user Paul were deleted a short time ago. These events represent a series of remarkable coincidences.

• Curious

Every intelligence agency has already confirmed there was no wrongdoing. Libs are so desperate.

• Gene K.

LOL. You might want to review the last 8 years and the absurd amounts of venom and BS that Mr. Obama had to endure. You reap what you sow: Time for you snowflake rethuglicans to grin and bear it.

• Curious

Obama was never challenged despite his myriad bald faced lies. He should have been impeached.

• Gene K.

LOL. You mean your Rethuglican controlled congress could not manage an impeachment. Losing sucks eh? Keep digging your hole.

• Ben Rawner

Really? Is that why the FBI said it is investigating? Is that why one of Trump’s cabinet members resigned just days into his presidency? Wake up.

• Curious

Get educated.

• EIDALM

Watching the unraveling of that whole mess of the Russians meddling with the U S election and their connection to Donald Trump makes me feel very sad for us all, the country, and even for Donald Trump himself, as his constant foolish actions and tweets have not helped his own cause or himself.

• EIDALM

I put lots of blame on Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton Neocons driven antagonistic policy toward Russia with meddling in Georgia, Ukraine. and other neighbor as well initiating missiles cites all across the Russian border, as well extreme economic sanctions, with all of that into account, Putin took advantage of the messy U S election to tilt the election toward Donald Trump by hacking the internet and possible other means.which exactly what happened.

• Kevin Skipper

Hey, Wolfpack. I though this was over when they tossed you Flynn as an offering. What more do you want? FBI already said that there’s no way that they’re going to brief us on classified matters. Deal with it and hold journalists to a higher standard that disinformative pandering.

• ES Trader

100 years from now if the Republic still exists historians will rate djt (sic) as the WORST POTUS beyond comparison with any others.

The least qualified, most damage to the office & international respect.

• marte48

Republicans really hate whistle-blowers, don’t they!

• Ford

Not as much as Obama, who wants them killed, or Dick Cheney, who likely did have them killed.

• Robert Thomas

We require that the holder of the office of President of the United States will, in his official capacity, generally confine himself to remarks that may be interpreted with serious regard.

For decades in his public life, President Trump has conducted himself in such a way that no thing he utters can be taken seriously or regarded as a reflection of the truth of matters. There is no indication that he now intends to behave otherwise or that he is even capable of behaving otherwise.

In this sense, the office of President is VACANT. The nation’s executive branch is rudderless; or else, its tiller is in the hands of unidentified persons. We are imperiled.

• William – SF

The smoke is Trump allies being bought by Russian politicians, and Trump benefiting from Russian money.
    If an American President pushes around his NATO allies for the purpose of furthering his business interests, is that considered illegal?

• Curious

So Clinton actually, provably selling influence was fine?

• Ford

William treats politics like intellectual masturbation, because he suffers not at all if his party loses. He’s a pampered white liberal.

• Gene K.

Donald Trump is a traitor. Time to eject him before he ejects all of us.

• Ford

Cry me a river.

• Ben Rawner

When does President Trump’s spurious statements become slander or libel? Don’t we have laws against this kind of nonesense?

• Ford

Obama hacked Merkel, Hollande, and others.
      Obama is an authoritarian Democrat.
      It is quite likely he bugged Trump.

• Curious

He also bugged Sharyl Attkisson and James Rosen.

• ES Trader

If 50 % of your paranoia is 25% within the realm of 5% possibilities, why aren’t you floating face down in the Bay or are you immune from being on FBI & all enforcement agencies list ?

Seems to me your rants are proof of non existance of your conspiracies.

• Curious

The Clintons accused Bush of bugging them. Where were you?

• Curious

So, Comey says they are investigating whether there was any collusion between Trump and Putin in spite of all intelligence agencies saying there was none. He is not, however, investigating who unmasked Flynn even though we know a federal crime was committed.

• Fielding Mellish

Yes “Curious” we should stop all investigations into FlynnTrump and focus on the leaks. Because that’s the real story.
      Yawn ..nice try .

• Curious

Clinton???

• Fielding Mellish

Kellyanne ???

• Laura Stec

@KQEDForum @RyanLizza – FBI DID mention they had info on Trump campaign after they
    came out with the Oct Clinton “new email server letter,” I know because I
    asked on social media why didn’t they also come out with the stuff on
    Trump. Now I think it was because they didn’t want anyone to know they
    were following the story. They wanted to see where it would lead.

• Harteket

I just want to ask whether the western journalists run faster than their hong kong counterpart? We are sure that the white house is interfering the election system. So early to determine Trump as the president give us a feeling that he is the only heir to the crown.
    Don’t believe. You can download the documents with.
    http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/reduce-mp4-file-size.html

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor