State Senator Scott Wiener introduced a bill Wednesday that would allow bars, clubs and restaurants in California to serve alcohol until 4 a.m. The current cutoff time of 2 a.m. has been a longtime source of frustration for nightlife advocates, who say the rules disadvantage San Francisco against cities like New York, Chicago and Las Vegas. But critics of similar bills in the past have expressed concern about noise, and law enforcement officials have said that extended drinking hours could lead to more drunk driving. We discuss the proposed bill and hear from both sides.

New Bill Would Push Last Call for Alcohol Back Two Hours in California 17 February,2017Mina Kim

• Citizen 415

How will the State, cities, counties, communities pay for additional needed law enforcement?

• Kevin Skipper

By attaching the crime to the people of color that this ongoing cultural shift promises to destabilize, displace, and marginalize.

• Kevin Skipper

Hipsters rejoice!!! Soon you’ll be able to keep your beirgartens open 24/7! Non-stop bro-ism, ’round the clock!

• JohanNilsenNagel

Ha ha ha!

• Paul

The more people drink, the more they vomit. Does the bill include a tax for additional vomit clean up?
    And how will Uber drivers get reimbused for vomit clean up in their cars? Did the Wiener Scott think of that?
    Will there be extra clean up funds for projectile vomit that lands on an Uber driver’s person? Will a vomit selfie be sufficient proof?
    Will there be penalties for fraudulent vomit clean up fund claims? How will that be handled?

• Jessica

Mormonn lobbyists at it again! When will they learn that life isn’t one big party!

• Kevin Skipper

I’ve partied with Mormons. They’re actually a pretty fun bunch. More pork than I can stand but otherwise, mellow. Start with them then take it elsewhere a nightcap.

• Beth Grant DeRoos

According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 31% of fatal drunk-driving accidents occur on the weekend, and the highest number of drunk drivers is on the road between midnight and 3 a.m. BUT… most of those were for people who had been drinking at home or a friends place.

• I think this uncontrolled alcohol use creating many problems like accidents. Drunk driving accidents are common now a days. So it must be reduced for a better society. http://www.customthesis.org/

• JohanNilsenNagel

Not to mention dysfunctional relationships, divorce and major health problems.

• EIDALM

As a victim of a drunk derive on the 880 freeway, who was going at very high speed, rear ended my car some years, near send my car out of control, I say that is very stupid idea, we need less alcohol in this society not more specially drunk drivers, whose number will greatly increase for having 2 more hours to consume alcohol and become more drunk and represent far greater danger to other drivers on the road,…

• 1PeterDuMont2STARALLIANCE8

Thank you.

• EIDALM

My own golden rule is never drive a car even after just one sip of wine, because even tiny amount of alcohol can screw up your judgment and affect your driving skills, and makes you more vulnerable to be arrested for suspicion of being driving under the influence if you are stopped by the police or the highway patrol who may smell alcohol on your breath….

Thank you!

• Ben Rawner

I think it a great idea. Major cities from NY to Chicago to Miami allow 4 am cutoff at least on the weekends. Without this statewide change, a city doesn’t even have a choice.

• Paul

Is Wiener scheming to make drunken Americans easier to mug by illegals in the sanctuary city?

• Patricia Wilburn

Allowing people to imbibe until four in the morning and then take to the road, possibly too drunk to drive, just as the commute is starting seems like a terrible idea to me.

Yes.

• JohanNilsenNagel

Not only a terrible idea, it’s criminal.

• curiousKulak

Did anyone address the problem of some locales having different closing times than others?

So, say, SF approves 4am. Then, say, the Bridge & Tunnel crowd (where closing is at 2am) get in their cars to continue the party

City people may use Lyft or transit, but the suburban crowd is much more likely to drive – drunk!

• dj

As a constituent of Scott’s, we were only too glad to get him out of our hair here. Unfortunately, it seems he is moving on to newer and greater things. Like putting drunks out on the street even later!!

• JohanNilsenNagel

Even better, quit drinking. Alcohol is a scourge and poison. Check out alcoholmastery.com if you’d like to quit. Good luck.

• De Blo

May I suggest you migrate to Somalia if you want to live in an alcohol-free society. Alcohol has huge benefits, and teetotaling invariably leads to crime and oppression.

• William – SF

I’m *all* for this! I’m not a drinker, and I love a really well made cocktail, and I love staying up late either dancing or listening to music … as long as there’s a pizza slice as a final chaser. The opposition sounds like they …go to bed early.

• JohanNilsenNagel

Depends on whether or not you live in or near the places that are open till 4am now doesn’t it.

• William – SF

It’s not a need, it’s a luxury I enjoy. When in NYC, we regularly stay up until 4pm. Drinking isn’t a problem, unless one makes it a problem. I’m (mostly) delighted to be a grown-up who knows the difference.

• Kevin Skipper

Stop it William. We know you’s a big ol’ wino. 😉

• William – SF

Cocktails my friend, cocktails. Wine under duress, or …peer pressure. Beer only if it’s *really* hot and they don’t serve …cocktails. Party on!

• William – SF

Lyft gets me anywhere I want to go, safely.

• William – SF

Lots of catastrophizing comments… …however, …
      Yes, get the suspect drivers, whether high or drunk, off the roads.
      Yes, if you’ve got a drinking problem, get help.
      And yes, let the bars serve alcohol until 4 am … I’m never going to solve the world’s problems by 2 am.

• Kevin Skipper

List for me the pizza places that you believe will stay open past 3 am.

• William – SF

Market demand will make it so – it’s that way in NYC. At a minimum, there are places in North Beach, the Castro, and the Upper Sunset that stay open past 2 am to serve …moi and sweetheart.

• Livegreen

After living in New York for over a decade, as much as I personally enjoy drinking out until 4am, here in Oakland it would stretch Police and other first responders past the Brink. Oakland already couldn’t respond to illegal raves at the Ghost Ship, or its high murder & violent crime rates. There is no way OPD & Emergency Services are going to be able to respond to the increased tragedies that will ensue.

(Of course part of this is on the Oakland City Council).

• Kevin Skipper

The bar scene in both SF and Oakland is already highly homogenized. Pretty obvious that the food and drink industries don’t imagine that they will be catering to the populations that are perceived to be connected with these social maladies. Citizens would be silly to think otherwise.

Good point about people driving from place to place dui in the middle of the night. Let’s not forget that there is an element of collective shared consciousness. Why allow commercial interests to encourage undue, disruptive excitement during hours that should be conducive to healthy deep rest in the community?

And those who must be awake and working late night should have as clear a mental environment as possible rather than having to fight the incoherence in the mental atmosphere caused by alcohol.

• NorcalGeek

This is not a problem that needs to be solved. Period !

• cosimo1953

This won’t work well in the nearly-zero-law-enforcement city of San Francisco.

• De Blo

Yes! We need this. CA is so repressive on alcohol.

• De Blo

Please leave the City, at least the Mission, if you hate personal freedom, nightlife, and culture.

• De Blo

Currently San Francisco alcohol policies are so oppressive that we are similar to Provo or Kabul. How about we follow New York or Miami and actually allow individuals some person freedom instead of having a nanny state/ big brother government that oppresses us?

• De Blo

Thank you Senator Scott Wiener. This bill is a great example of why San Franciscans united to elect you as our state senator.

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor