upper waypoint

Peter Orner on 'Living to Read and Reading to Live'

53:07
at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Peter Orner (Photo: Pawul Kruk)

“Stories, both my own and those I’ve taken to heart, make up whoever it is that I’ve become.” So writes author Peter Orner, whose life has always centered around books, both as a writer and as an educator. In his new collection of essays, “Am I Alone Here?: Notes on Living to Read and Reading to Live,” the San Francisco State Professor combines literary reflections with personal memories, delving into theories on literary giants like Kafka and Chekhov, and also exploring his relationship with his deceased father. Orner joins us in-studio to discuss the connections between literature, life, memory and identity.

Reading About Reading About Reading: On Peter Orner’s ‘Am I Alone Here?’ (KQED Arts)

Guests:

Peter Orner, author, "Am I Alone Here?: Notes on Living to Read and Reading to Live"; professor of creative writing, San Francisco State University

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Have We Entered Into a New Cold War Era?KQED Youth Takeover: How Social Media is Changing Political AdvertisingDeath Doula Alua Arthur on How and Why to Prepare for the EndHow to Create Your Own ‘Garden Wonderland’First Trump Criminal Trial Underway in New YorkThe Beauty in Finding ‘Other People’s Words’ in Your OwnWhat the 99 Cents Only Stores Closure Means to CaliforniansBay Area Diaspora Closely Watching India’s Upcoming Electionare u addicted to ur phoneJosé Vadi’s “Chipped” Looks at Life from a Skateboarder’s Lens