Russian president Vladimir Putin

Russian government hacking of the US election was aimed at electing Republican Donald Trump, not just undermining the American electoral system. That’s the assessment of US intelligence officials, according to a report by The Washington Post on Friday. President-elect Trump dismissed the revelations Sunday on Fox News, accusing Democrats of making excuses for losing the election. Meanwhile, an oil executive with close ties to Russia is reportedly Trump’s leading pick for secretary of state.

Russia Sought to Help Trump Win Election, CIA Says 12 December,2016Michael Krasny

Guests:
Michael McFaul, political scientist, Stanford University; director, Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies; former U.S. ambassador to Russia
Mary Louise Kelly, national security correspondent, NPR
Glenn Carle, retired officer and interrogator, CIA
Martin Libicki, distinguished visiting professor, U.S. Naval Academy; author, "Cyberspace in Peace and War"

• Sean Dennehy

The CIA complaining about a foreign government influencing our elections to impose a right wing leader is hilariously ironic and lacks complete self-awareness, considering our history of doing this very thing to Latin America and the Middle East during the Cold War. Maybe we should accept our bitter medicine and see this as a lesson.

• pm05

Except that it is a crime.

• Sean Dennehy

The Russian government is not bound by US law.

• William – SF

Yup, irony abounds…
      – Donnie T filling cabinet posts from Goldman Sachs
      – filling other cabinet positions with Billionaires
      – one of those a CEO of fast-food chains whose salary is over $1 M and justified “for financial security” reasons, yet he fights against the minimum wage, and his companies have had numerous labor violations
      – paying Carrier $7,000,000 to send over 2000 jobs to Mexico
      – selling his Boeing stock in the summer and in December saying 2 planes should be canceled — poof jobs disappear
      – …
      – Chris Christy and Rude-e G. not in his cabinet

• EddieM

Quit believing everything you hear on CNN.

• William – SF

Start believing in facts.

• Sean Dennehy

Like how the US has interfered in the elections of many governments to install right wing dictators?

• William – SF

Yes, absolutely worth recognizing as a fact.

• EddieM

Show me some facts, not just empty words. Please show me something. It’s still an allegations. There is a difference between them. Learn it.

• Jessica

Brought to you by Carl’s Jr!

• William – SF

Doesn’t Christy eat there? Prolly his undoing.

• Another Mike

Probably still Hardee’s in New Jersey.

• chriswinter

You have a point, but the question for today is, which of the two candidates in the election just concluded is more likely to do that sort of damage? I don’t have a good answer. But I do have a firm opinion on which of the two is going to do more damage to these United States, and it isn’t the one who lost.

• Very puritanical of you. But what about the objective outcomes, which could be even more severe?

• jakeleone

How does any of this compare to the Victoria Nuland and Geoffrey Pyatt (U.S. Dipolomats) phone conversation cursing the E.U. and unilaterally deciding who will be the next Ukranian President? Is anything the Russians have done, nearly as bad?

Is this more a case of “It takes one to know one?”.

BTW, that conversation can be heard on You Tube.

• geraldfnord

Well, for one thing, what the Russians were doing in the Ukraine at that point and immediately previously would be at about the same level. Hardly a unilateral decision, such as we used[?] to do in Latin America and the Russians have done in their ‘near abroad’, more working out whom to back on that particular playing field.

• jakeleone

Hardly, the previous Ukranian President was elected, not appointed. BTW, are you aware of the fact that 1/3 of the people in Ukraine speak Russian? That’s a huge swing vote, and likely was the reason for the prior Russia-Friendly leader.

The first act of the new Ukranian Parliament (prior to coup that ousted the Russia-Friendly leader, was to out-law the Russian language). I mean “come on man”, there is basically the same nationalistic back-lash in Ukraine, but because of the fact that the Russian people in Ukraine are 1/3 Russian speaking it led to an inevitable war.

Imagine the U.S. Government outlawed Spanish? I mean there would be an immediate insurgency and guerilla war, I can assure you.

• jakeleone

Please listen to the Victoria Nuland conversation before you say anything. In that conversation, she dismisses several candidates, and asserts that a more militant candidate should instead get in (the one that did). Let’s be clear, a candidate that could have healed that country was dismissed and barred, and a candidate that was ultra-nationalist and fomented war.

• geraldfnord

If the Trump campaign had had even a suspicion of this being done for Clinton, Br-itb-rt would have been screaming ‘KILLARY KGB MOLE SINCE 1964!!!11!1!’. A pity the Clinton campaign acted like sensible, responsible, adults, as that doesn’t appear to be popular these days.

• William – SF

The Russians hacked both the Democratic and Republican National Committees, (DNC and RNC), yet only exposed emails from the DNC, why?
    What do the Russians have on the President Elect?
    Why does the President Elect vehemently deny the RNC was hacked?
    Wouldn’t a reasonable person want to get to the extents and motivations of this egregious act?

What is Donnie T hiding?
    What do the Russians have on Donnie T that they can use to the peril of the U.S?

• geraldfnord

Why would you ever worry about something like that? Surely, if given a choice between his own comfort and the health and safety of the nation Mr Trump won’t even hesitate.

• EddieM

It’s a shame

• pm05

How do you “cope,” “deal,” “respond” to someone was ridiculous as Trump. He lies about everything and anything, so who knows what he will do. He is just too dangerous and petty and vindictive…. I believe 17 agencies over Trump any day; and the country needs to know what Russia did; even if Trump isn’t interested, doesn’t care, or was already told by Putin….

• EddieM

Keep watching CNN

• Chuck

What facts and computer science analysis do we have to substantiate what is thus far best placed in the category of rumor or opinion even if it is called conclusions by the CIA, especially when it come to the opinion on motive. The press just loves to republish rumor as somre sort of investigative reporting.

• geraldfnord

It’s not as if anyone were faulting the Russians for trying, on the scale of what nations do it hardly pegs the immorality meter if it registers at all—I (and, of course, all right-thinking people) fault our faulty immune system, the judgement of that portion who cared about the leaks which, modulo nutty inferences from ‘pizza’ and the like shews poluticians being politicians within expectable norms, and the patriotism of any in the Trump campaign who had strong suspicions—if there were any who did, it’s human not to look gift-horses in the mouth—or (perish the thought!) might have actually encouraged the Russians to interfere.

• optikool

When we have top computer scientists saying there was a problem and the CIA says Russia hacked our elections and even Russia has admitted to hacking our elections, how is it that we can still believe this is not a sham election that should be redone? Also is there any recourse that we can take to correct this current election before December 19th?

• Another Mike

I would like the DNC and John Podesta to be investigated, because their hacked emails helped Donald Trump get elected.

• geraldfnord

Yes, as surely as we arrest burglarised home-owners for having bad locks.

• Another Mike

So, to your mind, the emails were not evidence of campaign skulduggery, but expensive goods that anyone would like to have?

• geraldfnord

The e-mails revealed nothing to which I would have objected in the R.N.C., or for that matter whatever Sanders Central was called. That they could influence voters I credit to the construction of a narrative both within the usual norms of smearing and beyond to the spreading of unusually audacious fables of which ‘pizzagate’ was only an outer edge, and that portion of the public’s not viscerally understanding that the Universe will let you lie as much as you feel like doing.

• William – SF

Did you not vote for Donnie T?
      Pretty sure those that voted for Donnie T got Donnie T elected, even if it was a minority of voters greater in size to Houston and nearing Dubya’s 2004 win.

• Another Mike

I voted for Jill Stein, but her role in the recounts is starting to make me regret that choice.

• Chuck

The focus should be on the security of our voting systems and the security of our internet both of which are beyond the competence of our politicians and members of Congress.

• EddieM

We should look at our own media for furthering any Russian fake stories. They fed it to the corrupt media, and this is what happens. Suck it up buttercup, 8 years was a drop in the hat. NO WAY CROOKED HILLARY SHOULD EVER STEP IN THE WH. Evil woman. ????

• geraldfnord

Let’s see, your lot have ‘snowflake’, ‘buttercup’, ‘SJW’ (which, with a little dyslexia and misspelling…still works), all the misspellings of ‘liberal’…. All seek to trigger derision, but they’re not arguments.

Now, routine use of invective doesn’t prove a side has no good evidence or reasoning to use instead, but it’s not a great sign. Of course, we sometimes use the disgust-provoking ‘Trump supporter’….

As for Trump calling Clinton ‘crooked’, well for anyone who knows him „этo курам на смех.“. There’s a reason he never ran for Mayor of New York, even when he was a Democrat.

• chriswinter

Is that Kyrgyz? Google Translate calls it Kyrgyz, and can’t do much with it.

• geraldfnord

Russian, idiomatic, and it’s River Tam’s safe-phrase in the movie Serenity. (‘Thats for hens to laugh-at.’==’That’s ridiculous.’)

• jakeleone

I have to wonder how does the CIA even know information about the RNC was not leaked? Did the CIA hack the RNC?

• Another Mike

Why did not the American media turn up some of the information that it apparently took Russian hackers to reveal? Was the US media that much in the tank for Hillary?

• William – SF

Because the media didn’t hack the DNC emails?

• Another Mike

The media covered the Democratic primary and Hillary’s campaign. They had access to members of the DNC, Podesta, etc. Surely there was some naive or disaffected worker — let’s say, a Bernie Bro — within the committee who would have been willing to talk to an investigative reporter.

• William – SF

Pretty sure there were no Bernie Bros in the DNC. 😉
          What of the hacked content could the media have pursued?

• Another Mike

Somebody wrote those emails, and somebody read those emails. DNC personnel could have shared either the gist of the emails, or the emails themselves.

• William – SF

Still wouldn’t have changed Bernie or Hillary voter minds.

• Ben Rawner

Did they subvert our democracy or help it? The emails exposed the collusion between the DNC, Media Outlets, and the Clinton campaign to tilt the primaries and then election to her side. Once again the Democratic Party is trying to blame others than themselves for their huge loss.

• Another Mike

Amen, brother.

If I’m ever caught in flagrante, I’m going to blame the intruder, for invading my privacy.

• William – SF

Is anyone surprised the DNC was for Hillary?
      Bernie wasn’t a Democrat but an Independent.
      And the DNC cannot vote!

The Democratic candidate had over 2,800,000 more votes than the Republican candidate, …that’s a win in most countries.

• Bill_Woods

Which countries? No country I can think of uses ‘largest popular vote nationwide’ to determine winner of national election.

• Not likely. Hillary herself has been completely silent on the issue. But you’re right, the internal collusion against Sanders was unforgivable — and in large part cost the Dems the election.

• Another Mike

As with the Khans calling Trump ignorant of the Constitution, and now Jill Stein demanding recounts in states Hillary barely lost, Hillary uses others to make her points.

• William – SF

Who is it that said “Jill Stein is the one who tries to break up your marriage and then shows up to support you in the divorce”?

• Brian Sal Corral

As a retired reservist w/ friends and family still active can this digital assault be considered an act of war. If not where is the digital line, physical lines are easylier to see, this is a new age what are the new parameters?

• Chuck

Isn’t this a continuation of the “kill the messenger” strategy instead of focusing on the truth that was revealed by disclosing the emails that Clinton had failed to produce?

• Another Mike

Under this new doctrine that the group to reveal Clinton wrongdoing is the real villain, I would like to nominate Linda Tripp as the real villain of the Lewinsky scandal.

• Naturally conservatives would like to avoid a “reelection” based on the evidence and put off the outcomes of an investigation of Russian influence until 2020. By then the Trump security state will be in place and the “reforms” that result from an investigation now can and will be used against opponents of the regime.

• Another Mike

If we think the Russians hacked the DNC, the RNC, and Hillary’s campaign chairman, why don’t we think the Russians hacked Hillary’s bathroom email server?

• Chuck

The explanation or motive attributed to Putin’s interference in the election to harm Clinton is retaliation for Clinton doing the same to him. Maybe the lesson is that we should not do to others what we do not want done to us—especially if they are strong enough to do it.

• This isn’t a political game. Our lives are at stake.

• Another Mike

Donald Trump bested 16 competitors to become the GOP nominee. You don’t trust the GOP nominating process to produce someone capable of becoming the President?

• chriswinter

I interpret your comment to mean that Mrs. Clinton interfered in a Russian election to prevent Putin from winning — for that’s what “doing the same to him” means in context.

Perhaps you should explain more clearly what you mean.

• Sean Karlin

To take Mr. McFaul’s sports analogy a step further, athletes have had their olympic medals taken away following allocations of cheating. If Trump won through dubious means then the will of the people was not expressed. Especially when you add the landslide win of popular vote by Clinton.

• Another Mike

I can’t believe that the only problem people are concerned with is the uncovering of Democratic power structure machinations and not the machinations themselves.

• Lawrence Grown

At what point would Trump’s complicity in Russian hacking be a criminal offense?

• Curious

When it ever occurred.

• Lawrence Grown

Would Trump’s publicly inviting Russian intelligence to look for Hillary’s missing emails be called complicity? If the CIA finds more official collusion between Russia and Trump’s people, how would legal action proceed? Is there a possibility that such action would nullify his election or would that cause Congress to initiate impeachment proceedings? Is the only hope of not having Trump inaugurated that the electoral college electors vote otherwise?

• Curious

Wow! You guys are so desperate. Very sad.

• marte48

Russia’s involvement in Syria is obviously their motivation in who is POTUS.

• marte48

Trump said alot of ridiculous things during the campaign, but accusing Hillary and Obama of being the “founders” of ISIL has got to top the list.

• Another Mike

Obama and Clinton were in charge when al-Qaeda in Iraq — weak at the time GWB left office — evolved into the powerful ISIL (Obama’s calling ISIL the “JV” was quite unfortunate.)

• Curious

She and Barry were the founders of ISIS. Simple fact.

• marte48

so, when Bush bombed Iraq (for no good reason) and disbanded the Iraqi (Suni) army – that had nothing to do with the start of “ISIS?”

• Curious

Get informed.

• Robert Thomas

I implore you not to respond to “Curious”. (2)

• Curious

Yep. The left cannot abide dissent, especially since you are bereft of any facts. (2)

• marte48

“ISIS was born out of the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. When U.S. administrators, under Paul Bremer, decided to “de-Baathify” the Iraqi civil and military services, hundreds of thousands of Sunnis formerly loyal to Saddam Hussein were left without a job — and they were mad. Al Qaeda chose to capitalize on their anger and established al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) to wage an insurgency against U.S. troops in Iraq (Saddam was secular, but his intelligence and military supporters were able to make common cause with the jihadis of al Qaeda).”

• turquoisewaters

You don’t know what a fact is.

• Curious

Leftwing hypocrisy knows no bounds.

• William – SF

Right wing ignorance knows no bounds.

• Curious

Irony alert.

• William – SF

Fact alert.

• Curious

Thanks for acknowledging it.

• William – SF

Often it feels like I’m responding to an adolescent mind.

• Robert Thomas

I implore you not to respond to “Curious”.

• Curious

Yep. The left cannot abide dissent, especially since you are bereft of any facts.

• Robert Thomas

No dime that the Koch brothers have ever spent has influenced me in the slightest, to vote for one of their candidates or in any other way that they might prefer. Nothing the Russians or any other state actor has “revealed” has had the slightest influence on my voting.

Whether it’s the influence of some 501(c)(4) group or the shenanigans of Moldovan high school students, the argument I hear about the danger of such influence is about the effect that it has on other, foolish people – never on the influence it has on ME (whomever is alarmed).

The best way to insure that illegitimate revelations or advertisements are discounted – by the stupid “others” – is for the legitimate institutions of the Forth Estate to regain their better reputations for reporting news that is well-supported by evidence rather than by ideology.

Rolling Stone has been justly and expensively chastised for its phony reporting about the University of Virginia – and in the process, given UVA frat boys a decades-long pass for bad behavior. But the New York Times has never similarly suffered for their cheerleading for G.W. Bush’s 2003 war in Iraq. Advocates there including John Burns were chief among those who illegitimately criticized Rolling Stone for the late Michael Hastings’s article “The Runaway General”, reporting on the behavior of Michael Flynn’s best bud General Stanley McChrystal and McChrystal’s staff. Burns and other sycophants of the U.S. general staff were horrified that a newspaper would ever jeopardize their sweet access to regimental dining rooms by actually printing what their reporter saw and heard to the American people.

Maybe if Eastern seaboard journalism can – perhaps as a long overdue tribute to I.F. Stone – make itself again more trustworthy, more people will be willing to accept facts of the events of the world as compiled through reason and sobriety, than they will of assertions concocted in the writer’s parents’ basement.

• Student

Did I mishear the end of this segment? Did Krasny draw it to a close with “On that note of hopelessness,… “, on the subject of what we the people can do? I’ll replay it to see, when the audio gets published.

• Robert Thomas

It’s especially funny to note that one of the chief perpetrators of false assertions about yellowcake uranium moving from Niger to Iraq, John Bolton, has been considered by the Trump transition team for high office, even as they chide their critics for having once believed him.

I expect that the intelligence on the manipulation of some materials acquired through internet snooping, that’s been commented upon by the CIA, has some believable aspect.

We see now, however, how the cynical manipulations of the G.W. Bush administration as it fed made-up-out-of-nothing assertions masquerading as real information to congressional intelligence and security committee members has laid a multi-decade burden on the executive branch’s influence and believability.

• Curious

In other news, CIA confirms Saddam has WMDs.

• Mykuhl

Trump deliberately has obscured the facts concerning any potential Russian-related conflicts of interest by refusing to release his tax returns (not only denying any responsibility to earn Americans’ trust but also saying, with Orwellian flair, that it is none of our business). He spent his time during the campaign advocating a Putin-friendly agenda (possible diplomatic recognition of the illegal annexation of Crimea, possible lifting of sanctions, possibly refusing to honor our NATO treaty obligations) while never missing an opportunity to attack the legitimacy of our democratic institutions (our entire electoral process is “a rigged system”). Now he substitutes his judgement for the consensus opinion of our intel community where things Russian are concerned (about which things Trump always proves reliably hypersensitive) and after weeks of kabuki theater about the State pick we find out that he has all along been leaning toward someone in a longstanding Putin bromance. I’m not alleging that Trump is a one-man fifth column for a hostile foreign power, but based on his track record why should we think anything else?

• John

so much evidence for impeachment… seems pointless to even go through with the inauguration.

• Why is all the focus being put on how the emails were leaked and who did it rather than the content of the emails?!? That seems so much more relevant!! No one is trying to claim that the emails were faked, that’s not a concern. They are real, it’s actual proof that Clinton and her people were guilty of collusion and corruption and inciting violence at trump events… The fact is we, the American ppl, were given a glimpse of truth proving our suspicions were correct about her and her collusion and corruption!!

• jake3_14

Mary Louise Kelly, is flat wrong in claiming that no one wants to re-open the election. Protestors in every state capital, organized by the Progressive Change Campaign Committee (http://boldprogressives.org/), will turn out on Dec. 19, to urge that the Electoral College do just that: respect the majority vote and act to prevent the Cinnamon Hitler and his wrecking crew from taking power: http://www.savedemocracy.org/?source=PCCC

• jake3_14

McFaul’s sports analogy is inept and completely inappropriate. An apt analogy would be in the area of crime. The mango Mussolini and his Russian pals mugged America and are proceeding to beat it senseless. The top cops are all on the take, and the few dogged detectives who want justice for the victim have no support from their bosses.

• CHOPPER MORTON

BOTTOM LINE: A FILTHY , ROTTEN, LYING, CHEATING, CROOKED CORRUPTED CLINTON CASH-COW CRIME CARTEL WAS PREVENTED FROM GETTING ITS “EVIL CLUTCHES” ON THE AMERICAN PRESIDENCY AND WE WERE SAVED! WHO CARES HOW, WHAT, WHEN IT HAPPENED TO WHO DID WHAT!! IT GOING TO BE A MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS 2016 AND GREAT 2017 FOR MANY!

Host

Michael Krasny

Michael Krasny, PhD, has been in broadcast journalism since 1983. He was with ABC in both radio and television and migrated to public broadcasting in 1993. He has been Professor of English at San Francisco State University and also taught at Stanford, the University of San Francisco and the University of California, as well as in the Fulbright International Institutes. A veteran interviewer for the nationally broadcast City Arts and Lectures, he is the author of a number of books, including “Off Mike: A Memoir of Talk Radio and Literary Life” (Stanford University Press) “Spiritual Envy” (New World); “Sound Ideas” (with M.E. Sokolik/ McGraw-Hill); “Let There Be Laughter” (Harper-Collins) as well as the twenty-four lecture series in DVD, audio and book, “Short Story Masterpieces” (The Teaching Company). He has interviewed many of the world’s leading political, cultural, literary, science and technology figures, as well as major figures from the world of entertainment. He is the recipient of many awards and honors including the S.Y. Agnon Medal for Intellectual Achievement; The Eugene Block Award for Human Rights Journalism; the James Madison Freedom of Information Award; the Excellence in Journalism Award from the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association; Career Achievement Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and an award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association. He holds a B.A. (cum laude) and M.A. from Ohio University and a PhD from the University of Wisconsin.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor