Students from the San Francisco Unified School District walked out of classrooms on November 10 to protest the election of Donald Trump.

From a violent attack on a student at a Woodside High School to a Mountain View history teacher placed on leave for drawing parallels between Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler to student walkouts, Bay Area schools are grappling with post-election anxiety and conflict. We’ll discuss how students are navigating turbulent times and what schools can do to foster understanding and civil conversation in the divisive post-election climate.

Related Links:

Guests:
Emily Deruy, senior associate editor covering education, The Atlantic
David Moren, Bay Area Executive Director, Generation Citizen
Alyssa Hoy , 3rd Grade Teacher, Bay View Elementary School in San Pablo

• EIDALM

The climate of divisiveness based on race, national origin, religion, and fear advanced by Donald Trump is unrepresented and it sets the U S 60 years back to it’s pre civil rights era.Donald Trump who has no qualification what so ever to be a president have been from the beginning fear and divisiveness to satisfy his sick ego to become president the country.

• jurgispilis

He is over 35 years of age, and a natural born citizen. Those are the required qualifications.

• EIDALM

He is mentally unstable dishonorable hatemonger creep.

• Curious

Bill Clinton?

• jurgispilis

Yes, I realize he has many many additional qualifications.

• EIDALM

Stephen warIn spite of all of the promises Donald Trump gave about all of the good things he will do for the country, now it is all false promises which is becoming more and more clear from the crowd of racist and Wall Street goons like including Stephen Bannon warmongers and hatemongers like John Bolton and Frank Gaffney as well as bear all from the Wall Street, multinational corporate people who caused the demise of t5he economy and destroyed the American middle class as well including the so many fools who voted for him.

• Noelle

Well, at least the Mountain View history teacher is back in the classroom. You don’t have to agree with him pointing out parallels between 1930s Germany and now, but we need to have discussions in the classroom which are relevant today, not patriotic cheerleading. When history classes are robbed of controversy, students are bored and ask why are we learning this. Students need to learn to listen to varying viewpoints, and learn how to apply critical thinking skills. In this age of social media immediate reactions are rewarded, and the careful weighing of facts are given short shrift. PS Yes, I was a history major!

• Alex Laspesa

The “climate of divisiveness” is not advanced by the man Donald Trump, it’s completely perpetuated and exacerbated by the fear mongering media moguls manipulating the masses!!! If people’s TVs/phones weren’t telling them to be afraid, they wouldn’t be. They just play the 5 worst soundbites from a like over year ago,if not way older, before he was even the nominee. And tell me how you KNOW they are all false promises, he hasn’t even been friggin inaugurated yet!!! The powers that be know he’s anti-establishment, they know he’s not bought and paid for by special interests like everyone else in Washington. And THEY are scared, THEY are terrified of how he may dismantle their power structure. So they are pushing all this hateful rhetoric calling him a racist, a xenophobe, and a misogynist. Do you ppl even know what misogyny means?!? it’s the HATRED of women!!! You seriously think Trump HATES women??? So brian washed it’s really sad. “In the age on information, ignorance is a choice” The elites are pushing these lies and exaggerations in the media to use half the population as their personal pawns to impede Trump and his goals. Have fun with that, I recommend doing some real research tho, Google is straight up censorship, I’ve seen it in my own research, so be aware, you have to question EVERYTHING!!!

• chriswinter

Here’s a little research for you. It’s from the Southern Poverty Law Center, which has documented 437 incidents of harassment in the nine days following the election.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/15/update-more-400-incidents-hateful-harassment-and-intimidation-election

• Curious

SPLC!!!

• chriswinter

Enjoy your right to free speech, “Curious.” The man you admire so much has proposed to change the libel laws so he can sue those who criticize him. And many of his supporters don’t wait for slackened laws before they attack those they dislike, as we see daily.

• Curious

Obama?

• Peter Toner

Such weak trolling. Heh, Obama is now the man you admire so much, nice. You should probably run along before mommy catches you playing on her computer.

• Curious

Obama is an unprecedented disaster.

• Peter Toner

The problem, Alex, is that some of us have listened to what actually came out of Trump’s mouth. Try as you might, it’s pretty hard to spin it. For example, Trump may or may not *be* a misogynist, but are you really going to try to pretend he didn’t make *numerous* misogynistic statements? Oh, BTW, yeah, those Wall street elites look pretty darn scared of Trump. How’s that swamp drainin’ thing working for ya? How so many didn’t see the obvious con…well, too late now.

• Curious

Child abuse. Libs have no shame.

• Terry

It would seem so. Case in point these claims from gays that they fear Trump when obviously he isn’t a homophobe and he opposes Islamism which requires the killing of gays.

• William – SF

Pence! He picked Pence as his VP! Pence! Pence! Pence! Pence! Look up Pence’s stances! Yikes!

Geez Dude, the kool-aid isn’t that good.

• Sean Dennehy

Two alleged attacks on Muslim students by alleged Trump supporters that were widely reported were debunked. Turns out the supposed victims lied. Yet countless videos of BLM protesters physically beating Trump supporters gets zero news coverage. The only climate of divisiveness being advanced here is by Clinton voters and anti-Trump rioters.

• Alex Laspesa

Seriousy!! Liz Wheeler on OAN made a great point about the irony and hypocrisy of the left whining about bullying and hate and discrimination by Trump and his supporters, but ironic the reality is that it’s the ANTI-Trump advocates that are out there physically intimidating and beating ppl for their political views!! They are bullying ppl cause the media tells them they should!!! Is everyone in complete denial or what?!?

• Terry

No wonder. Globalism in its neoliberal (debt enslaving) and neoconservative (military conquest) forms is founded on thuggish behavior. So of course the banker owned media would be happy to protect their thugs and protect Islam the religion of global conquest.

• William – SF

You’re taller than I imagined … that was quite a leap.

• chriswinter

“…shunned, oppressed, and conquered by those we sought to escape!”

I don’t know if you’re experienced enough to recognize the source of this quote. Nor do I know if it’s still available. But if it is, it’s a video game that might appeal to you.

• Peter Toner

You found 2 instances of false Trump-inspired hate crimes (source?) and…therefore all of them are false? Numerous groups that track hate crimes are reporting massive increases (e.g. SPLC). Granted, it’s still early and we should wait for hard data, but I certainly wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand just yet. The FBI has reported non-anecdotally that attacks against Muslims increased 67% in 2015. But, we should ignore all that and instead believe there have been “countless” (source?) videos of BLM protesters beating Trump supporters (source?). Repeating propaganda doesn’t make it true.

• Terry

Can I just state the obvious and point out that the kids do not want to go to class because school work is too hard for their little brains, as is reasoning through political matters, so they will think up any excuse to skip class. Liberals should not claim any victory in letting their kids become delinquents or otherwise act uppity. Doing so shows their poor parenting skills.

• Alex Laspesa

I saw on KRON4 this morning that schools in the Bay Area are actually having lesson plans involving teaching kids that Trump is a racist and sexist….. like really? I’m so sick and sad hearing of all these kids who are scared and frightened about Trump becoming the president, why are you getting your young children involved in adult politics?? Sure dont lie to them, don’t shelter them, but I would wait until they are at least 10-12 before I start teaching them about government and politics, that stuff can be so depressing and can shatter a kid’s dreams. There’s a limit on how much reality we should expose our kids to so they are well adjusted, if they know too much it can affect them. You wouldn’t explain sex to a 6 year old just because it’s true and they ask!!! Let the kids be kids!!!

• Noelle

wow. lots of hyperbole in comments section today.

• William – SF

Day 9 post election: haters hating haters who hate hate. I remember the same thing happening right after Barack Obama was elected … oh wait?

• Peter Toner

Yeah, it was a little noisy after GWB and Obama were elected. Some pretty ugly stuff by the Right in the case of Obama’s election, but still much smaller scale. And, of course, the GOP leadership stating their #1 objective was undermining the president, but still. Of course, neither GWB nor Obama directly insulted and threatened huge segments of the population. Really no comparison to now. Oh wait, you were trying to be sarcastic (emphasis on “trying”).

• William – SF

And sometimes meaning gets lost in sarcasm …

For the benefit of clarity…
          … in responding to “lots of hyperbole in comments section today”, I’m saying that the hateful comments by comment haters, made here, are hating those that protest hate because those protesters hate hate espoused and endorsed by Donnie, the President elect.

No one was protesting hate after Obama’s elections, because Obama’s campaigns didn’t malign voters. Oy!

• Curious

Of course Obama did.

• William – SF

Of course your delusional.
            How’s that hate working for you?

• Curious

Bitter bible gun-clingers?

• William – SF

Look up the full quote…
            It’s an observation, not an indictment.

What else?

• Peter Toner

Ah, now I don’t not not not see. 🙂

• Curious

Obama called Americans who disagreed with him the “enemy.”

• Peter Toner

Source?

• Curious

Obama.

• Terry

Apparently in the classrooms as well. Rationality is being attacked by the neoconservative Democrats and their racist pawns.

• Noelle

Shout out to 9th grade student Maddie Johnson! Thanks for interviewing her.

• Terry

Teachers are supposed to encourage intellectual development and emotional maturation. If teachers are instead manipulating kids’ emotions and injecting irrationality for political propaganda reasons, that would be professional malfeasance and a firing offense, even if it is widespread in some parts of the USA like the bay area.

• De Blo

Conservative religious movements such as Islamism are certainly one of the world’s greatest threats. As the most conservative major religion, Islam is particularly dangerous. Regarding Trump’s homophobia, you may be right. However, his running mate Mike Pence is certainly a virulent homophobe who opposes marriage and the rights of American families. Also, Trump has been strongly considering appointing or obeying numerous homophobic hatemongers. While Trump himself may not be a homophobe (or a racist for that matter, his personal beliefs are somewhat irrelevant. The question is how will he govern. Trump is particularly inconsistent, wimpy, and dishonest. He changes based on what is popular and may have no real beliefs other than narcissism. Trump is the wimpiest, most thin-skinned politician and he does not seem to have a spine.

• Terry

Let’s wait and see.
        Pence is just the VP.

• Noelle

Yeah, what happened to civics education??

• Terry

The bankers are afraid of that, as are the crooked loyalists thereto like Hillary.

• De Blo

Ever student and their parents should have their immigration status checked at the time they enroll in school. All of those who are not here legally should then be immediately deported. If this is not already happening, then we need to push our officials to make sure this policy is implemented immediately. No illegal alien child or child of illegal aliens should be allowed into our schools.

• Cody Landwehr

Why are immigration law violations of the parents more severe than other law violations? Should you ban kids from entering public school if they have a parent who was speeding? Who was caught stealing? Who was a drunk driver? This focus on immigration over other issues is what makes people think there may be some racial bias involved.

• De Blo

Immigration status determines whether a person has a right to be in this country at all or whether they should be in their home country. Other crimes are not related to presence in our country. Without exception, anyone who is an illegal alien should not be in America at all. Every nation has a fundamental right to control its borders and determine who enters. Race is not an issue; immigration laws treat Norwegians, Canadians, and Australians the same as they affect Mexicans, Nigerians, and Chinese. It IS true that immigration laws, quite unlike laws affecting Americans, can appropriately make distinctions favoring specific regions, nations, religions, etc.

• Alex Laspesa

Can ppl stop being lazy and saying they’re scared due to rhetoric like Trump saying he “wants to ban all Muslims” he NEVER SAID THAT!!! Immediately following the San Bernardino attacks, he made a statement, once, asking to put a hold on immigration from countries where known terrorists are coming from, until we figure out what’s going on…. He said nothing about deporting muslims in America, EVER. He said nothing about banning muslims, banning muslim immigration, none of that. He called for a pause on immigration to investigate the threat. Why did that get him labeled as a racist, a xenophobe, and a bigot?? Because the media misconstrues everything he says to confuse us!!!

• Terry

In the service of the 1%, the establishment media enslaves the minds of the 99%, as they always have and which gives media people like Mina Kim great pleasure.

• Cody Landwehr

I’ve spoken with many middle school teachers. They are pretty unanimous that Trump’s behavior, statements, & style would be totally unacceptable in the classroom or recess.

He’s an almost perfect example of a bully. Teachers are constantly trying to stop bullying, as they should.

• Terry

So you think Hillary gloating about Gaddafi’s murder was acceptable?

• Peter Toner

With all due respect, whatever are you talking about? Islamist views about gays? I’m pretty sure Cody wasn’t talking about that. Are trying to somehow say that Clinton agrees with such views? (Seriously?) Gloating about Gaddafi? I’ll go one better: HRC was pretty proud about her involvement in taking out Bin Laden. And, that represents “bullying” to you? I’d say you’re grasping at straws, but that’s too generous.

• Curious

How about all of the physical attacks on Trump supports by the left? The rioting and looting? Do you think Bill Clinton – serial sexual predator and perjuror- is a positive role model? How about liar and thief Hillary, who violated the Espionage Act and sold access to government favors?

• De Blo

Civics education is one of the most important reasons we have public schools. It is essential for uniting all Americans. I hope at a minimum we would be teaching students that their decisions as voters and community members should be based on the issues and policy positions, not on appearance, demographics, or advertisements. Our key values – separation of religion and state, freedom of speech, equality without respect for sex, race, and sexual orientation, rule of law, the right to vote, etc. are essential. As one of the guests state, teaching civics skills and principles is essential.

• Terry

All those values are opposed by Islamism.

• De Blo

Right, which why we teach American values of separation of religion and state (i.e., the first amendment) in our schools.

• turquoisewaters

And by many right-wingers.

• Robert Thomas

As a middle school student in November of 1972, I had followed the horrific behavior of the Republican Party as it prepared to re-elect Richard Nixon, which happened even though the monstrous event of the break-in of the DNC headquarters had been revealed the previous June, five months BEFORE the election, during which intervening period the perpetrators’ connection to the CREEP was well understood and when E. Howard Hunt and G. Gordon Liddy had already been indicted.

The vast majority of my schoolmates echoed their parents’ appreciation of Richard Nixon and this was the most prominent view of our faculty members as well.

People were absolutely LIVID when I dared to bring up any of these facts in such venues as our social studies class; I was called names and my patriotism was questioned by both ignorant kids AND adults who should have known better.

What goes around…

• William – SF

Wow, I had nearly an identical experience.

In my classroom, three of us endorsed McGovern, the remaining 40+ students stood firmly aside Nixon, a natural position in the military town I grew up in.

• Robert Thomas

Doesn’t it sort of bring back fond memories of youth?

The Senate hearings began in the following Spring, in 1973. I was glued to them, in real time. It was the first thing that ever got me to get up early to look at TV, before having to leave for school. Very quickly, the more righteous Nixon defenders muted their jeering. By the end of the ’72-’73 school year, the table-turning was well underway.

• William – SF

The hearings were riveting. The integrity of investigation happening real time felt reassuring, but my concerns that parts of my government could be compromised as confirmed by Nixon’s malfeasance suffocated any sense that I read him correctly.

Donnie feels as insecure, narcissistic, and vindictive as Nixon, while being infinitely less intelligent, yet vastly more persuasive… to some.

• Robert Thomas

Yes, yes, yes.

• Curious

Hillary Clinton makes Nixon look like Mother Theresa.

• 1PeterDuMont2STARALLIANCE8

Schools and teachers are advised of an online resource that may be particularly useful: an exposition of “Highest Civic Ideals — Good Will Wisdom Values for All.” On the same site, http://www.STARALLIANCE.org, is a page entitled “The Vocabulary of Peace.”

• Hi Mina, we enjoyed your program today. In response, I wanted to share that the standards aligned resources in Share My Lesson’s Post-Election Collection may help teachers find a positive approach to covering the values of democracy during this post-election time. https://sharemylesson.com/post-election. The PBS Election Collection is a great resource as well.

Host

Mina Kim

Mina Kim is KQED News’ evening anchor and the Friday host of Forum. She reports on a wide range of issues affecting the Bay Area and interviews newsmakers, local leaders and innovators.

Mina started her career in public radio at KQED as an intern with Pacific Time. When the station began expanding its local news coverage in 2010, she became a general assignment reporter, then health reporter for The California Report. Mina’s award-winning stories have included on-the-scene reporting of the 2014 Napa earthquake and a series on gun violence in Oakland.

Her work has been recognized by the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.

Mina grew up in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Oak Park, CA. She lives in Napa.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor