Characters from "Inside Out"

When Pete Docter’s daughter turned 11, he noticed she turned from a “happy, goofy” girl into a “quiet and more reclusive” one. That shift into teenhood became the basis of his animated film, “Inside Out,” which is nominated for two Academy Awards. The movie goes inside the colorful mind of a young girl and introduces us to her emotions as she struggles with her new life in San Francisco. Docter talks about being hired as the third animator at Pixar when it was still a fledgling company and what inspired his films like “Monsters, Inc.” and “Up.”

Pete Docter, animator, Pixar; director, "Monsters, Inc," "Up" and "Inside Out," which is nominated for an Academy Award

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Is it my imagination or do Pixar movies have more single mothers in them?

• Robert Thomas

It’s astonishing to me how the vastly, enormously complex mechanisms that actually manipulate the quaternions that represent every pixel in modern computationally-assisted animated shorts and features are now available for exploitation at the cost of mere dimes.

I participated in making Reality Engines and discrete cache coherent multiprocessors for Silicon Graphics, Inc. in the 1990s for such customers as Pixar and Dreamworks. Rapidly, these technologies escaped SGI (and Evans and Sutherland and a half-dozen other firms) to the detriment of those companies but enormously to the advantage of the creative storytellers that now delight children and adults, allowing artists to create visual objects with near transparency to the tools’ underlying complexity during manipulation of visual images. It amounts to an entirely modern artistic medium.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor