An animation of element 117

Move over flerovium, there are four new elements in the periodic table. The yet-to-be-named elements complete the periodic table’s seventh row. Three of the elements were discovered by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in collaboration with other laboratories. Forum discusses the significance of the new elements and take suggestions on what should they be named.

Mark Stoyer, nuclear chemist, Lawrence Livermore Labs

• Ralph

Lawrence Livermore scientists were involved in the invention of nanothermite, which is an explosive form of Thermite that was used to bring down the Twin Towers and possibly WTC building 7.
    Particles of unexploded nanothermite were consistently found in multiple samples of WTC dust taken from different people.

• Bill_Woods

Different number of protons means different number of electrons in an atom, which means different chemistry.

Great Topic ,Please ask your guest about the two elements named after U S cities ,and the only one named after U S State .and why the later one is the only one sold by the U S government.

• Ben Rawner

When are they going to build stable elements? Most of these new elements only last a moment or two, but what about new elements that have novel properties that are also stable.

You may want to ask your guest why do we have elements all together…..Fermions obey the Pauli exclusion principle.

• Jon Latimer

Bare with me here, because I’m something of a skeptic, but in the 90’s a physicist named Robert Lazar claimed he had worked for the US government on advanced propulsion technologies using a stable form of element 115 as a fuel source. His description of the element and it’s properties now appear to be at least theorectically plausible. How close are we to having a stable form of 115, what is involved, and does the cofirmation of this element’s existence confirm anything about Lazar’s claims.

• Looks interesting. Would like to listen to the podcast, but link comes up with an error. Hope the podcast becomes available as my inquiring mind awaits. I love KQED Forum’s library of learning.

• Robert Thomas

Ach! I’m sorry I missed this segment.

Will element 113 (Ununtrium; eka-thalium) become Nipponium? Or Rikenium?

I vote for Wakonium in honor of the RIKEN headquarters in Wakō (和光市), Saitama Prefecture.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor