While the country engages in a national conversation about how police interact with the communities they serve, four Bay Area officers join us for a local conversation. We’ll discuss life on the beat, how they see the Black Lives Matter movement and what the biggest challenges are for community-police relations. What have you most wanted to ask a police officer?

Jennifer Cortez, police officer, Richmond Police Department
Lt. Leronne Armstrong, captain, Oakland Police Department
Tracy McCray, housing sergeant, San Francisco Police Department Bayview Police Station
Peter Thoshinsky, retired lieutenant, San Francisco Police Department

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Everyone I know in law enforcement are with our county sheriff department, and all live in our county where we know them on a first name basis and have no problems at all.

Which makes me wonder if living in the city, town where one works plays a role in how the men and women in law enforcement interact with those they serve and how the community interacts with law enforcement.

• Livegreen

I want to thank Oakland officers for their hard work improving our lives. They have helped us evict drug dealers and get our children to school safely. They help investigate minors for sale in the sex trade. They help deal with gangs that try to recruit our kids on their way to school, and are even present in some schools. Thank you to the majority of these good officers, that I know (even if the media does not) do not reflect the few bad officers.

• Doug F

Please ask the officers about the effects on them & the communities of the “don’t be a snitch” culture. And what they can do & have done to overcome it & get cooperation from victims & witnesses.

• jurgispilis

What is your opinion of Prop 47 (written by DA Gascon), whereby severity of certain felony crimes are reduced to misdemeanors?

How do you feel about creative writing efforts in the documenting of crimes, where activities like car theft are reduced to ‘suspicious activity’?

• Kurt thialfad

Does the police department spend an inordinate amount of time and resources on red light runners, towing illegally parked cars, and other “cash cow” activities? Meanwhile real crimes, such as larceny, murder, and rape are given a lower priority because they don’t bring in the money. Any truth in this?

• Doug F

Red-light runners often kill people. Pedestrians & cyclists at a high rate, but also the other driver (with the green) who got hit on the driver’s door. But I take your basic point, that Oakland & SF have (last I saw) the 2 lowest rates among sizable CA cities of felony arrests & convictions.

• Livegreen

Not true in Oakland. They don’t even have a motor unit.

BTW, when they did, they were often patrolling near schools to help slow traffic down. And they would often be in the right place to help prevent crime or arrest criminals when more violent crime happened.

• Skip Conrad

How often does a cop catch a crook, bring him in, do everything right. And then then crook is release either by the DA because he couldn’t be bothered, or a judge because he hasn’t the resources.

Does it feel frustrating when your good work is negated by seemingly irrational action at the top?

• Livegreen

Oakland cannot have community policing if it doesn’t have enough officers! Otherwise all they’re doing is running from 911 call to 911 call, and dealing with the stress that comes along with it.

How do Police Departments help officers deal with the high amounts of stress?

A high stress job involving guns has repercussions for officers & public alike.

• Garth MH

Please comment on the media’s role in reporting suggestive videos that incite protest/violence. I can’t help but notice a lot of this content is acquired and reported with partial facts/information later to be debunked, however, the damage is done. Do you believe that there is a need for greater responsibility by media sources before reporting every suggestive video or photo?

• Another Mike

In my experience, police come to divide the world into us and them, irrespective of race, because we civilians are who they have to arrest all the time.

• laura

Please thank your guests for their work and commitment to the community. I know you must have challenges given the budget cuts to the police department. I send good wishes to all of you every time I drive by the downtown Oakland precinct. Stay safe and thank you again for your good work.

• Stephanie Sholseth Cress

I have volunteered as a clinician with an organization called the West Coast Posttrauma
    Retreat that treats First Responders for the last 12 years and I also work with police officers in my private practice. It is unfortunate that by the time officers seek treatment that they often show symptoms of complex PTSD and other problems that are a direct result of years of exposure to critical incidents. Open support from police departments in valuing peer support, and culturally competent psychotherapists prevents officer suicides and decreases the impact of PTSD. SFPD has a great Behavioral Science Department and OPD has a group of therapist referrals that have been vetted as culturally competent.

• Chris OConnell

Here is an example where it is pretty obvious a cop murdered his girlfriend who was leaving him, but the police clearly covered it up and labelled it a suicide. It shows the extreme impunity and depth of the Blue Wall.

• BLU109

what is the officer’s opinion on the new legislation proposed by gov brown on ccw on campuses in california? Can they weigh in on the proposed benefits of this law?

• disqus_L9kdHXsEcd

Please thank these brave men and women for risking their lives for us every day they hit the streets. Thank them for trying to do such a thankless job. I salute them.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor