LatinoVoting

Hispanics reached a historic milestone in California last week: they are now the Golden State’s largest single ethnic group, according to new U.S. Census estimates. The new data confirms projections made last year by California’s Department of Finance. But while Hispanics make up 39 percent of the state’s population, they still lag when it comes to voter turnout and political clout. We’ll talk about what the demographic shift means for state and national politics.

Guests:
Gary Segura, professor, department of political science at Stanford University and co-founder and principal at Latino Decisions, a polling and research firm.
Hector Barajas, GOP consultant, co-founder of Grow Elect a Republican organization that helps elect Latino candidates across California

• Sean Dennehy

Question for Mr. Barajas: How much damage do you think the majority of Republican presidential candidates not rebuffing Donald Trumps comments about Mexicans is going to have on California GOP’s relationship with Latinos?

• Ben Rawner

Who watches TV anymore? Seniors.

• Chris OConnell

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, House of Cards, etc.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/opinion/how-television-won-the-internet.html?_r=0

• Ben Rawner

All of the shows u are mentioning are available for streaming. Most people under the age of 35 watch their shows online. I would not consider these television because must of the tim, if you pay, you don’t have to watch commercials.

• Chris OConnell

Fair enough. But some people would just say this is what television is evolving into. At any rate, whatever you call it, video programming has flourished incredibly in these early stages of the internet age. And there are very big $$ profits in television these days.

• David

I am always confused when pundits talk about the Latino population in Ca needing material in their own language or have some special ethnic issue bias. Growing up in San Jose my friends and I spoke perfect English and cared about the same issues as everyone else. My community was not a single ethnic issue community.

• fakeanonymousguest

What is a Latino? I think it is an artificial designation. Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Spaniards, Mexicans all have different cultures and have had different immigrant experiences in America. I think even trying to lump them together is somewhat insulting and racist. There is a market for Spanish language content, but to try to draw some political unity from that is ridiculous. They are no more united than “Anglos” or English speakers who split party affiliation according other socio-economic factors. You want to reach Spanish speakers? Promote your agenda on Telemundo, but neither party should assume that all Spanish speakers act in a single voting block.

• Evelyn J. Herrera

I believe the issue of language is one of SUBTLETY. People have language preferences for different contexts. If written material is in one’s preferred language, one is more likely to read and understand it. This is why voting material, mostly distributed in written form, which contains many complex issues, is better served in multiple languages. This increases possibilities of engaging voters from varied backgrounds.

• fakeanonymousguest

Online voting would also make it easier to engage with voters of all backgrounds. If the state won’t pay to translate, enterprising political groups could do this to reach the target audience.

• Or

At least we got a large ethnic group with good food. Think how bad it would be if Norwegians were the largest ethnic group.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor