NepalRubble

On Sunday, California Gov. Jerry Brown announced that he will send a search and rescue team to Nepal to help with relief efforts after Saturday’s devastating earthquake. The 7.8 magnitude quake has claimed the lives of more than 3,700 people and left many more without shelter. We’ll get the latest on the rescue operations, which have been hampered by aftershocks and weather. We’ll also talk to a leader of the Bay Area Nepalese community about efforts to reach and provide support for loved ones.

Guests:
Anil Pandey, chairman Motherland Nepal; Nepal's tourism ambassador for San Francisco
Sanjay Karki, Mercy Corp country director for Nepal
Harold Schapelhouman, fire chief, Menlo Park Fire Protection District; former head of the state and federal Urban Search and Rescue program
Ross Stein, geophysicist, US Geological Survey
Alyssa Ayres, senior fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
Jeff Greenwald, author of 'Shopping for Buddhas: An Adventure in Nepal'

• johnqeniac

This ought to be rich – a book on character and virtue by someone as manifestly virtueless as Brooks. A must listen! – Greg Slater

• ed

This earthquake in Nepal should be a wake up call to remind all of us in the Bay Area that,this kind of magnitude quake on the Hayward fault will bring death and destruction to all of the Bay Area ,specially the East Bay ,where tens of thousands of homes and structures will be severely damage and possible consequences of the the death and injury to thousands of the Bay Area residents….The last time the Hayward fault had a large magnitude earth quake was in the year 1868 ,and it has average cycle of 80 years ,which means a very large destructive earthquake like that one in Nepal on the Hayward fault is way overdue and all of us in the Bay Area should be ready for such event when it happens ,and it will happen ,it is just matter of time…A large earthquake on San Anreas fault can be just as bad or even worse.

• Ben Rawner

Could any of your guests recommend maybe 5 things we need that will make sure that we are prepared for a Bay Area earthquake?

• Mohammad Salman

I just bought a house in San Ramon which was built in 1974. How can I get it retrofitted to modern earthquake standards. I mean who do I contact? Thanks.

• Lance

Seismic contractor is what your looking for to determine if you need to retrofit.

• Mohammad Salman

Thanks Lance.

• Another Mike

Start by reading this book, so you have some idea of the scope of the task, and of things you can do yourself: http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Mind-Earthquake-Country-Completely/dp/0877017719
      Is your house one-story wood frame? Is it sheathed with plywood (under the stucco)? Built on a slab or over a crawlspace? (Check for cripple walls.)

One area of special concern are rooms built over the garage, whose front wall offers little support.

• Mohammad Salman

Book ordered. Thanks. BTW, I wanted to get earthquake insurance for the house and they asked if it had cripple wall. I had no clue. No idea how to find out either. I know it has a crawlspace.

• Another Mike

If you have a crawlspace, then you have cripple walls. At that point you can determine if they are adequately braced, or you (or a contractor) can brace them.

Imagine your house is resting on the side of a box with both ends open. In an earthquake, that box can suddenly flatten, meaning your house has lurched a few feet, and is now off the foundation.

• John Allen

Do any of the guests know the status of the airport at Lukla?

• Another Mike

In the Bay Area, earthquake-resistant buildings are framed with either wood or steel (including reinforced concrete). I cannot picture either being readily available in Nepal. What should they use?

• Ehkzu

Around the Bay Area many thousands of people live in “soft story” housing. This is where the buildings are constructed over garages or carports. In every recent earthquake in California, these are the buildings most prone to collapse.

They can be retrofitted to modern earthquake standards with things like properly fastening the building to the foundation, reinforcing the cripple walls (the space between the bottom of the building and the ground), and by buttressing the garage openings.

However, the problem with earthquakes and the human mind is that there’s no “earthquake season.” They are largely unpredictable–rare and often extremely dangerous. People tend to just put off things like this, and then they’re astonished when they happen.

Some cities are starting to require seismic retrofits of older (pre-1990s) buildings that are vulnerable. This is needed because condo complexes can almost never pass special assessments needed for proper seismic retrofits.

It’s especially hard in towns that mandate some of the units being sold at well below market rates (BMR, or Below Market Rate), as is true here in Palo Alto. Such owners always campaign vigorously against all special assessments, and the city does exactly nothing to help such owners pay for retrofits.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor