Fish for sale at an Albertson's supermarket.

According to a new Associated Press investigation, workers from Myanmar are being brought to Indonesia under the promises of a job, only to end up enslaved aboard illegal fishing boats. Their catch may be finding its way into the supply chains of major U.S. grocery stores like Safeway and Albertsons. We’ll talk about the humanitarian and environmental impacts of these illegal operations, as well as ways to avoid buying slave-caught seafood.

Guests:
Paul Greenberg, journalist and author of "American Catch: The Fight for Our Local Seafood"
Martha Mendoza, reporter for the Associated Press and co-author of the AP investigation of slavery in the seafood industry
Jackie Savitz, vice president of U.S. oceans for Oceana, an international oceans preservation organization

• Frank

I wonder how many slave-made Android phones and iPhones will reach American shores this year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30540538

• Another Mike

Because this was brought up: Calling rock cod (a local fish) “red snapper” is done without deceptive intent. I don’t know when this misnomer was first applied, but it is decades old. Nobody believes they are getting true red snapper, which is a warm water fish.

• Whamadoodle

Man. Just like the big-box stores and sneakers manufacturers that outsource to overseas sweatshops, and Chinese prison laborers. Closing fish processing plants here, to open boutique hotels, and transferring the work to overseas sweatshops that use torturing slave labor, in order to “cut corners.”

We Americans really do that as a way of life, don’t we?

I agree with the guest: I WANT to see working ports, AND hotels, instead of prettified nothing-but-hotels-and-shops shorelines. The former has character, the latter doesn’t. And I do NOT want to save money by outsourcing every single American job to overseas slave labor.

• Carmen King

I find it maddening that there isn’t a local fish market to buy local fish from local fisherman in San Francisco. Fisherman’s wharf if just a place for cruiseships and chain restaurants. I have found a great CSF in San Francisco called Seaforager Seafood that’s run by a great guy named Kirk Lombard. We get weekly fresh fish deliveries ranging from mussels to salmon. The quality is so good that it’s spoiled us. Would love to see his business grow.

• Jimbo McFarland

If you think you’re mad now just wait until we’re all eating soylent green.

• Carmen King

hahahah. Touche, Jimbo. Touche.

• Whamadoodle

I agree–in Vancouver, their fisherman’s wharf on Granville Island allows you to buy salmon straight from the fishing boats. For $20, I’d get a salmon and eat for weeks. Why do we not have more of that here?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Where are the programming geniuses to design an “app” for upc barcodes to tell where and under what conditions food is produced?

As for “not paying enough” – The price of frozen salmon is up $2 and $3 dollars per pound in trader joes.

• joechoj

I hear people wondering how to be more responsible consumers. Please share that shrimp is the absolute most unsustainable type of seafood you can eat. If wild caught, it causes massive habitat destruction and bycatch, each of which affect most other species in the area. If farmed, there are high levels of pollution and overuse of antibiotics.

For the panel: Do free-trade agreements limit the U.S.’s ability to punish bad actors in the international fishing industry?

• Another Mike

Why is shrimp so cheap? It is the cheapest seafood there is.

• joechoj

That’s a good question. I wonder if it has to do with the relative lack of regulation, so it doesn’t accurately reflect the ‘true’ cost of the product, whereas more sustainably managed fisheries are more expensive? Pure speculation.

• MilkisPoison .

There are more problems with eating fish than slave labor:

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor