Lynsey Addario

Lynsey Addario is no stranger to war. The MacArthur Award-winning photographer has covered conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria, embedding herself with soldiers and capturing rare pictures of warlords and civilians caught in the crossfire. She has also survived two kidnappings and a horrific car accident overseas. In her new memoir, “It’s What I Do: A Photographer’s Life of Love and War,” she takes a candid look at her nomadic life and her struggle to find love and motherhood while pursuing a dangerous career.

War Photographer Lynsey Addario 12 February,2015forum

Guests:
Lynsey Addario, Pulitzer Prize-winning war photographer, MacArthur award winner and the author of "It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War." She has worked for the New York Times and National Geographic and covered conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Darfur, Lebanon and the Congo.

• Chris OConnell

We’re all war reporters. Well, of course not, but Bob Simon was one of the great journalists who saw his share of conflict. He was held and tortured by Saddam. He died as a passenger in a livery cab in New York City yesterday. David Halberstam, killed in a car crash. Michael Hastings, ditto.

The war is in the streets. Although (as Steven Pinker and Michael Shermer might note), it has gotten much better at least in the US. There was over 50,000 deaths in 1980 and 33,500 in 2012. Meanwhile, the population grew by over 30%.

• Ben Rawner

Do you use film or did you go digital?

• Bella

Great story, great guest, thanks. Love the description of her family juxtaposed against horrific episodes like Libya. Can you ask Lynsey how she got started in her career? She mentioned “this is what I do, this is who I am” – I’m curious what lead to this career/life.

• Jia-Lin Braswell

Hi Lindsey.

I heard your interview yesterday with Terry Gross on Fresh Air, and I remember you mentioning while being held by the Libyan government, there was a TV you and your colleagues sat around, showing Libyan propaganda. Your colleague Anthony changed the channel to CNN. Once he changed the channel, you all saw your photos on the news and started crying. And you said, you know, “Don’t you have families? How can you do this to us? Just let us call our families and at least say we’re alive.”

Also, I recall you saying that in the middle of the night you all were given one phone call, and you wanted to call your husband, but couldn’t remember his phone number. So you ended up calling the NY Times, letting everyone know you’re okay.

• ninazee

With Twitter, cell phone cameras, instantaneous transmission of images around the world, is the role of a traditional photojournalist still relevant — issues of access notwithstanding??

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor