El Capitan

What’s in a name? Well, it turns out quite a lot — especially if that name belongs in Yosemite, one of the country’s most cherished national parks. Private concessions corporation Delaware North is claiming it owns the trademark for the names of some of the park’s most iconic spots including the Ahwahnee Hotel and Curry Village. The company says a new concessionaire would have to pay them $51 million or change the names.

Controversy Erupts Over Yosemite Naming Rights 31 December,2014forum

Guests:
Robert Gammon, East Bay Express Editor
Lisa Ramsey, Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Law

• Frank

I’ve never visited Ahwahnee Hotel nor Curry Village. I don’t go to national parks to visit concession stands. I must say these are ugly names and only a fool would pay $51 million for them. If park officials think a goofy name is what brings in business, when the park’s visitors are clearly a captive audience, they are either astoundingly stupid or corrupt. It sounds to me like the Delaware North people think they have an inside man who can assure them of a huge payout for something no value whatsoever. If that is the case, the inside man is a parasite and needs to be fired.

• ES Trader

Greed is not always good.

Hope is that public outrage may shame Delaware North to do the right thing for their extortion attempt

• Sarah Quiter

How likely is it that Congress would pass a law that provides that all national parks own the rights to the names of buildings within those parks?

• Alan Dale Brown

People don’t go to Curry Village for the name – or, for that matter, the service. They go because it’s a great place to access the magnificence of Yosemite Valley. I wish “Delaware North” cared enough about the “Delaware North” brand name so they wouldn’t harm it with this nonsense… this has to be terrible publicity for the brand, it makes it look like they’re trying to keep their business via threats rather than superior service.

• DrFinster

Actually people do go to Curry Village for Curry Village. I know families that have been going there for generations. It’s part of the Yosemite tradition.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor