MRI brain scans

An experimental program designed to treat Alzheimer’s patients actually reversed memory loss in some study participants, according to recently published results of a small clinical trial by UCLA and Marin’s Buck Institute on Aging. Researchers called the results encouraging, but require further trials. We’ll talk about that study and other recent developments in Alzheimer’s research.

Guests:
Dale Bredesen, director of the Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research at UCLA, and professor at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Marin, where he was the founding president and CEO
Lennart Mucke, director of the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease
Elizabeth Edgerly, chief program officer for the Alzheimer's Association; head of the Medical and Scientific Advisory Council and runs the annual Researchers Symposium at the Alzheimer's Association

• Robert Lacy-Thompson

How about nicotine? Transdermal patches for instance. Targeting beta amyloid proteins.

• ZAK

Trying to change RNA synthesis to try to make gamma-secretase cleave proteins into shorter–rather than longer strands–is fraught with problems. Far less realistic than effective treatment such as coconut oil, turmeric and diet based therapy. Huperzine A, the Chinese Club Moss, supplement can remove amyloid plaque from the brain, as can sesame seeds. The solution to AD, in my experience as a caregiver, is far simpler than Western Medicine would make it seem.

Coconut oil–the medium chain triglyceride ester–is capable of replacing glucose in the brain. In my experience there is so much greater cognizance in a person taking the amount of coconut oil necessary it appears that it’s possible to reverse memory loss, as well as keep a person alive even with the symptoms of AD in the brain.

Just as the study on Nuns who taught their whole lives found they had all the formation of plaque in the brain but none of the manifested memory loss; it’s entirely possible to prolong a persons life with those symptoms, provided the proper replacement for the binary lacks are provided.

• Diana Alstad

More, please!!! How much coconut oil daily for this effect? (unrefined only?) What’s a good way to get someone to take it? Start with what dose of Huperzine A?

• ZAK

Hi Diana, I have a blog. You can message me or comment on posts preferably to ask me questions: fightingfreeradicalz.wordpress.com/

• Ruth

The topic of incorrectly documenting cause of death is a very large issue. My father died of “bleeding”, according to his death certificate, when he had dementia, Type 2 diabetes, COPD, and other diagnosis. Funding for prevention will only be raised to the height it needs if the documentation and data is entered and counted correctly.

• Litha

My mother was diagnosed with Frontal Temporal Dementia. However, she was always treated with Alzheimers medications. Several years ago she began suffering from seizures. Is there a link between advanced dementia and seizures?

• ZAK

You should check the side effects, which can include seizures, if she is taking the drug Aircept,

• Jean

My mother experienced the same; she was on no meds.

• Maya Tuve

My father had early onset alzheimer’s, which began in his late 40’s. My sister is 50 and I am 45; are we candidates for screening for early detection of the disease? I’ve feared that once the insurance companies are alerted to a possible positive outcome, we might not be candidates for health insurance. Please explain how early detection affects health insurance coverage.

• Bob Fry

Is this a problem now with the Affordable Care Act?

• Pontifikate

With all the threats to the ACA, I don’t blame anyone for being cautious. The Republicans would love for us to go back to before ACA.

• spaceship

Wish people would pronounce Alzheimers correctly, not ol timers.

• Jay Hanson
  • Karl Forsyth

More objective research is always good. But yet again, as in other chronic diseases, I’m hearing a presumption that what is needed is yet more drugs.

There are multiple root causes that drugs don’t address or that may even exacerbate the problem. For example, statin drugs, which are being massively prescribed to ham-handedly lower cholesterol buildup in the arteries, which is actually caused by arterial inflammation, seems to be having the unintended consequence of reducing cholesterol in the brain, which is contributing to dementia and Alzheimer’s.

Micromanaging symptoms with drugs is akin to taping over your car’s oil light when it comes on. All we get for the massive amount of money spent on this kind of “research” is emptier pockets, and core causes continue unabated. See ‘cancer’.

• diwilson

i’ve heard that marijuana is helpful in preventing/treating alzheimers. is there any basis for this?

• DSchrader

Zak – you speak with such confidence – do you hvae research backing up any of these claims? Anecdotal evidence may help point researchers in the right direction – but it is no substitute for research.

For example, you state that Coconut oil is “is capable of replacing glucose in the brain.” You have proof that it even passes the blood brain barrier? How does it work? How much do you need to take…..

It may be true – but don’t make these statements with complete confidence when you have no proof.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor