Bill Cosby

Generations of Americans grew up with Bill Cosby as the wise-cracking, eye-rolling but tender dad during “The Cosby Show’s” eight-year run and years of repeats. Cosby had a rich and varied career before he became known as “America’s Dad.” His performances at San Francisco’s legendary nightclub, hungry i, in the early ’60s helped launch his standup career before he got his big break in 1965 playing an undercover agent in the TV series, “I Spy.” Now he’s 77 years old and still doing standup with his current tour, “Far from Finished.” We talk to Cosby about his career as a comic, his new family comedy slated for 2015 and his thoughts on race and culture today.

Bill Cosby, comedian and actor

• Max Ball

spent many hours of my childhood listening to “Revenge” / “Why is there Air” etc. Learned so much about cadence, tone, and the love of language from that experience – have been able to pay it forward to my kids and my nephew just last week – thank you for all you do to share the power of language and humor.

• ES Trader

U should play the VW piece w/ the SF Hills piece

• K.A.AM

I grew up watching the Cosby Show in Singapore. Under the care of a nanny, I learned about parental love, the hugging and talking to kids all from the show. I also grew to admire the US. But then the Rodney King incident changed that feeling. A lot.

• Chris OConnell

He is a great comedian: I am laughing hard as he asks us to hold while he takes another call. That was great.

• Fay Nissenbaum

A famous comedian said people always cite Richard Pryor as their influence, but even Richard Pryor would tell you that it was Cosby who was his influence and who influenced everyone after.

It really does a dis-service to Cosby’s genius to focus on the Huxtable period. That was when I tuned him out. The great work was well before that, especially when Cosby dominated television with national fame and even a cartoon show, ‘The Cosby Kids’, that evevry one of us kids watched and talked about in school.

• Artie Moffa

I trust Mr. Cosby would have “gotten it right” with the Limo driver/ electrician combo he wanted originally for the Cosby Show. Still, growing up with the Huxtables as written for the actual show, I saw a powerful, understated, beautiful message of wealthy African-Americans. The show did a beautiful job of presenting a wholesome, intelligent,
    sophisticated family that just happened to be Black. I remember specifically an episode where the family spent thousands of dollars at an art auction, and the comedy came out of the mechanics of the auction, not the financial strain it might have caused other sit-com families.

• Robert Thomas

The Huxtables were affluent, rather than wealthy.

That was rather more subversive, I think.

• Another Mike

Growing up in the 1960s in an all-white suburb, listening to Bill Cosby’s bits on records about growing up, about having a wife and children, about everyday experiences, what struck me was that we were all human beings together.

His edgiest joke, rooted in being a dad: “Oh my God, Panthers”

• 1PeterDuMont2STARALLIANCE8

Please ask Mr. Cosby about his PhD thesis, and any comments he might have about the field of Education including interface with comedy.

• mnich13

I have fond memories of his old syndicated radio show which included characters like “The Brown Hornet” (and his sidekick Leroy), and “Captain Owow”.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor