Richard Linklater

For his new film “Boyhood,” director Richard Linklater filmed with the same cast over a 12-year period to tell the story of a boy growing up. It was a risky experiment, but critics are raving about the film, which Slate’s Dana Stevens calls “a gradually unfolding miracle.” We’ll talk to Linklater about “Boyhood,” his career and his unorthodox approach to cinematic storytelling.

Watch the trailer for "Boyhood":

Guests:
Richard Linklater, director of films including "Boyhood," "Before Sunrise," "Bernie" and "Dazed and Confused"

• Hugh Nevin

This is a steal from Michael Apted’s 7-up series; a legendary documentary, far more revealing than anything Linklater could dream of

• trite

Have you seen it yet?

• Hugh Nevin

Have you seen the 7-Up series?

• trite

Indeed. I have them all.

• MARCELO

How could Richard Linklater’s Boyhood be a “steal” from the Michael Apted’s 7-Up series? For starters, Apted’s work is a documentary. Boyhood is a fiction narrative story. And you know who congratulate Linklater for his film? Michael Apted.

• ES Trader

I lost a bet once on a movie scene that I was absolutely certain of.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if our lives had been filmed to see if our memories are accurate or as we wish them !

• LX

I have a 9-year-old and a 14-year-old. Is it a movie suitable for them to watch?

• Ben Rawner

Did you have a back up plan just in case someone died?

• bcowart

Richard, I haven’t heard a reference to one of my favorite movies of yours. “Waking Life” is a film I have a copy of and show to friends here in Berkeley from time to time. In fact, just last week I told some friends about it and we’re going to watch it soon. It ties into my spiritual practice and philosophy quite beautifully. What do you think about that film, in retrospect, now? (Bob, in Berkeley)

• ed

What do you like to get out of your rehearsal time with the actors and how do you structure your shots (shot list? long takes? ). also interested in how you’ve managed to navigate the hollywood studio fundings vs “indie” funding approaches now that studios are more restrictive

• Mark Valentine

Given the vast changes in technology during the 12 years you shot the movie, were there any unique challenges you faced from a filmmaking standpoint?

• ed

also, what’s your experience with the small, HD cameras as a way to stretch your camera budget? Or are you a film only person?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Why would you cast Ethan Hawk again when you used him in your more fictional films? I heart Dazed and Confused but I find the before sunrise ones cloying. Ethan Hawk put s the film closer to the romance stuff and takes away from the documentary air of the latest.

Excellent interview – thank you. I love the easy flow of Richard Linklater’s films (at least, the ones I’ve seen). He cares about the characters, which brings them to life on the screen. And he treats the audience with respect and gives us all an opportunity to process his films with our own intelligence/intuition (like a good book). These are rare qualities in a director or our times. I look forward to seeing it when it comes to Napa.

• Kathleen Iudice

I appreciate Richard Linklater’s approach to film-making. He develops the characters and treats the audience with respect – rare qualities in this day and age of mind-numbingly stupic, slam-dunk movies. We look forward to seeing it when it comes to our neck of the Bay Area.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor