Michael Franti performing with Spearhead.

Long before he reached the top of the charts with “Say Hey” in 2009, Michael Franti was well known in the Bay Area for his eclectic music and social justice activism. Franti and his band Spearhead join us for a live in-studio performance. We’ll also talk to the Oakland-born, Davis-raised artist about his music and politics.

Michael Franti, founder and lead vocalist of Michael Franti & Spearhead

• Rob Blass

Stay Human! That’s great. We have to be human before we can sympathize with all of the other creatures on the planet. Is there a shirt that says “Stay Animal”? Like in the novel [Humans Need Three Hands], we need to strive for understanding and our own social justice, if we are ever going to have justice for wildlife. Spearhead rocks!

• sally

I love that your songs have a great message are fun and my young kids and I can dance to them. Will you be doing any events for young kids? I live in East Bay and would love to take my kids to see you.

I have loved Michael Franti and Spearhead for years and am thrilled that he has become THE favorite of my children who are 4 and 6 as well. Any family-friendly shows in the works?

• Chemist150

Check out Jason Becker from Richmond. He achieved superstar status early in life but ALS put him in wheel chair and he does fund raising events in SF.

He’s still composing with help from his dad. Check out his music and movie.

• Glenn Findley

Michael reminds us that we are all human and love can be the answer, thanks for the positive music.

• Chris OConnell

Great show. At least non-American Exceptionalists are allowed on the show when it is not a straight discussion of foreign policy.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor