Roz Chast

When New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast’s elderly parents started down the slippery slope of dementia and hospital stays, she found herself dealing with difficult emotions, end-of-life paperwork and expensive nursing homes. She channeled her stress into producing a graphic memoir, titled “Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant?”

Roz Chast, author and cartoonist for The New Yorker

• Fay Nissenbaum

I’m laughing

• Another Mike

I remember when Roz was one of many female cartoonists whose work appeared in the National Lampoon. How did that happen, when the Lampoon appeared to be pretty much a boys’ club?

• Debbie Neff McKee

My father is 96…drives himself (well) to the senior center to dance and have lunch daily…still golfs (well)….are we blessed or what? He is in perfect health too! Never even
    been sick! Geeeezzzz

• Fay Nissenbaum

The state caretaker of my two cousins killed them in a state institution last year.

These two cousins in NY were sisters in the 80s who spent their whole lives together, never marrying. They began fighting and senility and pre-alzheimers was likely. One sister, Pauline, had collapsed on the floor unable to get up. She was taken to a state hospital in NY. Three months later, a neighbor reported strange behavior by Tina, the remaining sister. Local police showed up at the house and took her to the same hospital for evaluation. Somehow she knew her sister was there and repeatedly asked for her. She was denied a visit, denied she was there. Several days later, Pauline died. The nurse came in and told Tina – although previously denied – that her sister was dead. Tina was emotionally devastated and died a week later of pneumonia. The system failed them both and killed them. Police should not be making mental health decisions.

• hal gelb

I was floored this AM when I heard Michael Krasny say your dad had been Steve Arkin’s French teacher. I was in school with Steve Arkin. Was your dad George Chast who taught French at Mark Twain Junior High?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor