A Vallejo Police Dept. cruiser.

In the past three years, 10 people have died in police-involved shootings in the city of Vallejo. In 2012 alone, the rate of officer-involved shootings in Vallejo was 38 times the national rate, prompting a call for the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate. Now the city and its police department face a number of civil rights and wrongful death lawsuits. We talk with KQED reporter Alex Emslie and others about the recent surge in deaths and the Vallejo community’s reaction.

Alex Emslie, reporter for KQED News
Dennis Kenney, professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, former police officer in Florida and a former project director for the Police Foundation
Don du Bain, district attorney of Solano County

In Oakland, criminal gangs do the murdering.
    In Vallejo, maybe criminal cops do the murdering? Allegedly, anyway.

• ES Trader

With the recent stories from Albuquerque, the Border Patrol killings of Mexican Nationals on the Mexican side of the border, last year’s shooting of the teen in Santa Rosa, officer involved killings seems to be a National trend.

The Sacramento Bee ran a story a few months ago about a Iraq War vet in Elk Grove that was shot and killed. When I was in San Diego in Sept. 2012, there was a Sheriff’s Deputy shooting, over 20 shots, of an unarmed woman in her car.

The documentary film, ” How To Make Money Selling Drugs” points out that when President Nixon signed a bill to create the D.E.A. in 1973, the trend began in America of para-military style SWAT teams and the financial “bonus” that local law enforcement receives from the federal government for drug busts vs other crimes.

It seems to me that this para-militarization of local police has stimulated an attitude and even attracted inappropriate candidates. A retired Albuquerque officer, in the CBS News video, says that current officers are more prone to resort to deadly force vs other methods.

Officer involved shootings seems to be occurring on a weekly basis in the Bay Area.

• ClarkeJohnston

Our department is running, pretty much, at half capacity. Vallejo has honest, tax-paying and law-abiding citizens. People who behave and do the right thing. People who care about their community and support law enforcement. I met many such …folks during my participation in the Citizen’s Police Academy. But it’s not those folks who present such a difficult challenge to our force. Vallejo also has a large block of residents who commit crime daily, deal drugs large scale, carry firearms wherever they go, have total disrespect for the law, pander in prostitution and car theft . . the list is long. Further, many of our criminals will NOT comply with a lawful command to stop what they’re doing, and allow officers to question them, make an arrest, event free, if necessary. We have many who simply flee, endangering other motorists and residents without concern for the welfare of others. Criminals make choices in life: When discovered, they can influence the course of events by cooperating, not putting up a fight, not providing officers the reason to draw a weapon. By failing to do so, they are writing the bad script that follows, altering the course of events for the worse. Bad choices with the Police, like other choices in life, may lead to bad consequences. Parents fail to teach their kids respect for the officers, often setting bad examples themselves, being poor role models

• Michael Huey

how do you react when one of your officers .engages in excessive force as payback on a 17 year old boy as seen on YouTube?
      that boy wasn’t being violent he wasn’t the danger to anybody, he was scared, don’t tell me that that was the parents fault someone else’s fault that was that officers fault.Everybody I talk to that’s all that YouTube video think that officer needs his head examined.and thank God it probably will be before it’s all over with then we can work on some of these ridiculous laws against police officers right to get away with murder

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor