Award-winning novelist Robert Coover is back with “The Brunist Day of Wrath,” the long-awaited sequel to his 1966 classic, “The Origin of the Brunists,” about a man who survives a coal mine explosion and starts an end-of-the-world cult. Coover joins us to discuss the novel and his writing career so far.

Robert Coover, author and professor emeritus of Literary Arts at Brown University

Speaking of cults, it does seem sometimes that the 1% is a cult. When they aren’t doing mock child sacrifices to the god Moloch at Bohemian Grove, they’re sacrificing poor people around the world to increase profits.

US politicians’ sons are taking top positions in West-friendly oil and gas companies in the new f├áscist-led Ukraine:

CIA and 400 mercenaries from Blackwater now in Ukraine:

• Fyza Parviz

Mr Coover I read your story “The Waitress” in the latest edition of the New Yorker. I was very surprised by the short size of the story. Was it international to write something a page long? Usually at creative writing classes they urge the students to write stories at least 10 pages long.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor