Francine Prose

Nearly 15 years ago, bestselling author Francine Prose spied an intriguing photograph at a museum exhibit. One of the subjects of the photo was a cross-dressing woman named Violette Morris, a lesbian professional auto racer who worked for the Gestapo during WWII. The photo — and Morris’ life story — served as the inspiration for Prose’s new novel, “Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932,” which is told through the eyes of a diverse group of characters against the backdrop of a Parisian nightclub.

Francine Prose, author of "Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932" and of previous books including "Goldengrove," "Reading Like a Writer" and "My New American Life"

long time ago….

• Intriguing concept. Just finishing reading A Moveable Feast again so the timing is good.

• kari

Dear Forum,
    I’m so sick and tired of aging Americans of a certain class (who live in a bubble of ignorance) romanticizing pre-war Paris. Francine Prose sounds like another one of them. She is just encouraging more older pseudo intellectuals from the coasts to come over here and wander around the Left Bank in dorky clothes looking for the old “haunts” of dead people who have been dug up from their graves and paraded about in failed novels and poor attempts at painting for decades now. Please STOP. It’s 2014. Not the 20s or 30s. Even if she’s a successful writer, this topic is extremely middle brow and boring. She’s just appealing to the highest point on the bell curve, the great average.

Paris is NOT just the travel section of the NY Times.

I was disgusted when I heard Mr. Krasny say something like “whatever Paris has become now” and Ms Prose talk about Abercrombie & Fitch.

Neither of you have no idea what you’re talking about. You talk like two middle aged academics visiting Paris on a class trip.

Please, stay over on the Left Bank.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor