Sandra Tsing Loh

At the age of 49, writer and performer Sandra Tsing Loh’s life turned upside down. She had an affair that ended her marriage and her body and moods were changing wildly. In her new memoir “The Madwoman in the Volvo,” Loh chronicles the rollercoaster year leading up to her 50th birthday and the perils and absurdities of trying to juggle work, young kids and elderly parents – all while getting pummeled by menopause. Loh considers herself a member of “Generation Triple-M”: middle-aged moms in menopause. We’ll talk to Loh about her book and the experiences of America’s largest demographic group – middle-aged women.

Sandra Tsing Loh, author of "The Madwoman in the Volvo: My Year of Raging Hormones"

• Mrs. Eccentric

Many women come into their own at age 50 – Marion Cunningham and Julia Child come to mind, yum! Just wanted to say i’m enjoying this show about a person who admits to the deep, abiding messiness of human life. As much as society, culture, media, and family tell us that all of life can be dealt with humanely and rationally (ha! love the image of the adulterous couple dropping the bomb on their spouses in a ‘therapeutic office’ like that’s going to take the edge off), i have to say that in my experience it just ain’t so. Brava to Ms. Loh for taking a deep breath and making her grab for the brass ring – no one else will grab it for you, Cinderella stories to the contrary. Even more adulation for laying it all bare – pain, mess, and more, it conveys something akin to life as it’s actually lived 🙂 Happy Day! steph (52 too)

• victoria s.

I have one word for Ms. Loh – Choice… We all have them and when we make the wrong ones, for whatever reason, menopause and all… you don’t get to blame anyone else. However, you do have to deal with the consequences, menopause or not.

• Debbie Neff McKee

Name the symptom….I had it X 5 …at age 41! Those who have never experienced this DRAMATIC hormone tsunami should not pass judgment….It is a blessing that I had a husband who loved me….he really should have killed me!

• Brian Wilfley

Rather than judgement, or a clever quip about Lawrence of Arabia, I’ll say that Ms Loh’s story fits the fact of my family: Depression went through us like a forrest fire, complete with going to bed for a few years. We’re mostly on the other side (20 years later) but I can’t bring myself to condemn.

• Sherry

I have not done any “Breaking Bad” activities, but I am a 52 year old menopausal woman, and I do very much agree with Ms. Loh’s comments about the way that freedom comes with menopause. Like Ms. Loh, I decided I was no longer going to invest an enormous amount of my time with in-laws who used me for organizing get-togethers, but barely recognized me otherwise. I woke up one morning and realized that my children are grown; we need to have a different relationship — I would no longer answer questions about the laundry. A little thing called the Internet could answer all their questions. I learned the mysteries of laundry because I had small children who needed laundry done, but I am not interested in discussing laundry, appliances, doctor appointments, or how to unclog a drain…and I don’t have to be interested any more! I am now reading a book a week; staring at the birds in the backyard trees, spending time with colleagues at work, re-falling in love with my husband… I adore the freedom of my new life. Ms. Loh went through a different journey than I — but I think the core of our experience is the same: menopause allows us the freedom to get back to ourselves.

• thucy

I think it’s a lot healthier for your kids that way, too. Hard to believe they bug you about laundry. The directions are on the box, ferChrissakes. Good for you… and them!

• Ana

I am 27 years old and I can relate to a lot of “craziness” Ms. Loh is expressing- minus the hot flashes and hormonal change. The expectations for women are crazy. I’m looking forward to reading Ms. Loh’s book.

• K.A.AM

I remember my mother going through menopause. My parents were divorcing then. As a teenager, the whole experience was hell. I often think about just how my “fate” would be when I go through menopause. That is, until now. Strange, now I look forward to it. I suspect listening to Sandra Tsing Loh has something to do with it.

• David

MMM. i get it but i wonder if one of the M’s is not a false cause for parallel changes (e.g., divorce). after all, if menopause figures into the explosion or implosion of one’s life, then there would be more 40+ year old women running off to Burning Man or the equivalent.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor