Sen. Elizabeth Warren

We talk with Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, author of “A Fighting Chance,” her tenth book. She was as an assistant to President Barack Obama and worked on the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. We’ll talk to her about recently announced plan to help student borrowers, and about why she believes that the government has abandoned the middle class.

Elizabeth Warren, U.S. senator (D-Mass) and author of "A Fighting Chance"

So the vampires had it right all along? [Sorry, had to be the first with that dumb joke].

• Chemist150

Everyone thinking what I’m thinking? Regular mandatory blood donation
    by the youth. Adults will get “replacement” blood from the youth stock
    when they donate blood for regular medical needs…

GDF11 is upstream from ALK4 and ALK5 known to influence myocyte and myotube formation from myoblasts and to influence muscle hypertrophy around the heart. There are drugs that do this.

• ES Trader

see NYTimes article from Sunday, 5/04

• James Ivey

I’ve been listening to Ms. Warren for years. I wish she was our President.

• Ben Rawner

Warren for president.

• ES Trader

I admire Sen Warren’s courage in seeking justice for the average citizen but I cant help but wonder 2 things

1) Will she have to compromise w/ other Senators too much in order to support her bills in the long run that results in status quo

2) When the time comes that the middle class is in so much peril to affect the upper classes, will Republicans at that point voluntarily agree to reforms to avoid major social turmoil? Isn’t that how the free market system should operate?

• Parisa

One of the most helpful things for someone like me ($150K in student loans!) is to limit the effects of student loan debt on my otherwise-great credit. The other would be to truly help those who serve in public service and give them a loan forgiveness for the full time they serve the public (not just the time they have consolidated loans and work for a non-profit).

• Lance

More people need to vote during the off year elections to make change.

Companies that are 100% for profit only are inherently incompatible with democracy and freedom. This has be clear since the time of Mussolini. People also forget the privatization was an innovation of the Nazis. In point of fact, the 1% in the USA is operating as a kind of fascist junta.

Corporate America is one big cartel: [requires flash]

• Sumit

Senator Warren, whats your opinion on Thomas Piketty’s “Capital in the twenty-first Century” ? As Economist summaries, world wars and depression disrupted concentration of wealth and income amongst riches. And reasons which triggered start of egalitarian fashion of distribution of wealth were high taxes, inflation, bankruptcies and welfare states, the same reasons now we get away from to safe the common people. Do you think only war can fix this situation again ?

• John

Revenues to the federal government are a tax. Excessive interest charged on student loans are an excessive tax. Student loan interest is a regressive tax on those least able to pay.

• geraldfnord

I wish someone, and Sen. Warren would be just the person, would point out that the wealthy get more from government than the rest of us in the form of the creation of forms of property that couldn’t exist in the absence of a State (‘i.p.’, land tenure at a distance), enforcement of contracts that matter much more to the rich and usually, magically! , tend to favour them, and protection of their property even though it be heaped up thousands of times higher than would be possible in the State of Nature for all but a very few.

Or, more elegantly as befitted a wiser man than I be:

[…] the accumulation therefore of Property in such a Society [one previously ignorant of most property] , and its Security to Individuals in every Society [emphasis mine], must be an Effect of the Protection afforded to it by the joint Strength of the Society, in the Execution of its Laws. Private Property therefore is a Creature of Society, and is subject to the Calls of that Society, whenever its Necessities shall require it, even to its last Farthing [fraction of a cent]; its Contributions therefore to the public Exigencies are not to be considered as conferring a Benefit on the Publick, entitling the Contributors to the Distinctions of Honour and Power, but as the Return of an Obligation previously received, or the Payment of a just Debt.

I’m not as radical as Ben Franklin in this, as I think some property were natural, but anyone who holds Wm Gates III’s ten billionth (with many more to go) dollar were qualitatively the same as a tramp’s last dollar (in importance, in power, in ability to be retained without the State) is speaking religiously at best…and just try to enforce copyright without the threat of State violence.

• Pontifikate

I think people like Sen. Warren and Robert Reich have a unique ability to explain the ramifications of public policy to a non-wonky public. For this reason among many, I wish she would run.

• rematrav

Why is the federal government even involved in student loans? Can’t the private sector handle student loans?

Teaching college students that the government will rescue them from problems that they themselves created when they signed loan documents doesn’t strike me as a brilliant idea. And aren’t student loans forgiven after 10 or 20 years, depending on public or private employment, anyway?

“Profits off the backs’ of our children”. A system rigged by the evil villain; corporate greed and their lobbyists. These are progressive bumper stickers and cliches. She’s a populist extraordinaire and the soft-headed mob looking for an easy scapegoat (i.e., corporate greed and wall street) loves it; just read most comments here. But what about sick and disabled veterans and non-veterans, the homeless, school children, physically and mentally and emotionally disabled people of all ages, global warming and the envirornment, our aging infrastructure, national defense, public health, etc., etc., etc. These groups and many others also need taxpayer help. The cruel, non-populist truth is that there will always be more people that legitimately need help than money to satisfy those needs even if we close every corporate tax loophole. Let’s figure out how much money we have to spend and work backward from that number. That means prioritizing everyone’s needs. Uncle Sam now spends $1,000 per month for every man, woman and child in the U.S. and therefore has a $17 Trillion debt.

• White Elephant

thank you Elizabeth Warren. we love you

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor