Officials from Ukraine, the United States, the European Union and Russia have taken the first steps toward a pact aimed at de-escalating tensions between Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists. But separatist leaders have given no indication they will sign the deal, and continue to call for the removal of the government in Kiev. We look at the latest news from the region, and examine what this means for the rest of the world.

Andrew Kramer, reporter for The New York Times currently in Ukraine
Stephen Cohen, professor emeritus of Russian studies and politics at New York University and Princeton University, contributing editor to The Nation and author of books including "Soviet Fates and Lost Alternatives"

• Beth Grant DeRoos

Am I the only one who believes Americans are worn out with spending billions of American tax dollars trying to rescue people in other countries while here at home our own countries needs are not being met? Ukraine is far closer to all the other European countries, than the USA. Let them rescue the Ukrainians.

US Establishment Media Neglects Neo-Nazi Role in Ukraine Uprising

• ES Trader

Prof Cohen’s assertion that Putin’s comments was misinterpreted is very interesting and enlightening. I am no fan of Putin nor do I trust him but it isn’t shocking nor the first time that the U.S. government attempted to demonize and misinform the public about an enemy. Remember the Iraqi soldiers tossing up in the air and bayoneting Kuwaiti newborns as asserted by a young Arab girl that turned out to be the daughter of the ambassador ? Or how about the Bush Administration’s allegations on Saddam’s WMD’s and the satellite evidence?

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor