From Chinatown’s Mah Jong houses, to the regulars on the 5th floor of the main public library, to the bison in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco is rich with communities and stories. Illustrator Wendy MacNaughton spent three years uncovering the city’s unsung and often hidden subcultures. She joins us to talk about her book, “Meanwhile in San Francisco: The City in its Own Words.” We’ll talk to her about the San Francisco she sees and we want to hear from you: tell us about your favorite hidden Bay Area communities.

A Look Inside 'Meanwhile in San Francisco'

The San Francisco Main Library

5th and 6th Streets

Civic Center Farmer's Market

The Dolphin Club

The Outer Sunset

Images published with permission from "Meanwhile in San Francisco," Wendy McNaughton, Chronicle Books (2014)

Wendy MacNaughton, illustrator and author of "Meanwhile in San Francisco: The City in its Own Words"

• Fay Nissenbaum

How about oddments like the disc golf subculture in Golden Gate Park? The picnic tables in the middle of mucky when wet Marx Meadow form the gathering point. On any day, you can join mostly young men toting duffle bags of plastic flying discs (frisbees to me), and 12 packs of beer. Whoop it up and fling your discs down the trail. Looks like fun to me as I do a much more sedate walk under the trees.. .

• Linda Lau

San Francisco bay area is home to a large dragon boating community, over 800 paddlers young and old! They practice every sat at lake merced. We have the largest dragon boat festival in the u.s. Off of treasure island on September 20-21, filled w cultural performances and crafts too.

• Robert Thomas

I very much enjoyed a fleeting period from the mid eighties typified by a transcendent evening at much-missed Wolfgang’s when Alternative Polka mega-bands Polkacide and Rotondi dueled all night long with David Lindley and El Rayo-X.

Never so much hot squeezing.

• Hi- Have you been to what was The Presidio Pet Cemetery (they’re building a highway ramp directly over it at present), as well as Pet’s Rest Cemetery in Colma?

You can catch a bunch of pictures on them on my Flickr feed…

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor