Jay Blakesberg has been photographing rock concerts since he was a teen in the 1970s, eventually going on to document the heyday of the Grateful Dead and the birth of the alternative rock movement with Jane’s Addiction and the Pixies. Since 1987, he has shot over 300 assignments for Rolling Stone magazine. He shares his stories from four decades of music history and talks about his new photography book, “JAM.”

A Peek Inside "JAM"

Photos by Jay Blakesberg. Published with his permission.

The front cover of the book, featuring My Morning Jacket.

Ben Harper

Michael Franti and Spearhead

Carlos Santana

The back cover of the book featuring the band moe.

Jay Blakesberg, photographer for Rolling Stone Magazine and author of "JAM"

• Fay Nissenbaum

Regarding “Hippie Chick” book, ever notice how in DA Pennebaker’s great Monterey Pop movie, everyone shown is simply beautiful? I wonder how he culled out anyone who didnt quite fit the beautiful people approach. Does Jay have beauty standards in what he shoots and publishes?

• Fay Nissenbaum

Yea – The Pixies!

• binkyfever

I realize it’s a different genre and these are great pics but Murray Bowles has been taking better pictures in a more difficult environment (punk rock) for decades. A multi talented person who could have cashed in years ago but he apparently does not get off on the blather that this guy does.

• Cyndy Thomas

ALO captures the heart and soul of Jam ! Been playing together since Middle school in Saratoga and their interpersonal dynamic and vulnerable lyrics go straight to the emotion ! I love this band for how they love their fans ! The bass player says ” if you love them , they will love you back”

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor