NPR news analyst Cokie Roberts joins us to discuss the Ukraine crisis and other recent political developments. We’ll also talk to her about her new children’s book “Founding Mothers,” which she adapted from her 2004 bestseller of the same title.

Cokie Roberts, contributing senior news analyst for NPR; political commentator for ABC News; and author of the children's book, "Founding Mothers: Remembering the Ladies"

Is it true that Cokie gets $20,000 per speech on the lecture circuit? If so, how’s that compare to what an adjunct professor gets paid per semester?

• Bob Fry

Why is it that only some sort of “eye-for-an-eye” response is considered “strong”? I would consider the strongest President to be one that tells the armchair warhawks to eff-off.

• Sam Badger

Why is the American outrage over Putin’s intervention in Crimea taken so seriously? Do these people think everyone has forgotten Iraq, Panama, Grenada, the bay of pigs, etc? I doubt Putin has forgotten.

Americans are outraged over the invasion because two wrongs (US invasions juxtaposed with Russian invasions) don’t make a right, and as for US invasions your average American played no part in the decisions to launch those invasions and may have been opposed.

• Bob Fry

First, your average American couldn’t care less about Ukraine or Russia and are not outraged about anything relative to that issue.

The “outrage” Mr. Badger mentioned is the official outrage by Dems and Reps, the only difference being in degree and finger-pointing. It’s this official outrage that is so hypocritical and that has been completely ignored by KQED. As Mr. Badger states, the rest of the world recognizes our official hypocrisy very well, and our hypocrisy is probably causing us more damage than any intervention by Russia.

So you’re saying everyday Americans are self-centered and they think like peasants?

• Sam Badger

I was referring to the political leadership of the US (both “left” and “right”), I can see how the phrasing of the question was ambiguous though.

• Bob Fry

Huh! Not even Cokie could justify the hypocrisy. I’m very disappointed that in neither this segment nor the prior one with the Ambassador the US’s complete hypocrisy is not even mentioned. The very shallow discussions here, basically following establishment lines, is not what I expect from KQED.

• 99to1

But this following of establishment lines does happen, and fairly often, even here on KQED.
        Because foreign policy has so much to do with extractive capitalism, resource wars, and the ideological discipline necessary to compel ordinary people to fight them, foreign policy is one of the top two or three subject areas where the toe lines of orthodoxy are
        most firmly inscribed.

Overt censorship is rarely required, because the bounds on
        acceptable thought are so reliably circumscribed by those entrusted to head news outlets of elite repute.

I don’t say this to be unduly harsh on Michael Krasny or KQED.
        Like any organ of elite thought modeling, KQED conforms to unspoken rules that constrain all who choose to work within the system.

• Dan

If your are wondering why Russia may be opposing Ukraine’s EU integration, I encourage you to look deeper. To Russia, EU has an “ugly step sister”, NATO. The organization, which was not only preserved after Soviet Union went away, but continues to grow closer to the Russian borders. Is Ukraine next? Not only the that. Russia is commonly accused of Cold War mentality and justly so, but … Anyone who has followed Western press coverage of Russia, cannot help but notice overwhelmingly negative coverage of anything Russia-related. All of it continues to stroke Russian century old paranoia. Isolate Russia? Well, Russians already feel isolated in a world that is vocally anti-Russian. Not surprising that Putin’s rhetoric resonates strongly inside Russia. Engaging with Russia is the only way out, if only the West can shed its own Cold War mentality.

• trite

How rude, Mr. Krasny, to cut off the caller who was not allowed to finish his statement about political reaction to President Obama’s foreign policy. Talk about defensive tactics. Allow the listeners to make their own decisions about content. You may be the moderator–but you are not a dictator.

• jurban

Have you read David Brook’s NYT opinion on Putin’s respect for Russian philosophers and its influence on his plans for Russia? Any reaction?

• cooper29

I laughed at the hypocrisy of John Kerry when he said this past weeekend,”…you just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests…”

Counting the hypocrisy is mind numbing. CIA coup d’etat of Iran in 1953. Iraq twice, Libya, almost Syria. Drones killings of civilians in Pakistan & Yemen. How about our dirty deeds in Central and South America- 1973 coup d’etat in Chile, funding of the Contra rebels. How many governments have Washington and the CIA overthrown? How many bases does Washington have overseas? Please, will the real terrorist stand up.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor