Lisa Brown and Daniel Handler

San Francisco writer Daniel Handler, better known by his pen name Lemony Snicket, is the author of the bestselling children’s books “A Series of Unfortunate Events.” For his new picture book “29 Myths on the Swinster Pharmacy,” Handler teamed up with his wife, illustrator Lisa Brown. The book follows a girl, a boy and their little dog as they explore what secrets hide behind the pharmacy’s mysterious doors.

Excerpt from '29 Myths on the Swinster Pharmacy' by KQED News

Daniel Handler, author of "29 Myths on the Swinster Pharmacy" and creator and narrator of the set of children's books called "A Series of Unfortunate Events"
Lisa Brown, illustrator of "29 Myths on the Swinster Pharmacy," "The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming" and "Picture the Dead" and illustrator of the "3 Panel Book Review" cartoon for the SF Chronicle

I bet the secret is that the pharmacy is engaged in illegal clinical trials that dupe desperate and poor people into signing up and leave them disfigured.

• Kathy Wright

the happy prince by oscar wilde

• Cynthia Wong

“The Happy Prince” is by Oscar Wilde, not C.S. Lewis.

• CaliBarney

This is the best interview I’ve ever heard. I’ve never wanted to just hang out with a “celebrity,” but these two sound ridiculously fun, funny, clever and generally wonderful.

• Barry Ettenger

Love your bks, and unique pt of view. I’m a writer, former member of scbwi-but can’t get arrested. one of my titles-; BeWare of the BaWhat! interested in reading?

Barry E. cupertino

• giulia

My mother was also very funny macabre and we would all sing the”worms crawl in….”on road trips.I am a scardy cat. My son’s first optional read was “It”….. in Italy, read in English.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor