People attend a National Vigil for Victims of Gun Violence

Carla Fernandez lost her father to brain cancer when she was in college. Then she met Lennon Flowers, whose mother had died from lung cancer. Together, the two women formed The Dinner Party, which brings strangers together to share meals and find comfort in the shared experience of loss. We talk with Fernandez and Flowers about their organization and their own stories. Did you lose someone you were close to at a relatively young age? If so, how did you process the loss?

Guests:
Lennon Flowers, co-founder of The Dinner Party
Carla Fernandez, co-founder of The Dinner Party

• Jon Gold

Can your guest speak to the grieving ‘formula’ of; denial, anger, depression, bargaining & acceptance.

• Zippitydont

I lost my mother at 16, my father at 21, and now, last year, my wife. I am 59. your site mentions you’re a group of 20 – 30 something’s. Do you have have folks my age in your group?

• Michael Keys Hall

My father died when I was 17 and my
    Mother at 20. This was in 1967 and 1970. I still suffer from this loss in my life. Never really had help with it. I will look for a dinner to attend and share what I know and what I don’t.
    Michael
    Menlo park

• Kalen Wehagen

My mom was killed by a drunk driver when I was 19, my sister was 10, and my brother with downs syndrome was 7. It was an absolute shock and took me years to feel normal again. I can’t say there was anything specific that helped me but time and sharing my story. I still miss her to this day but can find joy in this wonderful life!

• Adriana

I lost my mom when I was 20 under violent circumstances. I’d like to know when and where will be a dinner in the SFO/ Bay Area. I’m 48 and like to share within my age group

• Mary

UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine and the SF Zen Hospice Project are collaborating on “Death Cafes,” where people can come together and talk about the “taboo” topic of death ~ just had one last night:
    http://www.osher.ucsf.edu/2014/01/06/osher-center-education-department-co-hosts-death-cafe-with-zen-hospice-project/

• Catherine Bowen Ster

Thank you Judy Campbell for an excellent and honest show about grief and the isolation that often follows. The Dinner Party is a wonderful and simple idea and I applaud Ms. Fernandez and Ms. Flowers. Your might be interested in our organization, Project Grace, which brings together grieving mothers, fathers, and families to travel on service trips. The idea is similar to that of The Dinner Party, to give people in grief a community, a positive focus for their grief, and a chance to keep the memory of their loved one alive by sharing their story. http://www.project-grace.org

• annie

Like Zippity.., I am 58 and would like to participate in a dinner party where discussions with grief are shared. Maybe I am being ageist in this instance but It would be interesting to be in a group that was around my age.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor