Rev. Glenda Hope

For more than four decades, Reverend Glenda Hope has worked in San Francisco’s troubled Tenderloin district, ministering to the poor, the homeless and prostitutes trying to get off the streets. She has conducted more than 1,000 memorial services for Tenderloin residents and homeless people from around the city. As part of our First Person series profiling notable people in the Bay Area, we’ll talk with the 77-year old minister who has just retired from her work with San Francisco Network Ministries.

Reverend Glenda Hope, founder of San Francisco Network Ministries

• Diana

I would like to help. How do I contact the organization?

• David

There’s a wonderful half-hour radio piece about two Dutch men who hold funerals for the dispossessed of Amsterdam. It deserved to win and did win honors at the Third Coast Festival in 2010.

• Bob Fry

Do the programs of international NGOs, for instance World Vision, help with the sex trafficking problem? I ask because we contribute to WV, and I hope our money is going to a program that really helps.

• Ehkzu

The reverend sounds like a wonderful person, doing a lifetime’s worth of good works. But I don’t get why Dr. Krasny has inserted repeated attacks on atheists and atheism into the discussion. Reverend Hope hasn’t brought it up and obviously doesn’t have an axe to grind on the topic.

It should be obvious that many good works are attributed to faith. But it should be equally obvious that religious fanaticism has been responsible for untold suffering around the world, and here in America the campaign to oppress blacks and other minorities has been and is being carried out by Bible-thumping regular churchgoers who think they’re doing God’s Work.

Likewise many good works are carried out by people with no religious faith whatsoever; ditto bad works.

Faith and good works are independent variables. Deal with it.

• “Philokalia” (Love of the Beautiful) to you Michael and Rev Glenda on this memorial day of “Hope & Dreams” whereby “Resilience” is a illuminate source of the beauty of the Soul & its Virtues. I have advocated in the Veterans World, a small piece of the whole puzzle of transitory issues of our homeless, our addicted and broken spirited, Wandering, traveling and sojourning. I accept I cannot assist in the whole puzzle, its not possible, yet to define specific sets applies to serving in areas and “nudge” forward the energy of safe and “wellbriety”. When I speak to raise philanthropic funding I remind the guests of the power the funding serves yet greater is the first hand knowledge, volunteer once a week, a month when you can. Many say, how can I help? I say, its starts with “your “What if”……The resilience is in the person, the successful reflecting their low times adds dimensions to those seeking a pathway..
    The power to add life and newness. I have witnessed many successful stories, countless “Mentors” were developed in a peer to peer. I have seen the love of the experience past come forward and change a direction of homelessness. I thank the VA Secretary for building 800+ mentors to serve in “all” communities. Its in partnerships we win this transitory issue. Best tenderfoot, for the Tenderloin safe and reliable. As Faith based has the highest success rate in homelessness resilience sharing I for one “Salute & Bow” humbly for your Love of the Beautiful. My faith says, if I meet a non-believer, My task is to simply make their journey as pleasant as possible, neither sadden or despise any thought, word or deed or lack of action.

• Beth Ann

This is a great topic! I’m a member of the Junior League of Palo Alto-Mid Peninsula and we, along with other California Junior Leagues, have taken on Human Trafficking as one of their big issues. We’ve been educating our membership and working with government officials to create policy change. It’s a national and international issue that needs more attention and funding. I hope you’ll revisit it again.

• Selostaja

If you sit outside the Weller Hotel on Post Street you will see open drug dealing. For the past 8 years I’ve watched young girls change from newbies to furtive bottom rung prostitutes anxiously waiting to score a fix. The range of users range from seniors to transgenders, surprising predominately white. Buyers call, then wait a few doors down. Then the dealer comes out, a heavy gold watch contrasting his wife beater and track pants, happily singing to himself. The addict then walks by and the money & drugs pass between them as a quick handshake. The money is not accumulated in the SRO; it is passed along to a beautiful top down Mercedes, Mariachi blaring, in a drive-by. The police I’ve stopped on the street has told me they don’t do narcotics. I believe this is a clear example of ‘containment’ while destroying several generations of residents.

• Skip Conrad

I wonder what effect the Sanctuary Laws have on human trafficking? What the Sanctuary Laws do is to encourage a foreigner without a current visa, to come to San Francisco, and unless he commits murder, the law is going to ignore the retainer. So a human trafficker has a field day in S.F. Today can’t touch him unless he commits murder, or something just as bad.

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor