(Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

The San Francisco 49ers beat the Green Bay Packers on Sunday to advance to face the Carolina Panthers in the divisional round of the 2014 NFL playoffs. We’ll preview the game.

Guests:
Mark Purdy, sports columnist, San Jose Mercury News and Bay Area News Group
Ray Ratto, columnist, CSN Bay Area.com

• Aaron

Big story for 2014? Early childhood education. State Senate leader Darrell Steinberg is introducing a bill to expand preschool in California, and several conservative states are already investing heavily in their own versions of universal preschool.

Why? Because there’s a growing mountain of evidence that a child’s brain develops most significantly during the first five years of life. Then there’s the immediate benefit of enabling parents to be in the workforce or complete their education.

Whether you’re motivated by compassion for people who need a helping hand, or the most efficient investments of public dollars, early childhood programs are a winner. And I’d like to see Forum use its great talents to explore this crucial element of our future.

• Aaron

Who cares about this homoerotic over-hyped brain-damaging sport?

• LaLeidi

I didn’t see your comment before I posted mine. Needless to say, I agree with you, Aaron! Thanks for providing an example of one of millions of possible stories that could have been covered that would have been most interesting than the NFL playoffs!

• LaLeidi

What a disappointment it was to turn on KQED and hear this topic! There are plenty of radio stations that waste their time promoting the local sports franchises. I tune in to KQED learn something new about topics that have some importance.

• Whogivesas#!te

What a disappointment to hear of your disappointment! Spare all of us your sanctimonious ranting, and go bah-humbug some other poor souls…

• LaLeidi

It is strange when people reply, not to express a contrary opinion, but to complain that others are expressing their opinions. Expressing opinions on the topic is the purpose of the comment section!

• Whogivesas#!te

It may be strange to you, but it certainly isn’t strange to the rest of us …

Happy New Year to you!!!

Sponsored by

Become a KQED sponsor